Vehicle Advice, Car Guys Help!

Votivee

Has anyone made the switch from an SUV to a car?

My dilemma is that there's a 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited Hatchback for sale in my area for an awesome price, has far less miles than my current vehicle, and I've wanted to own one for a few years now. I could easily afford it if I sold my current vehicle, but I feel like I may regret the switch from an SUV to a smaller vehicle.

I'd like to know what the community's opinion is on my situation and switching from a SUV to a car, and I'll post some things to consider below.

Currently I drive a 2005 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee in OK condition.

Some things to consider:

• I'm a college student and move around quite a bit of my belongings around every couple of months
  • I live in an area that gets LOTS of snow, and our winters last from late November to mid April, and 300+ inches of snow is an average winter for us
  • I do lots of winter driving as I'm an avid snowboarder and also a snowboard instructor
  • I drive in many very bad snowstorms as it's literally my job to go to work when it's snowing
  • I own a boat, and also a cargo trailer and tow both occasionally, but mostly use these in the summer so I would have access to another vehicle to tow these.
  • My Jeep gets 12-14 mpg at best during my daily driving vs. the Impreza's 18-20 mpg
  • I would also have to switch from automatic to manual, which I've never driven before but have an extremely good idea of how to drive
  • I do a lot of city driving during the school year

TLDR: My main concerns are if I can deal with the less space and how the Impreza will handle in a major snowstorm.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

As much as I love the Impreza, and I was like, "Yesssss, get it!"

I think with your daily life and environment, the Jeep will better suite your daily needs.

And, also, if you live in a busy area, manual will be a pain in the butt with traffic.

At the end of the day, it's your decision, so enjoy whatever you choose! :) 

Well the Impreza has AWD, so dependant on tyres, will be fine in snow until you run out of ground clearance. If they plough in your area it should be fine. When I visited the Swiss Alps last year, there were plenty of Subarus about so they must be reasonably competent in the snow.

City driving with a manual is fine, yeah autos are easier, but stop start traffic with a manual isn't the purgatory that some would have you believe. 

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

City driving with a manual is fine, yeah autos are easier, but stop start traffic with a manual isn't the purgatory that some would have you believe. 

Unless you're stopped on a hill. That takes awhile to get used to.

9 minutes ago, Seamonster420 said:

San Fransisco hills is pretty much purgatory for manual drivers, otherwise, is fairly easy.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 minutes ago, Seamonster420 said:

A 2010 Impreza may well have auto hill hold, in which case it's no different to pulling away on the flat. If it doesn't, feeling when the clutch has started to bite and then releasing the hand brake (called the parking brake in the US I believe?) quickly becomes second nature.

You want to buy reliability so go to the library and rent out Phil Edmonstons Lemon Aid book and read it.

Most imports are reliable. All depends on how much you want to spend. If its cheap, then stick with American where the parts are plentiful in thejunk yard. If you want to spend a couple thousand then research it.

I'm a college student and move around quite a bit of my belongings around every couple of months

You could probably rent a trailer if it has a tow bar. 

I live in an area that gets LOTS of snow, and our winters last from late November to mid April, and 300+ inches of snow is an average winter for us

I do lots of winter driving as I'm an avid snowboarder and also a snowboard instructor

I drive in many very bad snowstorms as it's literally my job to go to work when it's snowing

A good set of winter tyres. (STUDDED) will see you through most winter conditions provided your car isn't buried in snow.

And Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC for short) is a pretty competent traction control system.

I own a boat, and also a cargo trailer and tow both occasionally, but mostly use these in the summer so I would have access to another vehicle to tow these.

Then it should be a non-issue in terms of towing.

My Jeep gets 12-14 mpg at best during my daily driving vs. the Impreza's 18-20 mpg

Would be a noticeable difference. 

I would also have to switch from automatic to manual, which I've never driven before but have an extremely good idea of how to drive

You'll probably figure it out fairly quickly. And its a new car so it'll be pretty forgiving.

I do a lot of city driving during the school year

It'll probably be nice and cheap around town. 

Just check and see that insurance won't bite you in the arse and you'll probably be good to go.

You will lose out on a bit of trunk space. And interior space. But they are pretty nice cars.

317540a07aabc66a43349cb251abb189x.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You better get an insurance quote first.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Wrx's are usually beat to shit by douchebags in flatbills.  

Ditch the jeep though.  Those wk's aren't very good and too expensive to run and maintain for what they are. 

Find a good shop or dealership to do a full inspection before you buy.  

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

16 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

San Fransisco hills is pretty much purgatory for manual drivers, otherwise, is fairly easy.

Pretty easy to heel toe a clutch and brake in most cars.  

Yo soy el hombre murciélago