Is there a way to run Chrome OS/Chromium OS inside Virtual Box?

While running Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on a pretty much straightforward, I can't find any .ISO disk images for Chrome OS. I found something from here and here but it's a .img file which virtual box doesn't support. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Do you know any method @Comic_Sans_MS @Ryan_Vickers?

59264cf9f3f7b_Screenshot(113).png.f4d048b75f91e4e9e7cb499063c77776.png

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I don't know about .IMG files, but I know if you click on .iso files, windows will mount them as a drive on your computer, which I believe you can set VirtualBox to grab.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't know about .IMG files, but I know if you click on .iso files, windows will mount them as a drive on your computer, which I believe you can set VirtualBox to grab.

:(

corrupted.PNG.9ed153611e537efc8892ee20a5a08307.PNG

I tried downloading it twice and this is what I got

You must have downloaded this file from somewhere, and it must have come with some explanation.  Is it a disk image? (I guess not, since it's not working like that).  Is it an image file, like, the kind of file VB creates to simulate the HDD for a VM?  Perhaps... we need to start there; finding out what it is.

Edit: based on this command (dd if=ChromeOS.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M) I have a feeling it's the latter.  This file is the kind of file you'd get if you were taking an image of your HDD, or a partition on it.  Try just plugging it into VB as a HDD, rather than mounting it as a CD

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

You must have downloaded this file from somewhere, and it must have come with some explanation.  Is it a disk image? (I guess not, since it's not working like that).  Is it an image file, like, the kind of file VB creates to simulate the HDD for a VM?  Perhaps... we need to start there; finding out what it is.

I downloaded it as a .7z file from here and afterwards I used 7zip to extract the disk image but instead of an ISO file that virtual box can read, it was unfortunately a .img file. 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I downloaded it as a .7z file from here and afterwards I used 7zip to extract the disk image but instead of an ISO file that virtual box can read, it was unfortunately a .img file. 

See above, I edited with more info just before you posted :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

A quick google and I found this https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-run-chrome-os-in-virtualbox/ not sure if it helps

I was looking forward to something more straight forward like running Ubuntu on virtual box. I guess it's not. I can't even follow the steps in the Chromium website. 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I was looking forward to something more straight forward like running Ubuntu on virtual box. I guess it's not. I can't even follow the steps in the Chromium website. 

Well, it's not really designed to just be installed an run like a "normal" OS, think of it like Android.  It comes preloaded on devices and they didn't foresee any reason to use it any other way.

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Guess its not something people mess around with so they dont have chromium supported like the others

Reading into this more, and looking at the windows instructions, yeah, this is just an image file like you get when taking a disk image.  They're also used for raspberry pi, etc. fairly common things.

But, I see why you want to load it in directly since writing it to a USB needlessly is a pain, and booting VB from USB doesn't usually work anyway in my experience.

This means there's no choice, you have to just convert it.  Luckily, I see no reason that shouldn't be possible since conceptually, this is the same as an .iso.

In fact, there seems to be a tool here that can do it: http://www.imgtoiso.com/  Maybe try that?

OH, and nvm what I said about loading it straight in as a HDD, it's not one of those kinds.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Reading into this more, and looking at the windows instructions, yeah, this is just an image file like you get when taking a disk image.  They're also used for raspberry pi, etc. fairly common things.

But, I see why you want to load it in directly since writing it to a USB needlessly is a pain, and booting VB from USB doesn't usually work anyway in my experience.

This means there's no choice, you have to just convert it.  Luckily, I see no reason that shouldn't be possible since conceptually, this is the same as an .iso.

In fact, there seems to be a tool here that can do it: http://www.imgtoiso.com/  Maybe try that?

OH, and nvm what I said about loading it straight in as a HDD, it's not one of those kinds.

Thank you very much ?