Snapgragon 805 announced!

Eyal

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/11/20/qualcomm-technologies-newest-snapdragon-805-ultra-hd-processor

I don't care much about a 4K smartphone honestly more to other things, maybe tablets (although 2560x1600 is enough for now, and I'd rather save power than 4K on 10")

But this has an h.265 decoder 

And the mobile industry’s first commercial hardware support for HEVC (H.265) decode helps ensure extremely low-power HD video playback.

Also, an improved camera that allows higher capture speeds (1 Gpixel per secon) and new image processing, think of the 1080p slowmo.. think of the fast full res burst..

and better image processing.

a large increase in ISP and CPP (camera postprocessor) speed and throughput, empowering users to take sharper, higher resolution photos with advanced post-processing features for low light conditions.

AND! the new Adreno 420 has real shaders now, and it's 40% faster than the Adreno 330!!!

and a faster LTE A (up to 300 mbs) with the  MDM9x35 modem. this shouldn't be a big deal for us now (unless you live in koria or soon london)

Think about an tiny android based HTPC with a 805 like chip, 4K H.265 video are not that far, when more devices support it, there will be more content at H.265 4K that doesn't kill your bandwidth and you could (theoretically) also stream from your PC in 2.5K or 4K via Ethernet, if future hardware will be able to encode H.265 (which is far more intensive than H.264) at higher framerates like 250Hz it would probably need a power of a beast. and a lot of dev work to make H.265 encoding on GPU.. think of shadow play 2.0 or something with H.265 4K and stream it to an android HTPC.

Also the Adreno 420 will perform nicely 

POWER! lol

soon...

The Snapdragon 805 processor is sampling now and expected to be available in commercial devices by the first half of 2014.

Damn, that looks really nice!

I wish the PC arena would get a such performance boost every year..

What do you think?

This is a nice step up in tech but I fear this might be a bit on the premium side :l

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

right, when you are on the cutting edge, you get a hole in your pocket!

There's a joke there but I'll leave it alone

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

There's a joke there but I'll leave it alone

I think I understand...

Adreno 420 blaze it! Lol just kidding, but in all seriousness 4k on a phone is stupid.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

That's pretty cool. I still want to see 4K become mainstream on the desktop first though.

):

Samsung want's 4k on phones, then phones it is. Unless all the monitor company agree to make 4k cheaper and mainstream not going to happen :(

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Well does it matter where 4k appears first? If people hear 4k on phones they will want 4k on TV's and PC's and watches and everywhere xD.

Sounds good. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

Sweet! I want some 420 in my phone.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

End-to-end Ultra HD Display:

Not only will users of Snapdragon 805 powered devices be able to enjoy the crystal-clear Ultra HD on-device display resolution, but they’ll also be able to simultaneously output Ultra HD content to an HDTV.

It's nice I guess. Don't care for 4K tablets or phones but outputting 4K to a TV will be important once 4K TV and monitors become affordable.

Video:

With devices based on the Snapdragon 805 processor, users will be able to capture and stream Ultra HD video content on device or to an external monitor. Our own Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) format delivers further video post processing and video enhancements.  And the mobile industry’s first commercial hardware support for HEVC (H.265) decode helps ensure extremely low-power HD video playback.

This is the killer feature for me. Fansub groups will probably jump onto HEVC as soon as possible, while the regular scene will probably stick to H.264 for several years before realizing they are extremely outdated and update their guidelines... Will be nice to have hardware acceleration for my anime again (don't have it with the current 10 bit releases).

Half the file size with the same quality? Yes please.

Camera:

Snapdragon 805 processors also enable users to take, edit and share higher quality photos in low light conditions. The world’s first commercial mobile 1GPixel/s (Giga-pixel per second) ISP (image signal processor) packs a large increase in ISP and CPP (camera postprocessor) speed and throughput, empowering users to take sharper, higher resolution photos with advanced post-processing features for low light conditions.

High resolution slo-mo footage will be nice I guess, but other than that I don't really get the point. Doubt that the post processing for low light will do much either since the actual light gathering on the sensor is a huge bottleneck.

Graphics and Gaming:

Snapdragon 805 powered devices are also expected to deliver smooth, sharp UIs and games at Ultra HD resolution.  The new Adreno 420 GPU is the first commercial mobile GPU to introduce hardware tessellation and geometry shaders, which provide greater detail for visually stunning, realistic scenes and objects in a manner that requires less memory bandwidth and lower power consumption.

Saw someone mention a ~40% performance increase over the Adreno 320 which is fantastic. The Adreno 320 is already fantastic so this will be a really nice.

Fast, Seamless Connectivity:

Users of devices based on the Snapdragon 805 processor will enjoy fast, seamless connected mobile experiences, thanks to our 4th generation LTE modem, the MDM9x35.  It is the industry’s first commercial 20nm modem chipset and the first commercial chipset to support 40MHz LTE Advanced CA on both LTE TDD and LTE FDD duplexing modes. It also allows LTE Category 6 data rates of up to 300 Mbps download.

Well at least people will benefit from the smaller transistors (lower power consumption), even if they won't use LTE-A.

Only thing I am disappointed at is the CPU... Since it's still a Snapdragon 800 part and they didn't mention anything about it, I'm going to assume it is a Krait 400 CPU. By the time this is out, Samsung might have released the Cortex A57 based CPU they talked about. That will completely destroy Krait 400 in terms of performance.

Saw someone mention a ~40% performance increase over the Adreno 320 which is fantastic. The Adreno 320 is already fantastic so this will be a really nice.

Actually it's 40% increse over the 330 which is a BEAST!

SOME UPDATES! 

Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 Features 128-bit Memory, D3D11 Class GPU!!!

5534-7dfeaa5f_680_400.jpg

Qualcomm has released additional details regarding the company's latest chipset for mobile devices. The Snapdragon 805, announced earlier this week, will take over the Snapdragon 800 (a hugely successful chipset which can be found in almost every flagship device of this generation) as the company's most powerful solution for mobile. Powered by four Krait 450 cores clocked at 2.5 GHz, the cores itself aren't very different from the existing Krait 400 CPU cores. Except for minor tweaks and bug fixes, this is more of a process clock optimization than anything else.

Memory interface has been beefed up to 128-bit (while Apple moved down to 64-bit with the Apple A7), and support for LPDDR3-1600 means that the platform can offer as much as 25.6 GB/s memory bandwidth. Also, Qualcomm has added a 36-bit LPAE (Large Physical Address Extensions) which will allow the Snapdragon 805 to address more than 4 GB of RAM. This should do until 64-bit solutions arrive, perhaps a year from now.

The Adreno 420 is the new star GPU, with support for Microsoft D3D11 and full OpenCL 1.2 support. Dedicated tesselation hardware is present, and Qualcomm is claiming a 2x texture performance increase per pipe. Overall, you can expect to see a 40% increase in performance over the Adreno 330 GPU.

SOURCE: http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/5534/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-features-128-bit-memory-d3d11-class-gpu.html

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer