WD My Passport Ultra Failure?

Appleboy45

I did post something with another much older and much more used WD 250GB IDE hard drive, but I have a much newer and less used WD My Passport Ultra 2TB that I bought in 2015. As you can see in the picture, the power on hours is decently low. I did do a decent amount of writing to the drive however. One day, I plugged in my hard drive to one of my computers, and CrystalDiskInfo notified me that the drive has reallocated sectors. Now I'm still trying to get my head around S.M.A.R.T. data, though I think I'm starting to have a better time understanding it after some research. The values are above the manufacture's thresholds. So I'm guessing that is good. I still don't know what the raw values mean. I did do more testing in WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (Both the short and extended test), Seagate's SeaTools (Short DST and short generic test, I couldn't get the long generic test to work for some reason), and SpeedFan (Only the online test since the quick and extended are unsupported). All these programs say the drive is okay. As long as the S.M.A.R.T. data doesn't tell me the drive is getting worst, should I really worry about a drive failure? Especially since the drive is an important drive. The drive still had one more year of warranty, though I'm not sure if my case needs to be worst in order to get a warranty claim. Like if the drive is under the manufacture's set thresholds or if the drive fails the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility for example. Though I may still email WD just for the heck of it. And if this is something that I shouldn't worry about, aside from the S.M.A.R.T. parameters getting worst, when should I really start worry about possible drive failure so hopefully I'm not having to ask a bunch of people for what could be a simple answer.

P.S. Yes the computer is running Windows Vista, but I am going to be upgrading the O.S. soon, so don't complain about it.5925d2f88a176_WDMyPassportUltra2TBS.M.A.R.T_Data.thumb.jpg.3fdcc267f840f26f5742702ca58e6b71.jpg

well since bad sectors are going up, and probably will continue to go up, id replace it soon. bad sectors don't mean that the drive has failed, but probably will soon.

drive probably won't make errors.

Get hd tune and scan the sectors, it will take about 2-3 hours, but i tells you if there is any bad or reallocated sectors, from there you can see how bad the damage is. btw i have the exact same drive and scanned mine the other day and it doesnt have any bad sectors, but i use mine as just a regular back up so thats probably why, been in use for about a year.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

On 5/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, Tamesh16 said:

Get hd tune and scan the sectors, it will take about 2-3 hours, but i tells you if there is any bad or reallocated sectors, from there you can see how bad the damage is. btw i have the exact same drive and scanned mine the other day and it doesnt have any bad sectors, but i use mine as just a regular back up so thats probably why, been in use for about a year.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

I downloaded the trial version and before I did the scan, the S.M.A.R.T. data said the drive has problems. I'm running the scan right now. This might sound like a stupid question, but what are the current reallocated sector count values?

45 minutes ago, Appleboy45 said:

I downloaded the trial version and before I did the scan, the S.M.A.R.T. data said the drive has problems. I'm running the scan right now. This might sound like a stupid question, but what are the current reallocated sector count values?

Your drive has some space dedicated as spare sectors. When a drive find a sector in use that's bad, it'll move the data to one of these spare sectors. Obviously, if it keeps going up, that's a very bad thing. You probably have some drive damage going on.

Oh, for WD drives, WD Lifeguard Diagnostics (Extended Test) will scan a drive end to end, but it takes several hours. I scan every drive I buy now because I've gotten several dud drives and I can't risk several days of RAID rebuild time just to find out a drive is bad.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Your drive has some space dedicated as spare sectors. When a drive find a sector in use that's bad, it'll move the data to one of these spare sectors. Obviously, if it keeps going up, that's a very bad thing. You probably have some drive damage going on.

Oh, for WD drives, WD Lifeguard Diagnostics (Extended Test) will scan a drive end to end, but it takes several hours. I scan every drive I buy now because I've gotten several dud drives and I can't risk several days of RAID rebuild time just to find out a drive is bad.

That's what I'm going to do from now on. Though for some reason I couldn't get the extended test to fail despite two of my programs say that I have problems.

1 minute ago, Appleboy45 said:

That's what I'm going to do from now on. Though for some reason I couldn't get the extended test to fail despite two of my programs say that I have problems.

That's interesting. Yeah, for me, it's always failed drives alongside with other SMART testing programs (Or just me watching the SMART data go up in values...)