Video Game Crashing at very specific instances! Can you Solve this mystery?

Joshafool

Introduction

This issues has been posted on both the Steam and Activision forums but the good hearted participants have been unable to successfully identify the cause and therefore a solution is unknown. Out of option I am posting on this forum in hopes that the strong technical background of fellow fans of Linus Tech Tips will have an answer to this problem. Please note that there are multiple users effected by this problem with different hardware configurations then mine.

Summary

Black Ops 2 Zombies Tranzit Freezes and soon after crashes at specific location around the map.

Video with commentary of a crash in real time

The video above visually describes the following

While playing Green Run - Tranzit my screen will freeze on one frame (like a screen shot). The game will keep going and the audio sounds fine. I can hear myself enter the pause menu (and navigate around in it), shoot my weapon, die, be revived and all the usual stuff but the screen is frozen on one frame of the game. It stays like that until I ctrl+alt+delete out but eventually the game will crash by itself after about 2 minutes.

If you are not familiar with Tranzit, it is a Zombie survival game in which small maps are linked together to form one big giant map which the only goal is to survive endless waves of zombies separated by rounds. The crashes happen while traveling between the small maps in an area known as the fog. These crashes can happen on any round and it seems random.

The following does not fix the issue

• Reinstalling game
  • Verifying integrity
  • Reinstalling windows
  • Updating windows
  • Updating gpu drivers
  • Updating sound drivers
  • Changing in game graphics settings to low
  • Disabling sound devices not in use
  • Not a common hardware issue between users effected
  • Using a Gamebooster
  • Underclocking and overclocking GPUs
  • Turning off windows Aero
  • Running t6zm.exe (Black Ops 2 Zombies .exe) as admin
  • Disk Defragmentation

If you think you know what the problem is consider yourself more intelligent then Steam, Activision and Windows technical support. If you need anymore info please ask.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Personal Build

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor (3 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM

Page File: 1804MB used, 10480MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 560

Display Memory: 2769 MB

Dedicated Memory: 978 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: LG W2254(Digital)

Output Type: DVI

Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1064 (English)

Driver Version: 310.90

Driver Date/Size: 11/22/2012 04:13:59, 18045968 byte

Just throwing in an idea I have no idea if it will work.

Try killing explorer.exe while playing.

(to restart explorer.exe just CTRL+ALT+DEL and run task manager hit "new task.." type: explorer.exe and it should start again.)

As I said I don't know if this will work, but it might be worth a shot :)

In your list you haven't mentioned DirectX or Microsoft Visual C++ (2005, 2008 or 2010) update. Maybe that helps :)

P.S. To embed video you can use code [video =youtube;pAUCMXCbOJg]

but without space between video and =

P.P.S. I don't consider myself more intelligent than Steam, Activision and Windows technical support. I just want to help :D

Passionate indie android developer

Thank you for the info I have now embedded the video for easier viewing. I have reinstalled the latest DirectX and MS Visual C++ has been updated. No effect on issue. Good thinking though.

Have you tried disable antivirus while playing or add game to exception list? Of course if you use one biggrin.png

Passionate indie android developer

Most probably it's a hardware issue, try to borrow a friends card if he has any he can lend you. If not, try to boot from a fresh copy of windows on either a old or new empty hard drive or usb and see if it's windows 7. good luck man, i hoped this helped

Maybe a direct X error. That could do that. It could be a defective card but that would probably cause crashes in more then Black Ops 2.

zombies have a tendency to crash if you dont have enough ram. my friend had issues with it and he went from 4gb to 8gb and it hasnt happened again.