Floatplane Thoughts and ideas

ello. I was just thinking about floatplane club, and decided to write down my thoughts. 

Notes and thoughts about floatplane club.

Type of creators you want on there. 

Of course, having other tech channels would be a good starting place, but I feel that adding more tech channels wouldn't lead to as big of an increase in paid subscribers as you would want. Due to a very Minuet change in audiences. With that being said. Getting people such as MKBHD, Unbox Therapy, Austin Evans, Paul’s hardware, would be a good place to start. 

Channels that might be a good fit and are outside the tech realm. 

So, there are many YouTube channels out there. Obviously, you in theory would want ones that have the most subscribers because they would in theory bring in the most new subscribers. But I think that for obvious reasons you should have some criteria. It wouldn't make sense to reach out to YouTubers who only post spuraticly. This wouldn't really be all that helpful for them, and in the end if someone has less than 1 video every two weeks splitting the views between the platforms would probably end up costing them a net loss in profits. With that being said. People Like Birdman, the game Theorist, and even Mike Thompson. Might be a good choice

The others.

I think that there is one other group of people that are missing here. The people who the YouTube monetization policy is destroying their ability to make a sustainable living off of video creation. As much as I don't really like the type of content they put out. H3H3 productions is getting destroyed. They are actively on the verge of no longer being self-sustainable. They will go under unless they can find a better platform to release their content. Or YouTube fixes their advertisement policy. I think that this maybe where you can pull in the most money. People like H3H3 have a very dedicated fan base and I am sure they would be willing to pay to keep their channel alive and well.

General questions I have.

So, YouTube has very strict copyright laws and such like that. As well as anti-spam protocols. I was wondering how you are going to deal with those problems. Specifically, the copyright thing could have very serious ramifications. Another question I have been wondering but I am sure is a long way off yet. Is how much will floatplane club cost. Obviously with more creators the paid subscriptions will rise. Along with the ability to monetize your platform. But obviously you don't want to be too high on the Laffer curb. Along with being able to compete with things like Netflix. I was also wondering how you are setting up your CDN. I can't imagine that all of your traffic is going through the LMG server room? Renting server space overseas or even more locally seems like a good idea. 

General thoughts about things that would make the viewing experience better. 

First, I know that you already know this but an app would be amazing. But let's start with the website. So right now, on floatplane club there is no way for me to airplay the video to my Apple TV from the website. And honestly, I have no idea how you would make that work. But I would love it if you could. (I am trying to take advantage of the quality being produced by the RED camera). The second thing is about audio. I think that if you were to broaden your basis and also add podcasts you could pull in a lot of people. As there is currently no good way to get Apple podcasts on to Android. I am sure that if you added this to your website. Podcast creators would take advantage of the fact that they can now reach the other half of the phone population. As a very avid user of Plex I would love to see some tie ins there. Also, even make a repository for XMBC/Kodi could be a good idea! Other payment options could be a good idea. About five years ago my PayPal account got hacked on their end so I am weary of using it. And would love some sort of direct payment. But for now, that is a small issue. 

1 minute ago, jcarter1105 said:

Unbox Therapy,

don't think sellout therapy will come to this platform.  

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

don't think sellout therapy will come to this platform.  

@nerdslayer1 Hahaha Sellout therapy, I like it. They might not. but the point is that in all reality you don't really need them. 

5 minutes ago, jcarter1105 said:

@nerdslayer1 Hahaha Sellout therapy, I like it. They might not. but the point is that in all reality you don't really need them. 

youtube still has a lifespan, it's not the end of the world, currently, it's not bad as it seems especially for people in the tech field who don't do anything edgy. i am no idea what the future of the platform is, for now, it is still a very big platform that has is and will be growing. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

youtube still has a lifespan, it's not the end of the world, currently, it's not bad as it seems especially for people in the tech field who don't do anything edgy. i am no idea what the future of the platform is, for now, it is still a very big platform that has is and will be growing. 

So i am specifically speaking to the launch of floatplane. We can add tech channels in. but in the beginning we want to rely more on the channels that will give us new paid subscribers. 

Just now, jcarter1105 said:

So i am specifically speaking to the launch of floatplane. We can add tech channels in. but in the beginning we want to rely more on the channels that will give us new paid subscribers. 

I think we should get pewdiepie. I heard he's having trouble on YT

Just now, jcarter1105 said:

they are planning on it, for now, they just want to officially launch a fully built site instead of the beta stage it's currently in. 

Can someone quote the whole post so I can read it in dark theme xD

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just my thoughts about the floatplane and some ideas for features. I did send a message to CatBoiler and Luke, but hey, doesn't cost me anything to post it here as well, maybe some people will like them.

The main idea would be to not just build a video player, but a whole, interactive platform that would help creators have better interaction with viewers. For the most of part it would be a set of tools that creators could use. For every “genre” of videos I can think of at least one or two that would make them far more interesting and entertaining

My main ideas are:

-          Simple, in-player polls (Do you like the new background/music/hosting style etc.) that would not interrupt the video, but would give creator more votes since viewers would not have to go to external page etc.

-          “Quick comment” function that would allow viewers to comment on a specific moment of the video (“That scared the sh*t out of me!) that could take them off the main comment section. Viewers would be able to choose if they want other’s quick comments to be displayed in the corner of the player. If there were displayed, viewer would be able to see what other people thought about this moment.

-          “Quick reaction” could be just something like forum’s rating (informative, funny, thumbs up, agree etc.) but also in real time. Would give creators insights about what parts of the video (jokes, actions) viewers liked.

-          Better subtitle support. I tried subtitle creator on Youtube and it was terrible. It would make it easier for people with poor English to watch videos of English speakers. Also, it would make it possible to watch videos without audio (I quite often watch videos during lectures where I cannot really wear headphones)

-          In-player graphics – It would be cool if during LTT videos you could pause a video while they’re showing a chart and you would be able to hover over the chart to display more information.

-          In-player, clickable timestamps that would lead to a specific moment in the video (During PC build guides all of the “Installing MoBo” etc.)

A bit more advanced stuff:

-          I ALWAYS dreamed about being able to switch views during the video. If you’re watching a gameplay and you really don’t want to see the youtuber’s face, you can just delete that view and you have a full, unobstructed view of the game. If you want to see gamer’s reaction you can bring it back. During so many tutorial videos I wish I could switch between say camera view and screen recording so I can watch what is the most important for me and be able to switch it around if I need to. This could be useful for so many different “genres” of videos (gaming, tutorials, music covers, cooking shows, PC build guides etc.) I know that it would essentially mean streaming multiple video tracks which could cripple servers, but if done right (stream only the content that user wants to show with resolution that matches the size of the "frame"), it could work.

-          Multiple audio tracks. If music in the background of the video annoys you, you can just mute it or lower its volume. This (again) could work for many different types of videos and would remove so much hate from the comment sections.

-          Zoom option – I have Internet connection that can handle 4k, I don’t have a computer that can handle it. It would be way better for me if I could play video in 4k and zoom in to a part of the screen that I’m interested in. I am talking mostly about programming tutorials that very often are just a screen recording and the part of the screen that I’m interested in is very small.

-          Private, “live” watching videos with friends – you would be able to start a session of a video and send a link to your friends where they could join and live chat together and share their comments and reactions.

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

Are you copy pasting your text from somewhere?

Or purposefully changing the colour to make it hard to read?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, jcarter1105 said:

ello. I was just thinking about floatplane club, and decided to write down my thoughts. 

Of course, having other tech channels would be a good starting place, but I feel that adding more tech channels wouldn't lead to as big of an increase in paid subscribers as you would want. Due to a very Minuet change in audiences. With that being said. Getting people such as MKBHD, Unbox Therapy, Austin Evans, Paul’s hardware, would be a good place to start. 

So, there are many YouTube channels out there. Obviously, you in theory would want ones that have the most subscribers because they would in theory bring in the most new subscribers. But I think that for obvious reasons you should have some criteria. It wouldn't make sense to reach out to YouTubers who only post spuraticly. This wouldn't really be all that helpful for them, and in the end if someone has less than 1 video every two weeks splitting the views between the platforms would probably end up costing them a net loss in profits. With that being said. People Like Birdman, the game Theorist, and even Mike Thompson. Might be a good choice

The others.

I think that there is one other group of people that are missing here. The people who the YouTube monetization policy is destroying their ability to make a sustainable living off of video creation. As much as I don't really like the type of content they put out. H3H3 productions is getting destroyed. They are actively on the verge of no longer being self-sustainable. They will go under unless they can find a better platform to release their content. Or YouTube fixes their advertisement policy. I think that this maybe where you can pull in the most money. People like H3H3 have a very dedicated fan base and I am sure they would be willing to pay to keep their channel alive and well.

So, YouTube has very strict copyright laws and such like that. As well as anti-spam protocols. I was wondering how you are going to deal with those problems. Specifically, the copyright thing could have very serious ramifications. Another question I have been wondering but I am sure is a long way off yet. Is how much will floatplane club cost. Obviously with more creators the paid subscriptions will rise. Along with the ability to monetize your platform. But obviously you don't want to be too high on the Laffer curb. Along with being able to compete with things like Netflix. I was also wondering how you are setting up your CDN. I can't imagine that all of your traffic is going through the LMG server room? Renting server space overseas or even more locally seems like a good idea. 

First, I know that you already know this but an app would be amazing. But let's start with the website. So right now, on floatplane club there is no way for me to airplay the video to my Apple TV from the website. And honestly, I have no idea how you would make that work. But I would love it if you could. (I am trying to take advantage of the quality being produced by the RED camera). The second thing is about audio. I think that if you were to broaden your basis and also add podcasts you could pull in a lot of people. As there is currently no good way to get Apple podcasts on to Android. I am sure that if you added this to your website. Podcast creators would take advantage of the fact that they can now reach the other half of the phone population. As a very avid user of Plex I would love to see some tie ins there. Also, even make a repository for XMBC/Kodi could be a good idea! Other payment options could be a good idea. About five years ago my PayPal account got hacked on their end so I am weary of using it. And would love some sort of direct payment. But for now, that is a small issue. 

6 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Can someone quote the whole post so I can read it in dark theme xD

There you go :D

Try, fail, learn, repeat...

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Are you copy pasting your text from somewhere?

Or purposefully changing the colour to make it hard to read?

From word not on purpose

2 minutes ago, jcarter1105 said:

From word not on purpose

When you copy paste click the "remove formatting" button ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, zwirek2201 said:

There you go :D

Not helping. You need to press Remove formatting button.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, jcarter1105 said:

The others.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, zwirek2201 said:

Just my thoughts about the floatplane and some ideas for features. I did send a message to CatBoiler and Luke, but hey, doesn't cost me anything to post it here as well, maybe some people will like them.

The main idea would be to not just build a video player, but a whole, interactive platform that would help creators have better interaction with viewers. For the most of part it would be a set of tools that creators could use. For every “genre” of videos I can think of at least one or two that would make them far more interesting and entertaining

My main ideas are:

-          Simple, in-player polls (Do you like the new background/music/hosting style etc.) that would not interrupt the video, but would give creator more votes since viewers would not have to go to external page etc.

-          “Quick comment” function that would allow viewers to comment on a specific moment of the video (“That scared the sh*t out of me!) that could take them off the main comment section. Viewers would be able to choose if they want other’s quick comments to be displayed in the corner of the player. If there were displayed, viewer would be able to see what other people thought about this moment.

-          “Quick reaction” could be just something like forum’s rating (informative, funny, thumbs up, agree etc.) but also in real time. Would give creators insights about what parts of the video (jokes, actions) viewers liked.

-          Better subtitle support. I tried subtitle creator on Youtube and it was terrible. It would make it easier for people with poor English to watch videos of English speakers. Also, it would make it possible to watch videos without audio (I quite often watch videos during lectures where I cannot really wear headphones)

-          In-player graphics – It would be cool if during LTT videos you could pause a video while they’re showing a chart and you would be able to hover over the chart to display more information.

-          In-player, clickable timestamps that would lead to a specific moment in the video (During PC build guides all of the “Installing MoBo” etc.)

A bit more advanced stuff:

-          I ALWAYS dreamed about being able to switch views during the video. If you’re watching a gameplay and you really don’t want to see the youtuber’s face, you can just delete that view and you have a full, unobstructed view of the game. If you want to see gamer’s reaction you can bring it back. During so many tutorial videos I wish I could switch between say camera view and screen recording so I can watch what is the most important for me and be able to switch it around if I need to. This could be useful for so many different “genres” of videos (gaming, tutorials, music covers, cooking shows, PC build guides etc.) I know that it would essentially mean streaming multiple video tracks which could cripple servers, but if done right (stream only the content that user wants to show with resolution that matches the size of the "frame"), it could work.

-          Multiple audio tracks. If music in the background of the video annoys you, you can just mute it or lower its volume. This (again) could work for many different types of videos and would remove so much hate from the comment sections.

-          Zoom option – I have Internet connection that can handle 4k, I don’t have a computer that can handle it. It would be way better for me if I could play video in 4k and zoom in to a part of the screen that I’m interested in. I am talking mostly about programming tutorials that very often are just a screen recording and the part of the screen that I’m interested in is very small.

-          Private, “live” watching videos with friends – you would be able to start a session of a video and send a link to your friends where they could join and live chat together and share their comments and reactions.

Like forums, FPC content isn't hosted in house. Obviously they aren't going to go into details how setup works. Security and  trade secrets and stuff.

More payment options were confirmed in last WAN Shows afterparty. No ETA though.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv