MX-4 for gpu: ok or not ok?

Hi everyone.

Recently my gpu started to fall in thermal throttling even at highest fan rpms, so I decided to change a thermal compound. Well, it's cheaper than getting a new gpu.

I went online to buy some AC mx-4, but I faced many negative comments that it deteriorates fast, especially while running temps over 70 C (as it will be with gpu cooling).

So, the question is, is it reliable for applying on gpu or I should get someting else? Thanks.

P.S. There's no IC diamond in any local stores, neither it is available for shipping (lol, shipping thermal paste) for me.

ive been running it on my gtx 1080 for a while now about 4 weeks. seems to run good.  personally im moving all the way over to thermalgrizzly kryonaut and conductonaut for all my TIM.  

i get about 50 to 60C load temps on my 1080, may be different if u are not running a hybrid card like a seahawk or EVGA hybrid.

Faith: WIP

Cpu: intel 6700k

RAM: g.skill ripjaw v 3200mhz 16 18 18 38 2n 32gb 4x8gb

MB: Asrock extreme 7+

GPU: GTX 1080 TI Poseidon Platinum Asus ROG
PSU: Cougar 1050W 80+ gold

Case: IN WIN 509 ROG [ black red ]

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Perfectly fine for GPU and CPU and i even use it on my south and north bridges for the lolz haven't had a issue yet. i got a 11gram tube for $35 Australian. 

http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/2-kryonaut

is the manufacture website and it will list almost all the global retailers who stock it. 

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

1 minute ago, vESP said:

ive been running it on my gtx 1080 for a while now about 4 weeks. seems to run good.  personally im moving all the way over to thermalgrizzly kryonaut and conductonaut for all my TIM.  

i get about 50 to 60C load temps on my 1080, may be different if u are not running a hybrid card like a seahawk or EVGA hybrid.

Got it, thanks for your respond.

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

Got it, thanks for your respond.

i have even put on my girlfriends gtx 580 and it made the temps more controllable [ mx4 ]

If you're already changing it, get liquid metal and use that. (preferably Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut)

Just now, Yoola said:

If you're already changing it, get liquid metal and use that. (preferably Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut)

Well, maybe. I didn't work with such things, so I should learn more about them first. Kind 'a afraid of possible hardware damage.

i used MX4 on my R9 290 and its deff better than stock , i can only reccomend it , its also nonconductive so if you goop a Little too much it wont hurt anything

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i used MX4 on my R9 290 and its deff better than stock , i can only reccomend it , its also nonconductive so if you goop a Little too much it wont hurt anything

Don't forget the non capacitive aspect as well-which is why getting some AS5 into the socket of one of my LGA775 motherboard pretty much destroyed it (I dropped the CPU upside down into the socket absentmindedly-never work on a rig after a long stint without sleep).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Don't forget the non capacitive aspect as well-which is why getting some AS5 into the socket of one of my LGA775 motherboard pretty much destroyed it (I dropped the CPU upside down into the socket absentmindedly-never work on a rig after a long stint without sleep).

That's why it's not for me. Something can always go wrong :D Probably will stick with kryonaut for now. It's only available for ordering anyways.

29 minutes ago, Yoola said:

Only if you want to kill your GPU.

42 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Hi everyone.

Recently my gpu started to fall in thermal throttling even at highest fan rpms, so I decided to change a thermal compound. Well, it's cheaper than getting a new gpu.

I went online to buy some AC mx-4, but I faced many negative comments that it deteriorates fast, especially while running temps over 70 C (as it will be with gpu cooling).

So, the question is, is it reliable for applying on gpu or I should get someting else? Thanks.

P.S. There's no IC diamond in any local stores, neither it is available for shipping (lol, shipping thermal paste) for me.

MX-4 is fine to use. IC diamond is actually not recommended for GPUs because it scratches the die. I think AS5 is slightly better but it's not worth getting it if you already bought the MX-4.

21 minutes ago, paprikman said:

That's why it's not for me. Something can always go wrong :D Probably will stick with kryonaut for now. It's only available for ordering anyways.

kryo has a little applying took u can never really stuff the installation with as u spread it a cross the die or sink etc also is one of the most heat transferring pastes ive tried, i prefer it over AS5, Noctua thermal paste and MX4

3 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

MX-4 is fine to use. IC diamond is actually not recommended for GPUs because it scratches the die. I think AS5 is slightly better but it's not worth getting it if you already bought the MX-4.

Ok, thanks.

Didn't bought anything yet, thinking to get kryonaut after @vESP comments and reading some info about it.

34 minutes ago, Yoola said:

expensive AF and its easy to mess up the card.

6 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

AS5 is trash paste, its old and outdated. MX-4 preforms better.

as for OPs question, MX-4 is an exelent paste for your GPU, its quite runny and can sortof glue the cooler to the card but if you just slide the cooler off instead of pulling it it should be good. i have used a lot of NT-H1 and MX-2 which are both good pastes(well MX-2 isnt that good, its just not bad) which have basically the same thickness as MX-4 and they tend to have that problem, which is only a problem really when working with PGA sockets and even then isnt really a problem.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

AS5 is trash paste, its old and outdated. MX-4 preforms better.

...They are within a degree of each other. MX-4 has been out for a long time too. It pretty much doesn't matter which one you buy. Stop being an asshole about it. 

Just now, NannerBeans said:

...They are within a degree of each other. MX-4 has been out for a long time too. It pretty much doesn't matter which one you buy. Stop being an asshole about it. 

MX-4 is cheaper and has better properties. i just cant really stand for anyone recomending AS5 anymore tbh. sorry i was a bit rude though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

If you don't kniw what you're doing you can kill it anyways. It's not for you if you don't know how to. People are seeing massive drops with liquid metal. And when you're doing it, it's not worth replacing it with something that'll vary by 1°C - 2°C.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

MX-4 is cheaper and has better properties. i just cant really stand for anyone recomending AS5 anymore tbh. sorry i was a bit rude though

I wouldn't buy AS5 either but there are some benchmarks that say it's slightly better and some that say it's slightly worse than MX-4. In my mind, they're basically the same but yes, AS5 tends to be more expensive. If I need to purchase thermal paste, I usually go with Gelid if I'm willing to spend a little more or MX-4 if I want a cheaper paste. 

2 minutes ago, Yoola said:

If you don't kniw what you're doing you can kill it anyways. It's not for you if you don't know how to. People are seeing massive drops with liquid metal. And when you're doing it, it's not worth replacing it with something that'll vary by 1°C - 2°C.

No dude. Conductive TIMs should only be used on the CPU, not the GPU. There is a much higher risk of shorting something out on a GPU as opposed to the CPU. 

7 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

No dude. Conductive TIMs should only be used on the CPU, not the GPU. There is a much higher risk of shorting something out on a GPU as opposed to the CPU. 

But you don't just slap liquid metal on the chip and call it a day. You have to spread it in thin layer and remove any excess. It takes time to do but can be rewarding. And ofcourse, it can only be done on copper material, so more research is needed.

9 minutes ago, Yoola said:

get a speck of that anywhere but the dye and the card is fried.

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Yoola said:

But you don't just slap liquid metal on the chip and call it a day. You have to spread it in thin layer and remove and excess. It takes time to do but can be rewarding. And ofcourse, it can only be done on copper material, so more research is needed.

Yes, I know how to apply it. I use liquid metal myself. But on a CPU, the leads that shouldn't be shorted are much farther away from the dye and can be either taped up or clear coated. On the GPU, not so much. You can't have any excess at all and you need to cover the entire die to get good performance which means no matter how careful you are, you will likely not cover the entire die, or you will have some excess and kill your GPU. It's not worth it for the mild temperature gain. 

Dat thermal paste hollywar here :D

Thanks everyone for responding, I ordered Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Will reply later about achieved results with it.

4 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Dat thermal paste hollywar here :D

Thanks everyone for responding, I ordered Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Will reply later about achieved results with it.

thats paste for LN2 cooling...

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats paste for LN2 cooling...

and i personally use it. and confirm it runs better then damned mx4