Trying not to Cry, just fried mobo #3, no one on any other forum can identify the problem. . . please. . . .help.

2 hours ago, matt91195 said:

This may sound silly, but try disconnecting the front power button connector and jumping your computer to turn it on with a screwdriver.

Edit: To rule out a short in the front I/O connections.

I shall try that when returning home, however after the first build I even went through the trouble of swapping out my chassis, because I had originally thought that I receive a case with a broken standoff.

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

So, have you built it outside the case at all? The thread's a bit of a mess at the moment..

No, I have not. I read that is good to try but I didn't see how it would benefit me since I'm certain its user error during installation. Perhaps I shall try that with the 4th motherboard. . . . . ;( But yes, it sure is ;(

This seems to happen on every forum, a flurry of replies on post and then no one responds again? :(

Try adding what you did from the following suggestions so we know where you are at with the troubleshooting and we know what to recommend :)

10 minutes ago, MrKitty said:

This seems to happen on every forum, a flurry of replies on post and then no one responds again? :(

gotta let us know what happens with the previous suggestions. especially building outside the case.

most likely right now that im thinking (i havent watched the videos yet, still at work) is either a grounding issue, or a short in the front panel connectors.

I know you said there is no visible damage, however you should be able to smell at least roughly where it fried. burny smell will be strongest where it died, that info would be helpful.

ill follow the thread so i can keep up and do what i can to help

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Well right now I am more curious as to someone figuring out what I did, most of the suggestions received are things to try when rebuilding, which I am trying for the 4th time tomorrow. But ideally, I would like to see if someone who had maybe watched the video could tell me determine if it is something incredibaly obvious I may have missed, before I attempt to do any kind of rebuild on my own.  I received this post recently on another forum

The minimum to start is the mobo, your CPU chip, its cooling system, ONE stick of RAM, your monitor connected to the video output and power, and your power supply. The thermal paste between CPU chip and cooler MUST be installed. The CPU cooler MUST be connected to the CPU_FAN header of the mobo. Normally the power supply would be plugged into the main mobo connector, plus the special connector to the CPU power input header. Your mobo has on-board video, so use the output connector from that on the back panel for your monitor. Only those two connectors from the PSU should be required. To turn this on you need to check the location of the for two pins on the mobo's Front Panel header that are used to plug in the PWR SW leads from your case's front panel. To turn on, simply short these two pins together for a second or two - a simple small screwdriver blade will suffice. A momentary connection of those two pins is sufficient.

When it turns on you should see on the monitor a sequence of POST messages followed by a few beeps (IF your mobo has a "speaker") and some error messages. These may warn that no keyboard is attached, and certainly should tell you it could not find any boot device. If that's what you get, all those components are working. So you shut down - easiest way is to turn off the power switch on the back of the PSU - and proceed to the next step.

Next, add a keyboard, turn the PSU rear switch back on, and short those pins to start up. You should get a similar result. Shut down again, and keep going step by step.
Add a mouse
Add another stick of RAM
Add all other RAM
Add one storage drive - in your case, probably the SSD.
Add another storage device if you have one.
Install your video card and connect any power cable it needs. Change the connection from the monitor.
etc.

If the clean almost-boot process fails, you know you have added a faulty device in the last step. If you get all your system assembled on the "breadboard" surface and they all work, you know the components themselves are all OK. So the problem then MUST be in the way it is installed in the case. Re-consider very carefully the installation process. Then basically re-do the "breadboard" sequence or components, but this time installing into the case piece by piece.

If you are sure that no stand-off is causing a short circuit, I can think of one error many have made that you should watch out for. The set of wires coming out of the PSU that includes four 4-pin Molex outputs (aka Peripheral Connectors) sometimes also ends in a smaller connector with four holes that looks a little like a fan connector. In your case, OP, that small connector is not actually part of the main cable. According to your PSU manual, it actually consists of a separate adapter that converts one Peripheral Connector into a smaller one. This connector is NOT for fans and must never be connected to the mobo. It is actually a power supply for a FLOPPY drive which I doubt you have, so do NOT use it for anything. Mu guess is you have not made this error, but just thought I'd alert you.

so I will be attempting a "breadboard" build but, again, if I did something that was obviously bad I pray someone notices. I understand I am asking a lot given the length of the videos so I completely understand if everyone is busy, I don't mean to sound unappreciative in anyway, I am just so apprehensive to try again, as I can no longer afford another board if I kill this 4th one.

@MrKitty Ill watch it tonight when I get home :)

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

@MrKitty Ill watch it tonight when I get home :)

Thank you so very much! The assembly of the 3rd build up to the "frying" so to speak will finally be live on youtube shortly. It literally took about 18 hours, 46gb file since its 45m of native 4k video.

3 hours ago, MrKitty said:

Thank you so very much! The assembly of the 3rd build up to the "frying" so to speak will finally be live on youtube shortly. It literally took about 18 hours, 46gb file since its 45m of native 4k video.

i just finished watching the assembly video, nothing screamed bad practice to me, HOWEVER

-have you tried switching to a new power supply?

-in the next run through, do NOT use your custom cables, stock cables only please.

-i noticed a white power cable? that probably didnt come with the power supply. use the normal one.

-plug it into a surge protector, and plugged into a different outlet.

i watched the spark at .25 speed and it looked like the damage was around the cmos battery, and it LOOKS like it sparked from CMOS to the Hue+

my conclusion:

bad power delivery from the PSU to the auxillery power on the motherboard.

biggest thing you need to know

DO NOT PLUG IN THE PCIE_PWR1 ON THE MOTHERBOARD WITH A GT710.

-that is for additional power to the pcie lanes that should only be used with multiple graphics cards. odds are is supplying way to much power and burning out the pcie slot.

now, you might actually get lucky, and not need to return the board!!

unplug that pcie power from the motherboard, and plug your gpu into a different pcie slot. if your lucky, you only fried the one slot, not the whole board.

i also suggest if you're gonna do that, you get a new cmos battery, just in case.

|Specs in profile|