Hardware-related college majors

I was wondering what the possible options are for pursuing something hardware-related in college as well as for a career. I will be applying to colleges soon and am interested in studying computer hardware at a deeper level. I'm not really intro programming though... are there any options for me?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I took a pc maintence and networking course almost 10 years ago, if your still at school have a word with you it dept about volunteering for work experience with the it crew.

Not exactly there are really no Hardware only jobs out there at a high level. everything involves software at some point. I am currently doing a Computer Networking HND and that includes other things like, troubleshooting/team working/ethics/software etc

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

How about studying microprocessor architecture or something similar? That's what I'm mostly interested in

I am an IT student, and as far as I know, hardware related stuff is not going to be your main subject. But I do think there will be some career that require hardware skills, but you will need everything about the software too.

I am an IT student, and as far as I know, hardware related stuff is not going to be your main subject. But I do think there will be some career that require hardware skills, but you will need everything about the software too.

So for example if you wanted to work at a processor manufacturing company designing chips, what would you study?

So for example if you wanted to work at a processor manufacturing company designing chips, what would you study?

You would probably need to do a physics degree and/or computer science degree before you are even ready to take on a focused course on microprocessor design. This field is seriously deep and complex and the formal education and career work required to gain a position is both long and rigorous. I hope you REALLY like maths  ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Electrical engineering - course electronics?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

How about studying microprocessor architecture or something similar? That's what I'm mostly interested in

Then Electrical Engineering is perfect for you.  Or Computer Engineering, if your school has it.

I won't go deep into the differences between the two since every school is different, but for designing microprocessors that's definitely the direction you want to go.

But like Lyons said, you definitely need to be great in math.  Try to take at least Calculus 1 in high school, and do well.  (You don't necessarily need an extensive physics background, you'd learn the physical aspects of it all in your circuits/digital design classes.)

You'll still have to do programming, but it definitely won't be your main focus.  You'll code mainly to understand how computers handle software on a low level, not for the sake of actual software development.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Then Electrical Engineering is perfect for you.  Or Computer Engineering, if your school has it.

I won't go deep into the differences between the two since every school is different, but for designing microprocessors that's definitely the direction you want to go.

But like Lyons said, you definitely need to be great in math.  Try to take at least Calculus 1 in high school, and do well.  (You don't necessarily need an extensive physics background, you'd learn the physical aspects of it all in your circuits/digital design classes.)

You'll still have to do programming, but it definitely won't be your main focus.  You'll code mainly to understand how computers handle software on a low level, not for the sake of actual software development.

I'm currently taking Physics and Computer Science, so that should be fine :)

It really depends for what college you are look at. Some colleges have a program called ECE which is electrical and computer engineering. that would beat fit you. Also, your interests may always change in a few years. Im majoring in CE but am not really sure what i want to do so its good that ce is very broad.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

It really depends for what college you are look at. Some colleges have a program called ECE which is electrical and computer engineering. that would beat fit you. Also, your interests may always change in a few years. Im majoring in CE but am not really sure what i want to do so its good that ce is very broad.

Would it be a problem if I'm not super passionate about maths?

Would it be a problem if I'm not super passionate about maths?

Well engineering does require lots of math so keep that in mind when you are planning.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)