Can Raid 0 to ssd effect P/E cycles?

NaorG

As to This articel, under "Writing on an SSD".

If i understan  correctly, both drives degrade simultaneously.

Can it do more damage?

Since TRIM doesn't work for most RAID setups, always OP (over provision) your array when you setup SSDs in a RAID. Most recommend you OP by at least 15% but some SSDs already come OPed so you can OP less sometimes. You can also research into which SSDs have a built in GC (garbage collector) to clear deleted cells on idle or in the background.

-KuJoe

ignoring quirks of each SSD, so assuming TRIM works correctly, I see no reason why RAID would be more detrimental than how you are using the drive. For example I have had an SSD for about 5 or 6 years because I only installed the operating system and some applications to it. I mount it with appropriate flags. I have never put a swap partition on it. I have never saved frequently edited documents to it. This drive is like brand new because it only gets written to when there is a system or application update.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, NaorG said:

@KuJoe @SCHISCHKA

Well its samsong's 750 Evo 500GB 

It have TRIM and GC

TRIM needs to be triggered by the OS, most RAID controllers do not pass the TRIM command so TRIM is usually in 99% of RAID implementations so always over provision if you want guaranteed performance. I don't over provision my RAID0 setup on my desktop because I don't care if I have to reformat it later because it's just my Steam library but for my production servers (Samsung 850 Evo's) I always OP 15%.

-KuJoe

50 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

ignoring quirks of each SSD, so assuming TRIM works correctly, I see no reason why RAID would be more detrimental than how you are using the drive.

The TRIM command needs to be passed to the drives, most RAID controllers do not pass the TRIM command so for RAID you need background GC and/or OPing.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, NaorG said:

@SCHISCHKA

How do i op my ssds?

(video, guide)

When you create your array, when it asks you the size of the array just create it with 15% less space.

-KuJoe

23 minutes ago, NaorG said:

@SCHISCHKA

How do i op my ssds?

(video, guide)

Just format it so there is 10% unallocated space. But you don't have to do this.  All you need to know is don't fill the drive to full capacity

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_