Upgrade GPU or wait?

RightSide

Thinking about to change my GPU. Atm i got a 1060 3 GB from ASUS. And im thinking about going to pick up a 1080ti.

I got a Asus z-170p

i7-6700k.

8GB ram (upgrading to 16 soon) 

So either i go for 1080ti, wait for AMD to show off what they pull out in the next couple months. Or wait for the next GPU series from Nvidia. 

Want to hear what you think. Thanks for the help!

AMD Vega will not be out until later in the year, probably October or so, and Nvidia Volta will be same kind of time if not 2018.

If you have the money and want to upgrade, then just do it, don't bother waiting, there is always better stuff coming in the next few months but that's always the case with PC components.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

Depends on what resolution you want to play. If you want to play on 1080p then the GTX 1060 will be just fine. If you plan to game on 1440p then you should go for the GTX 1070. If you plan to game on 4K you should go for the GTX 1080ti.

Long time amd user couldn't wait anymore got a 1080ti never looking back myself.

5 hours ago, RaptorCandy said:

Depends on what resolution you want to play. If you want to play on 1080p then the GTX 1060 will be just fine. If you plan to game on 1440p then you should go for the GTX 1070. If you plan to game on 4K you should go for the GTX 1080ti.

What he said

Honestly, even for 1440p the 1060 should be fine if you are okay turning the settings down from Ultra to High at 60fps.

GPU's these days really depends on the resolution and refresh rate you want. If you want 1080p but 144Hz, a 1070 is needed. If you are okay with 60Hz, the 1060 is enough. And at 4K 144Hz, well, even the 1080Ti might not be enough, you'd need two of them in SLI..

I don't see why you wouldn't wait.. Its not like your card is old... Just wait for Vega to come out, there is no harm in waiting. If anything, Nvidia would lower the price of the 1080Ti, or by the time Vega comes out, they will have an 1180Ti.

9 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

first off all

what monitor do you have?

Getting a new one in the coming week.

Most likely a 4k monitor or smth like that.

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

What he said

Honestly, even for 1440p the 1060 should be fine if you are okay turning the settings down from Ultra to High at 60fps.

GPU's these days really depends on the resolution and refresh rate you want. If you want 1080p but 144Hz, a 1070 is needed. If you are okay with 60Hz, the 1060 is enough. And at 4K 144Hz, well, even the 1080Ti might not be enough, you'd need two of them in SLI..

I don't see why you wouldn't wait.. Its not like your card is old... Just wait for Vega to come out, there is no harm in waiting. If anything, Nvidia would lower the price of the 1080Ti, or by the time Vega comes out, they will have an 1180Ti.

That is what im thinking about.

Just sticking with 1060 till 1180ti comes out (or the next Ti card)