Jump to content

Ethernet vs. Wifi

Jasun

If I bought a Wifi chip, would it have a "smooth" connection just like Ethernet? (I know that Ethernet is obviously better in many ways but I don't really want to run a wire across my house; the point is that--do not tell me to buy Ethernet or anything like it, I'm just asking your opinion on Wifi) 

What do I mean by "smooth" connection?

Will it have ping spikes?, etc...

All that I'm asking is that if I buy a "good" wifi chip, will it still have to same non lagginess as Ethernet?

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, a cable is always going to perform better.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Enderman said:

No, a cable is always going to perform better.

So if I buy a wifi chip or whatever, it will always have ping spikes, packet loss, etc...?

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try powerline passthrough adapers. I've not used them personally, but I've heard that if you just need to get a connection from one house to another this is the best way to do it. Just connect a router to the other end

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Darkshadowhaxor said:

Try powerline passthrough adapers. I've not used them personally, but I've heard that if you just need to get a connection from one house to another this is the best way to do it. Just connect a router to the other end

 

6 minutes ago, Jasun said:

do not tell me to buy Ethernet or anything like it

What I was trying to say from the sentence was that I did not want powerline either. That's not an option for me right now.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jasun said:

So if I buy a wifi chip or whatever, it will always have ping spikes, packet loss, etc...?

Not always, but definitely more than a cable would.

Unless it's defective the cable will never cause any packet loss or ping spikes.

Wifi however is very inconsistent because it needs to bounce around walls and will get affected by plenty of stuff, including doors being open or closed, other wireless devices, the weather, etc etc etc.

 

If you care about connection quality then you should just buy a cable.

It's not hard to run it along the corner of a wall and make it almost invisible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally find my wifi to be sh*t even 1 meter away from it in the same room. I would personally not use wifi 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Darkshadowhaxor said:

I personally find my wifi to be sh*t even 1 meter away from it in the same room. I would personally not use wifi 

 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Not always, but definitely more than a cable would.

Unless it's defective the cable will never cause any packet loss or ping spikes.

Wifi however is very inconsistent because it needs to bounce around walls and will get affected by plenty of stuff, including doors being open or closed, other wireless devices, the weather, etc etc etc.

 

If you care about connection quality then you should just buy a cable.

It's not hard to run it along the corner of a wall and make it almost invisible.

Okay, thanks for the feedback. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like this but with a white ethernet cable:

Image result for cable along wall

Image result for cable along wall

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jasun said:

If I bought a Wifi chip, would it have a "smooth" connection just like Ethernet? (I know that Ethernet is obviously better in many ways but I don't really want to run a wire across my house; the point is that--do not tell me to buy Ethernet or anything like it, I'm just asking your opinion on Wifi) 

What do I mean by "smooth" connection?

Will it have ping spikes?, etc...

All that I'm asking is that if I buy a "good" wifi chip, will it still have to same non lagginess as Ethernet?

Here is my two cents. Ive used both WiFi and Ethernet. While Ethernet is better and more reliable. 5Ghz WiFi isnt bad. You just have to be in range. Ping will be higher, but if your close enough and the signal quality is there, then WiFi can be an OKish solution. 

 

If doing WiFi, Id invest in an AC router if you dont have one, and an AC card to go with that router. Also, keep in mind 5Ghz is built for performance not distance, so you really need to make sure your in range. Best way to check, if you have a dual band wifi phone, you can use WiFi analyzer if on Android and check signal strength. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a router that supports 3rd party firmware

such as

OpenWRT
DDWRT
TOMATO
Gargoyle

 

because most of time, it's not the hardware faults, in my case it's always bad firmware

and if the stock firmware isn't doing better at least you have other option (ie not buying a new one)

 

Sure there are interference,which going to "spiked" the connection but you can prevent it by getting 5Ghz access point.

 

Most people complained about wireless is they are not getting the speed they were signup/payed for, well duh, it's wireless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×