First time build. Help me ascend!

Budget & Location

The USA, only real tech place nearby is Best Buy.

Aim

I would like to be able to run most games on 1080 at 60+fps. CSGO, BF1, GTA, etc.

I also will be in college with a roommate so I want to keep it smaller for factor and relatively quiet, not necessarily silent.

Monitors

One for the time being, But two in the future.

Peripherals

Have everything I need, but if there is a cheap 144hz monitor that anyone can recommend that would be great.

This is the build I've come to. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CBRYYr

The budget is around $1000. I want to keep it intel based on preference, I want to keep it within budget, and I want it to be able to run 1080/60 fps for most of the newest games. Is what I have viable/ is what I want viable with what I'm willing to spend.Thank you for the help!

it is actually a very good build on my eyes.

probably need to check the PSU tier on PSU subforums (too lazy to check it).

Same as above, personally I don't go with less than 80+ gold PSUs but corsair is a good brand. Other than that it looks like you've hit all your sweet spots except for monitor.

Thank you both, Just real quick, will 8GB of ram do as well? I'm still trying to find places to cut costs for the monitor and found cheaper RAM (Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory), but I'm not sure how that will effect the total build. I know for most every game 8 is plenty but if I wanted to say run a dual monitor set up with chrome open with x number of tabs on it while also playing games on the other monitor will 8 be enough?

1 hour ago, dlink377 said:

it is actually a very good build on my eyes.

probably need to check the PSU tier on PSU subforums (too lazy to check it).

46 minutes ago, 2bitmarksman said:

Same as above, personally I don't go with less than 80+ gold PSUs but corsair is a good brand. Other than that it looks like you've hit all your sweet spots except for monitor.

You could get a 6 core Ryzen spec for $1000. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($93.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.93 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1000.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-20 19:17 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - H110M ECO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.93 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $973.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 01:56 EDT-0400

Edited by herman mcpootis

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 hours ago, AlexG97 said:

-snip-

Please, get a Ryzen 5 CPU like 1600

Also, SSD suck, get a better option

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

56 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Please, get a Ryzen 5 CPU like 1600

Also, SSD suck, get a better option

I'm pretty adamant about sticking with intel, but I would like to know what's so bad about the SSD. It has over 200 user reviews, and a 4-star score on pc parts picker?

4 minutes ago, AlexG97 said:

I'm pretty adamant about sticking with intel, but I would like to know what's so bad about the SSD. It has over 200 user reviews, and a 4-star score on pc parts picker?

Intel i5 is useless now as Ryzen 5 CPUs has more cores and threads which result in stabler performance in games (you don't want a choppy gameplay right) and they are not just powerful in gaming but also powerful in multitasking like streaming and rendering stuffs (like video editing)

User reviews and PCPP rating means nothing, from what I know Kingston had decided to switch to an older controller which results in worse performance and reliability
@Droidbot would you mind explaining?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Intel i5 is useless now as Ryzen 5 CPUs has more cores and threads which result in stabler performance in games (you don't want a choppy gameplay right) and they are not just powerful in gaming but also powerful in multitasking like streaming and rendering stuffs (like video editing)

User reviews and PCPP rating means nothing, from what I know Kingston had decided to switch to an older controller which results in worse performance and reliability
@Droidbot would you mind explaining?

Which CPU would you recommend then, because everything I've looked at in or around the same price seems to bench worse than the i5 I currently have in the build? Also is PNY more reasonable than Kingston?

12 minutes ago, AlexG97 said:

Which CPU would you recommend then, because everything I've looked at in or around the same price seems to bench worse than the i5 I currently have in the build? Also is PNY more reasonable than Kingston?

Ryzen 1400/1500X/1600

Yeah Ryzen 5 CPUs have worse average framerates compared to i5s but as I said above, they can deliver stabler framerates which is more important.

Never buy a SSD by brand. Which PNY model you mean? CS1311?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Ryzen 1400/1500X/1600

Yeah Ryzen 5 CPUs have worse average framerates compared to i5s but as I said above, they can deliver stabler framerates which is more important.

Never buy a SSD by brand. Which PNY model you mean? CS1311?

actually yeah that exact one 240gb

21 minutes ago, AlexG97 said:

actually yeah that exact one 240gb

it's a pretty decent ssd. Hynix sl308 performs better, see if you can get that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, AlexG97 said:

I did find that it got better user reviews. So I added it the current build I have has changed to this: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AlexG97/saved/mPWqsY

i'd recommend the build i linked earlier, you get a good ssd, 16gb of ram and an i7.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

i'd recommend the build i linked earlier, you get a good ssd, 16gb of ram and an i7.

I did see and like the build a lot, but unfortunately the size is actually none changeable for me. I'll be moving it a lot and I need it to be mini ATX case to make my life easier. Thank you though I definitely got the SSD from those offered builds lol.

Just now, AlexG97 said:

I did see and like the build a lot, but unfortunately the size is actually none changeable for me. I'll be moving it a lot and I need it to be mini ATX case to make my life easier. Thank you though I definitely got the SSD from those offered builds lol.

you don't have to go with the build down to the last part, if you don't like the size just get a smaller case. let me edit the build in a minute.

1 hour ago, AlexG97 said:

The Kingston V300 is an SSD with a very, very bad history. 

The original units had Toshiba flash and a good SandForce controller, and all was good - it was a good value SSD. Then Kingston got greedy, changed the flash to Micron flash and put hot glue on the chips to cover up the name - the Micron-based SSDs are slower and less reliable. 

Look it up. 

Also, kick-ass gaming PC in an insanely small case. 

Motherboard: ASRock - H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($31.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $976.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 02:04 EDT-0400

idk

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The Kingston V300 is an SSD with a very, very bad history. 

The original units had Toshiba flash and a good SandForce controller, and all was good - it was a good value SSD. Then Kingston got greedy, changed the flash to Micron flash and put hot glue on the chips to cover up the name - the Micron-based SSDs are slower and less reliable. 

Look it up. 

Also, kick-ass gaming PC in an insanely small case. 

Motherboard: ASRock - H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($31.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $976.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-21 02:04 EDT-0400

Thank you for the insight and the help on the build 

Here, Try this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mC8Xqk Saved you some money and upgraded your current system. To play your games, you don't need a 1070, a 1060 will work perfectly for you. My buddy has one and he can play those games comfortably on max settings. 

My Computer Rig:

MSI Z270 Pro Carbon

Intel i7 7700k 

Nvidia 1080ti Founders Edition 11gb

Corsair Vengence LPX 16gb 3000Mhz Ram

MSI Frozr CPU Cooler

Seagate 3tb 7200rpm HDD

Sandisk 256gb SSD (Boot Drive)

Corsair CX550M Power Supply

Corsair SPEC-ALPHA Case

5 hours ago, .:Wumbo:. said:

Here, Try this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mC8Xqk Saved you some money and upgraded your current system. To play your games, you don't need a 1070, a 1060 will work perfectly for you. My buddy has one and he can play those games comfortably on max settings. 

No offence but I already did a much better Ryzen spec listed above.

Thank you, everyone, seriously helped me look at everything with a more investigative eye. Much love to the LTT forums!