Why Do You Use Windows?

Just now, jgjake2 said:

Like I said in the post, power savings. One of the biggest reasons I hate enabling CPU throttling on laptops is the delay between a load increase, and the CPU responding to that load increase.

But these settings allow you to edit eveything about that: delay, threshold, ammount of increase/decrease, how that affects CPU parking, etc...It can save a lot of battery life, and I like to tweak it on mobile devices and servers.

i spent a LONG ass time mimaxing power settings on my laptop.. it saved less power than turning down screen brightness.

Just now, manikyath said:

i spent a LONG ass time mimaxing power settings on my laptop.. it saved less power than turning down screen brightness.

I both agree and disagree. It really depends on what you are doing. I am admittedly a firefox fanboy, and I use a lot of XPCOM based extensions. This cause a lot of CPU load in short bursts. Having windows respond quickly to this makes for a WAY smoother experience.

Just now, jgjake2 said:

I both agree and disagree. It really depends on what you are doing. I am admittedly a firefox fanboy, and I use a lot of XPCOM based extensions. This cause a lot of CPU load in short bursts. Having windows respond quickly to this makes for a WAY smoother experience.

which is why my laptop is set to ramp cpu clock speed REALLY lazily. having a quadcore i7 run at 800MHz is all you need for a browser, and if you need more you should probably figure out what the hell is wrong with your browser.

my point is that windows runs great *WITHOUT* messing with it, and doing so is essentially a waste of the money you paid for the OS, and a waste of your time.

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

which is why my laptop is set to ramp cpu clock speed REALLY lazily. having a quadcore i7 run at 800MHz is all you need for a browser, and if you need more you should probably figure out what the hell is wrong with your browser.

my point is that windows runs great *WITHOUT* messing with it, and doing so is essentially a waste of the money you paid for the OS, and a waste of your time.

Well, you're not wrong lol But I do know why the performance is crap. I'm running multiprocess firefox with legacy extensions. But I cant live without Ststus-4-Evar, TabMixPlus, SpeedDial, Menu Wizard, FindBar Tweak, YTC, or Greasemonkey. (and PaleMoon still suck too much for me to switch)

Windows_FirefoxExtensions.thumb.png.533cec1df2890d20ea27649fd6061545.pngWindows_FirefoxPerformance.thumb.png.a8a18972288675eee5e0603e16b94d2e.png

I'm not saying i'm not responsible for the performance problem. I'm just saying I leverage windows power options to make it tolerable without devastating my battery.

Edit: Also, I should mention I am also running developer tools :P biggest performance hit of all

Edited by jgjake2

21 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Seems like a lot of effort when you can just plug it in.

Of course it is :P and I'm pretty sure LTT is the #1 place to talk about how you spent 30+ hours to leverage a 1% performance boost