Upgrade from iPhone 5

vanished

Long story short, I'm looking for a new phone (for someone else, not for me).

I'm thinking Android, but I would consider anything that fits the requirements.

• Actually useful (so not iOS.  Please, just don't go there... I have several years of pent up rage and I don't want to have to fight to hold it in)
  • Available in and works in Canada
  • Unlocked
  • Good mic and speakers (this is kind of a primary concern above almost all else.  The iphone 5 is good in this regard, so anything that good or better would be great)
  • Not too big (the iPhone 5 is a good size for them, but a little bigger wouldn't hurt)
  • Not ridiculously expensive (I'm thinking this should be doable for < $400 CAD.  If not, there is something wrong with the market imo)
  • Updated regularly and not bloated with unremovable crapware (so probably not samsung but if can convince me they've improved I'll consider it)
  • Generally reliable.  I don't know if some manufacturers' versions of Android vary significantly in this regard, but something that doesn't freeze, crash, randomly drain the battery, etc. would be good
  • Expandable storage (microSD) or at least enough internal that it probably won't be an issue (64 GB should do it)

The typical things that most people really look for like the best camera or large battery actually aren't a big concern here.  Currently the iphone is degraded to about ~1100 mAh and they are getting by without really any complaints, and they think the iphone 5 camera is good, so pretty much anything should be good enough in that department.

Thanks to anyone who's familiar enough with what's out there they can just name something without having to make either of us do a a bunch of research :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Long story short, I'm looking for a new phone (for someone else, not for me).

The Honor 8 is the best value phone hands down. Picked up 3 of them myself. It goes on sales for $289.99 here for the 32gb models, expandable to 128gb, updated to android 7, and is generally awesome. :)

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

One Plus 4 5 when it releases would be a better around  a bit higher than 450 (Assuming they don't do much wrong).

Edit: Consider picking up a flagship phone on ebay (Phones get replace often, so expect low prices for iPhone 6 etc.)

Computer specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 2GB

Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3P VER.2

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 1x16GB 2400mhz

Case: Corsair Spec-01

Storage: 120GB Adata SP550 + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD

Wireless card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11ac/BT 4.0

PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Keyboard: Razer Backwidow Ultimate Stealth Non-RGB

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus M601

Headphones: Steelseries Artis 1

Monitors: LG 24MP59G-P 24-inch 75hz 

I'm a big fan of the Sony Xperia X Compact. It's iPhone-sized, but with Android and a decent Snapdragon 650 under the hood. Ticks off all the boxes except the regular updates. I've had mine since November and picked up maybe four significant updates, one of which was Nougat. There is a little bit of crapware that occasionally rears its ugly head, but it's all Sony OEM stuff. No third-party garbage.

Battery life is good enough for me. If I'm using it heavily (i.e., lots of screen-on time, possibly some video or music or a lighter game), I'll end my 16-hour day around 30%. Typically I wind up between 50-60%. If I barely touch the damn thing, 16 hours can go by with the phone staying around 80%.

The Xperia Z5 Compact was plagued by two issues: the cooling was totally inadequate for its Snapdragon 810, and the glass frame of the phone would suffer mystery cracks (probably because of the hot/cold cycles it would rapidly go through). The X Compact doesn't have either of these problems, although it got there by going with a midrange SoC and a plastic body. Compromises, right?

If finding a decent screen protector wasn't such a pain in the nuts, I'd have zero complaints about my X Compact.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Probably go Sony or Motorola they are as close to stock and get frequent updates, or a used oneplus, I would wait for oneplus to see if the 3t even gets O, as they left op2 in the dust for nougat.

5 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

One Plus 4 5 when it releases would be a better around  a bit higher than 450 (Assuming they don't do much wrong).

Edit: Consider picking up a flagship phone on ebay (Phones get replace often, so expect low prices for iPhone 6 etc.)

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Probably go Sony or Motorola they are as close to stock and get frequent updates, or a used oneplus, I would wait for oneplus to see if the 3t even gets O, as they left op2 in the dust for nougat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but OnePlus is that company that made exclusive wait lists and invite systems to get their phones, right?  Or am I thinking of someone else... point being, can you actually just order one, like a normal product now, or are they still doing all that nonsense?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but OnePlus is that company that made exclusive wait lists and invite systems to get their phones, right?  Or am I thinking of someone else... point being, can you actually just order one, like a normal product now, or are they still doing all that nonsense?

You can just buy one. The oneplus one, and two had a invite system

You wont find a new one under $400 cad, so I would go to swappa.com

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can order now. OnePlus 5 is coming out in the summer though.

Computer specs:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

One Plus 3T is $650 in Canada :P

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

One Plus 3T is $650 in Canada :P

Derp forgot to convert to CAD, so 700 CAD, dang.

Computer specs:

Spoiler

Try finding a good s7 deal or e

Wait for one plus 5

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Does the phone have to be factory new?

Older phones or used ones have great prices. Do you have a Webpage in Canada where you sell only used products?

400 Cad is about 2500 Swedish krona and for that price you either get a low tire factory new phone model or an old/used model. 

3 minutes ago, Illya said:

Older phones or used ones have great prices. Do you have a Webpage in Canada where you sell only used products?

400 Cad is about 2500 Swedish krona and for that price you either get a low tire factory new phone model or an old/used model. 

https://ca.letgo.com/en/x/electronics

Can't help more for now, my battery is dying!!

On 5/18/2017 at 11:37 PM, Illya said:

I would assume minimal wear is fine too.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I guess used would be fine but new would be nice.  It doesn't really have to be high-end, it's mainly necessary just for an OS change.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I guess used would be fine but new would be nice.  It doesn't really have to be high-end, it's mainly necessary just for an OS change.

Found something here for under 200 cad: (deals right now)
Motorola moto g4 Unlocked. (Used)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/motorola-motorola-moto-g-4th-gen-16gb-smartphone-black-unlocked-refurbished-xt1625/10515532.aspx?