Blu-ray player recommendation

Go to solution Solved by Virgule,

I think I found it !

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/84/222/BDP-160-K/specs.html

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good region free blu-ray player that can play media (mostly .avi, .mp4, .mp3, .mov) on a network shared folder and that can play media on iphone (like the iphone's airplay). Also, I want it to upscale video to 1080p. Other than that, an sd card slot or usb 2.0/3.0 connection (for external hdd) would be nice. I'm looking for a good product and a good value. 

Any recommendations ? If your recommendation doesn't meet all my criterion, tell me anyway, I'd like to know the options.

Spoiler

Google_Chromecast_35823617_06_620x433.jp

Why bother? Blue ray DVD's are already practically obsolete. 

Doesn't the TV already have USB ports on it? 

also you'll have to give a budget first

Error: 410

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good region free blu-ray player that can play media (mostly .avi, .mp4, .mp3, .mov) on a network shared folder and that can play media on iphone (like the iphone's airplay). Also, I want it to upscale video to 1080p. Other than that, an sd card slot or usb 2.0/3.0 connection (for external hdd) would be nice. I'm looking for a good product and a good value. 

Any recommendations ? If your recommendation doesn't meet all my criterion, tell me anyway, I'd like to know the options.

CAMBRIDGE Azur 752BD Blu-ray

dont know if it upscales to 1080p, didint even know that existed

or a ps3/ps4.

or a ps3/ps4.

Thanks for the reccomendation, I'll look at the specs. 

The reason I don't want the ps4 is it's a little too expensive for the functionality I'm looking for and the ps3 has some issues with network play, navigation between songs (if there's a lot of them) and doesn't play from iphone.

Spoiler

or a ps3/ps4.

Wow that's not cheap!

Spoiler

Wow that's not cheap!

ahaha well yeah i kinda asumed you didnt have a 20$ budget since you wanted premium quality :3

ahaha well yeah i kinda asumed you didnt have a 20$ budget since you wanted premium quality :3

I don't but I thought maybe I could find something for 200$ - 300$ (or less if possible)

Spoiler

I don't but I thought maybe I could find something for 200$ - 300$ (or less if possible)

guess spending 1k on a player might be extreme hehe.

try pioner or sony. they have some budger but good players if im not wrong.

My mom lives in the country and has a CRAPPY ISP. I want something in the 200-300$CAN range that can play the multi region DVDs she already has, and the DVDs, BDs, mp3, avi, ... she can borrow from me. I want her to have something that can play over her own network or devices (iphone) because internet streaming is a no no on her package.

Spoiler

Blu-Ray is still the highest-quality way of watching films we can get. Unlike almost every 1080p video 'source' online it is high-bitrate 1080p video with high-bitrate surround sound.

I'd recommend a second-hand first-gen PS3. It's something like $100 and has fantastic codec support, DLNA functionality, Blu-Ray support and can be used to play games if you so desire.

Do not buy an Xbox 360. They're awful for playing media - atrocious codec support, shoddy DLNA compatibility and no Blu-Ray support. Also their Netflix application is downright awful in comparison to the PS3's.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Blu-Ray is still the highest-quality way of watching films we can get. Unlike almost every 1080p video 'source' online it is high-bitrate 1080p video with high-bitrate surround sound.

I'd recommend a second-hand first-gen PS3. It's something like $100 and has fantastic codec support, DLNA functionality, Blu-Ray support and can be used to play games if you so desire.

Do not buy an Xbox 360. They're awful for playing media - atrocious codec support, shoddy DLNA compatibility and no Blu-Ray support. Also their Netflix application is downright awful in comparison to the PS3's.

Problem is PS3 is not region free. That's a must for me. 

I bought : http://www.ebay.com/itm/360797551537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 (at 200$)

Region free Sony BDP-S5100 are more expensive than non region free ones.

Spoiler

Problem is PS3 is not region free. That's a must for me. 

I bought : http://www.ebay.com/itm/360797551537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 (at 200$)

Region free Sony BDP-S5100 are more expensive than non region free ones.

It isn't?

I was under the impression it was. I've never investigated it though as personally I don't require it to be - the majority of my media is stored on my PC and streamed to the PS3, and my BluRay disc collection is only around 6 discs in size. That's a bit of a shame, then.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff