Off brand vs name brand liquid cooling

Hello!

This is a topic I have been thinking about alot.

It would be really cool to see a compasision video of off brand (china knock off) liquid cooling vs Name brand (EKWB, AlphaCool, etc)

Pros and cons, dangers of buying knock offs in this category etc.

Thoughts on this?

17 minutes ago, RubberDuckyTV said:

Hello!

This is a topic I have been thinking about alot.

It would be really cool to see a compasision video of off brand (china knock off) liquid cooling vs Name brand (EKWB, AlphaCool, etc)

Pros and cons, dangers of buying knock offs in this category etc.
Thoughts on this?

It really varies, things such as fittings, brands like Barrow are quite good actually. For things such as pumps, blocks and rads that can vary heavily from material quality to reliability and manufacturing tolerances leading to potential for leaks. I wouldn't recommend to cheap out on a proper loop especially, on a pump as those are the heart of your cooling system.

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

No point, nobody wants a dead PC.

Either you buy good quality WC components with $500+ budget, or you stick to AIOs and air cooling.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, W-L said:

It really varies, things such as fittings, brands like Barrow are quite good actually. For things such as pumps, blocks and rads that can vary heavily from material quality to reliability and manufacturing tolerances leading to potential for leaks. I wouldn't recommend to cheap out on a paper loop especially, on a pump as those are the heart of your cooling system.

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

Yeah. Not thinking about doing this myself. My computer is too precious to cheap out on something like this.
What got me thinking about wanting to see a video on this topic was when a buddy of mine cheaped out and bought a 130$ watercooling kit for his computer.
If he cheaped out on this I am sure alot of others have done so and will continue to do so as well

2 minutes ago, RubberDuckyTV said:

Yeah. Not thinking about doing this myself. My computer is too precious to cheap out on something like this.
What got me thinking about wanting to see a video on this topic was when a buddy of mine cheaped out and bought a 130$ watercooling kit for his computer.
If he cheaped out on this I am sure alot of others have done so and will continue to do so as well

No those aren't good they used aluminium rads leaving you with a mixed metal loop, and the pumps are a mystery usually a cheap garden or mini hobby pump. I would suggest as said to go with an AIO or either look at potentially the entry level kits from EKWB those are the very least I would recommend for a loop. 

Just now, W-L said:

No those aren't good they used aluminium rads leaving you with a mixed metal loop, and the pumps are a mystery usually a cheap garden or mini hobby pump. I would suggest as said to go with an AIO or either look at potentially the entry level kits from EKWB those are the very least I would recommend for a loop. 

It may be that my english is not the best or that you misunderstand me somehow.
I will try to explain it clearer
I am absolutely not looking to buy something like this. 
As I said, my PC is way to precious and valuable for me to use anything else than name brand components.

What I was looking for was the intest in seeing a video made taking a look at the differences between the cheap stuff and the good stuff.
I myself think that sounds both educational (for those thinking about actually buying something like this) and entertaining.

1 minute ago, RubberDuckyTV said:

It may be that my english is not the best or that you misunderstand me somehow.
I will try to explain it clearer
I am absolutely not looking to buy something like this. 
As I said, my PC is way to precious and valuable for me to use anything else than name brand components.

What I was looking for was the intest in seeing a video made taking a look at the differences between the cheap stuff and the good stuff.
I myself think that sounds both educational (for those thinking about actually buying something like this) and entertaining.

If you want to try it as a proof of concept, sure but it may not last long term. Just remember to get a compatible mixed metal fluid or use something like ethylene glycol. 

30 minutes ago, W-L said:

brands like Barrow are quite good actually.

I've had great success with Barrow fittings.  Not as polished as some others, but very dependable and a good way to save a buck.  Fittings are the silent killer to a loop budget. xD 

I'm finally trying Barrow fittings out for the first time, just have to wait for shipping from China.  I'll admit, the price was amazing!  Was originally only going to buy a few things but ended up buying replacements for almost all my fittings.  I'm a little skeptical still but we'll see. 

Waterblocks are another story, not sure I could do that yet. I'll admit I really haven't heard many bad things though about byski and barrow blocks.  Obviously the cheapo aluminum parts should be scrapped entirely. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

9 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I'm finally trying Barrow fittings out for the first time, just have to wait for shipping from China.  I'll admit, the price was amazing!  Was originally only going to buy a few things but ended up buying replacements for almost all my fittings.  I'm a little skeptical still but we'll see. 

Waterblocks are another story, not sure I could do that yet. I'll admit I really haven't heard many bad things though about byski and barrow blocks.  Obviously the cheapo aluminum parts should be scrapped entirely. 

Fittings is as far as I've ventured with them. Their rotory fittings are tighter with regards to rotating then other brands, but I have no fear of leaks.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Fittings is as far as I've ventured with them. Their rotory fittings are tighter with regards to rotating then other brands, but I have no fear of leaks.

I've had a few name brand rotaries leak on me recently so I'm going to try a loop with no rotaries.  It's been a while xD

I think I do already have a few of their short extenders/adapters and even a couple rotaries.  They are almost too tight!  Very firm

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I've had a few name brand rotaries leak on me recently so I'm going to try a loop with no rotaries.  It's been a while xD

I think I do already have a few of their short extenders/adapters and even a couple rotaries.  They are almost too tight!  Very firm

I've had tolerancing issues with some EK rotary fitting before where the snap ring and groove are too loose. However same as the o-rings on the threaded G1/4 portion the rotary sections have orings that will need to be changed as they age, that is if the parts can be snapped apart.

3 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Agreed. They are tight, but that also gives me a feeling of reassurance. 

While I haven't had a name brand rotory completely fail, I've had a few get very sloppy and loose in the rotary section of the fitting. I've yet to have a Barrow do it. They just don't ever loosen up. 

24 minutes ago, W-L said:

I've had tolerancing issues with some EK rotary fitting before where the snap ring and groove are too loose. However same as the o-rings on the threaded G1/4 portion the rotary sections have orings that will need to be changed as they age, that is if the parts can be snapped apart.

I don't think I've ever really thought about taking any of them apart.  Maybe I'll have a go at the ones that leaked and if they get destroyed it's no loss.

23 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Agreed. They are tight, but that also gives me a feeling of reassurance. 

While I haven't had a name brand rotory completely fail, I've had a few get very sloppy and loose in the rotary section of the fitting. I've yet to have a Barrow do it. They just don't ever loosen up. 

hm good to know.  I've had a few brands get all wonky so maybe if this "no rotary" plan of mine doesn't work out I'll check out some of barrow's rotaries.