Minimum RPM for effective cooling?

Folktale

For a mid and full tower PC. What is the optimum number of fan with RPM to be effective at cooling?

I watched Luke's video on how many fans are optimum but at what RPM? 800 enough? 1000? Is more always better?

more rpm = more noise but better cooling

what i suggest is to dl a custom fan curve such as speedfan so when then temps hits 60ºC or above, increase automatically the fan speed

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

More is always better but I try and find a balance between nothing getting frighteningly warm and acoustics. But hell if you don't care how it sounds turn em all the way up for MAXIMUM POWAAAAA

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I have 4x140mm fans on min rpm. I use to have only two but I tried four and I found the temps are the same but the two fan config was pulsing up and down on hot days which is kinda annoying when trying to web surf in silence

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The optimum is obviously as high as you are comfortable with the noise created by the fans. For me is that "silent in a normal room with a distance of maybe 50cm".

For normal case fans it is basicly enough to be slow because just a little bit is a very noticeable difference to no air movement at all so I go for 800-1200 rpm for case fans usually (the bigger the fan the lower the rpm)

But if you can use motherboard headers than you can control them anyway.

23 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

More is always better but I try and find a balance between nothing getting frighteningly warm and acoustics. But hell if you don't care how it sounds turn em all the way up for MAXIMUM POWAAAAA

3000rpm.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

all fans have different acoustics at different rpms.  For my corsair ml120's they are pretty silent at 1000 rpm and still cool well.  at 3000 they sound like a jet taking off.  I have some coolermaster fans that are nice and quiet at max speed of around 2400 rpm.  custom curve is the way to go

Too many variables to say anything definitive. Fans, how many fans, where they are places, what cooler, what components, which case, what average ambient, average load. All those have their dip on what rpm is the up limit. You need to do testing to find out what works for you.

For example my CPU fans are set to max 1300rpm (of 1500rpm). Because they don't have any more power over that. GPU fans are set to max 45%. Thats highest noise I bear to listen and temps still remain nice under load. Front case fans have max of 80% (I don't remember what rpm would be, maybe 1000rpm) and they follow GPU temps. Rear fan follows CPU with max of 70% (~900rpm). All based mainly on noise and some cooling performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv