Netflix app blocks Rooted Android Phones

Qub3d

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/13/netflix-confirms-blocking-rootedunlocked-devices-app-still-working-now/

https://www.xda-developers.com/netflix-app-currently-unavailable-for-rootedunlocked-users/

Netflix has recently introduced offline downloads for multiple platforms, allowing users to download movies to watch them offline. While this was generally regarded as an excellent move, it could also be tangentially related to what we are seeing now: the latest version of Netflix has been made invisible for rooted users, as it will seemingly not appear on the Play Store if your device is unlocked.

If you pull up the page directly on a rooted phone, you will see the phone listed as "incompatible" with the app.

AndroidPolice confirmed this, getting the following statement from Netflix:

With our latest 5.0 release, we now fully rely on the Widevine DRM provided by Google; therefore, many devices that are not Google-certified or have been altered will no longer work with our latest app and those users will no longer see the Netflix app in the Play Store.

ap_resize.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F05%2Fnexus2cee_netflix-root-error.png&w=728

While many speculate this is so Netflix can ensure users are unable to bypass the Google Widevine DRM, they seem to be implementing this with the SafetyNet tool google uses to verify a phone's status. 

The best(or worst) part is that many android enthusiasts have moved from a traditional root method to Magisk, which is so far undetectable with any official google tools. Hooray for Netflix making the lives of a few people slightly more inconvenient!

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

can you side load it? 

Yes, in fact the AP article lists a pushbullet channel that would allow for auto-updates outside the play store.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

I can confirm it too, first I couldn't find netflix on Google Play app. Had to manually search it on google and had the same thing

I'm surprised this hasn't been a thing for longer, my Sky TV app will install on my rooted phone but when I run it it says rooted phones are unsupported and closes. BBC IPlayer will only allow playback on rooted phones too, downloads are disabled.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Buy Android, it's great, you can root it! 

but shits gonna break

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

44 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Buy Android, it's great, you can root it! 

but shits gonna break

Root doesn't break anything. This was done by the app dev "willingly"(in this case netflix was probably was forced to sdo it by the media industry mafia)...9_9

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Root doesn't break anything. This was done by the app dev "willingly"(in this case netflix was probably was forced to sdo it by the media industry mafia)...9_9

Semantics. The results are the same regardless of whether rooting breaks something or something else refuses to work with a rooted device. Also, I rooted my old Razr Maxx and it did break a few things, so rooting most definitely can break things. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Semantics. The results are the same regardless of whether rooting breaks something or something else refuses to work with a rooted device. Also, I rooted my old Razr Maxx and it did break a few things, so rooting most definitely can break things. 

No its not breaking anything, AFAIK many manufacturers code their phones in way that you will loose some things if you root. So it isnt the root that causing the issues but the apps themselves! There is a big difference between a pre programmed reaction to the presence of root and a real problem! Either way people will blame the app dev so netflix will get a lot of heat  :D .

Couldn't get it work on my N7 2nd gen with the most recent LineageOS so far.

Lately Netflix is getting very customer unfriendly.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been a thing for longer, my Sky TV app will install on my rooted phone but when I run it it says rooted phones are unsupported and closes. BBC IPlayer will only allow playback on rooted phones too, downloads are disabled.

Same with jailbreak on the app of a local TV cable outlet. Any reason why?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Ok...so what if all you did was use the OEM provided unlock tool to install a barebones Android 6 ROM, because the original Android 4.4 had severe performance issues that rendered it useless?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

meh, google pay DOESNT work if your phones rooted, some just deny FP authentication, pretty sure you cant login to snapchat with a rooted phone,(atleast in my experience)

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB