Password recovery after death in family

Fjellheimz

Hey guys & gals.

We just had a death in the family where my very close uncle hanged himself :(

He did not leave a note or anything, and right now we are sitting here with alot of questions.

However he is in debt and we are trying to get to the bottom of that debt, therefor we need to get into he's computer and phone.

He had on his computer either windows 8 or 8.1 on a lenovo G50, and he had samsung xcover 3.

For those of you that feel the need to say that we should not go snooping, we are not intending too, we are gonna check the desktop and documents folders, if we do not find anything there then we are quitting the search.
We do not want to find something bad...

For computer just disconnect his hard drive and connect it to your pc using usb to sata.

Or you can use live CD / or windows install disk to copy the files to your disk to inspect it on another computer.

You can always reset windows password, just search on Google.

For phone, I afraid it is a bit complicated.

I'm sorry for your loss:(. A windows password is not hard to get through. There used to be this thing called Kahnboot. dont know if it is a thing anymore.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

just get a sata to usb thingy to dig trough the PC's data, as for the phone.. that's probably SoL.

you could probably take phone to service for data recovery. IDK

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

The phone is very hard to break into.

You can just take out the HDD and plug it in to another pc as a D:/ drive and just read all the data off it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

The phone is very hard to break into.

You can just take out the HDD and plug it in to another pc as a D:/ drive and just read all the data off it.

not gonna work if the drive is encrypted.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

You could try this:

http://samsung-updates.com/yet-another-lock-screen-bypass-method-discovered-in-samsung-devices/

Or you could, if supported unlock the bootloader, root and then use an ADB shell to set the password to blank.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

not gonna work if the drive is encrypted.

If it's encrypted nothing's gonna work

But 99% of people don't encrypt their computers. especially if they're not super techy

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

If it's encrypted nothing's gonna work

But 99% of people don't encrypt their computers. especially if they're not super techy

which, no offence to most of the world... most people arent

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

I have a adapter and have already checked the hard drive, however we need some more stuff from he's browser, therefor we need to get into the computer :/

And @MrMcMuffinJr It is not encrypted so you are correct sir :)

1 minute ago, Fjellheimz said:

I have a adapter and have already checked the hard drive, however we need some more stuff from he's browser, therefor we need to get into the computer :/

there are some free things you can make into a bootable USB stick which remove the password from a windows install. linus even made a video about one. (although that one costs money)

Desktop:

Laptop:

How about getting into safe mode on this badboy? Lenovo G50 F8 does not work

I have tried installing kon-boot on a usb drive, cant get it installed.

Ophcrack does not work, any ideas what can be used instead?

Kinda going crazy here...

41 minutes ago, Fjellheimz said:

I don't understand. What couldn't you get from the drive without booting on it? Files are not magically created when you log on a windows account. If you can mount the drive on another computer and see the files, you see everything that is on there.

We are looking for something, i feel that is all i need to say.