1700 vs 7700k for gaming

For a pure gaming machine that I need to last about 5 years at 1440p 144hz, that I'm pairing with a GTX 1080, but with a planned mid life upgrade (in 2 generations) which CPU would be better? 

4 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

For a pure gaming machine that I need to last about 5 years at 1440p 144hz, that I'm pairing with a GTX 1080, but with a planned mid life upgrade (in 2 generations) which CPU would be better? 

if you need help with making a build just message me

7700k is better now and that probably wont change unless something drastic happens in the next couple years. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

With the way things are going, you probably won't need to change your CPU in two generations time. But yes, I also recommend the i7 7700K in this particular scenario.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

31 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

7700k, best gaming performance but sucks ass for everything else

??

Where have you been living for the past decade?

i7s have always been great at multitasking and rendering and pretty much anything you could want to do with a PC.

You just sound biased because ryzen has 16 threads and of course "more is always better" according to people like you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

With the way things are going, you probably won't need to change your CPU in two generations time. But yes, I also recommend the i7 7700K in this particular scenario.

I meant change the GPU in 2 generations, whoops haha 

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

??

Where have you been living for the past decade?

i7s have always been great at multitasking and rendering and pretty much anything you could want to do with a PC.

You just sound biased because ryzen has 16 threads and of course "more is always better" according to people like you.

I shouldn't have said 'sucks ass' - I should have said 'sucks ass in multithreaded workstation tasks' 

Because seriously - in multithread Blender, LuxRay, etc - it destroys the 7700K. 

idk

31 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I shouldn't have said 'sucks ass' - I should have said 'sucks ass in multithreaded workstation tasks' 

Because seriously - in multithread Blender, LuxRay, etc - it destroys the 7700K. 

But that doesn't mean it's bad.

The i7 can still render and do calculations just fine.

Even an i5 or i3 can do those things, just slower.

Just because something is better at it doesn't magically make the other processors completely useless.

It just depends on how much money you have, how often you do those types or work, etc etc etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, dfg666 said:

Still sucks ass compared to Ryzen 7.

Depends in what workload.

Image result for 7700k vs 1800x

Also take into account that the 1700 is worse than the 1800x.

So at most a 20-25% in rendering and similar things.

Unless that's all you do all day (like if it is your job), a few minutes longer render time is not very important.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Depends in what workload.

Image result for 7700k vs 1800x

Also take into account that the 1700 is worse than the 1800x.

So at most a 20-25% in rendering and similar things.

Unless that's all you do all day (like if it is your job), a few minutes longer render time is not very important.

"a few minutes longer render time is not very important."

You clearly have never worked in a heavy productivity environment. A lot of managers and head of department will not be happy when hearing "a few minutes longer render time is not very important."

5 minutes ago, dfg666 said:

You clearly have never worked in a heavy productivity environment. A lot of managers and head of department will not be happy when hearing "a few minutes longer render time is not very important."

He also said "Unless that's all you do all day (like if it is your job)" sooooo.

8 minutes ago, dfg666 said:

Maybe you have trouble with reading comprehension, but the first part of that sentence says "Unless that's all you do all day (like if it is your job)".

That means that the latter part of the sentence applies in the case where it is NOT a job, for reasons that you just mentioned.

So if OP's job is rendering stuff all day and working with programs that perform better on the 1700x, then great he should obviously get that.

Spoiler