Questions regarding build safety.

Hello LTT community!

I have some questions regarding build safety. The current rig I'm building will be my very first own "creation".

Most PCs I've had in the past have been pre-build. I've been a PC enthusiast for almost two decades now.

But the time has come to say goodbye to my current rig and get some much needed upgrades.

I've done research and I've found the parts that I want for my system.

Safety in building

The only real worry is the part where I have to assemble everything.

The worry is regards to static building up. Unfortunately I do not own one of those fancy modmats nor do I own an anti static wrist/ankle band.

I don't really feel like spending money on those things, but I've seen in many build logs that people use some sort of glove.

I assume these gloves have some sort of anti static properties as well. Any idea of what they're really called?

I have seen similar gloves in one of my local hardware stores.

The static building up is my only real worry.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to gain experience when it comes to computer building.

If there is any other handy dandy tip you guys can teach me, I'm all ears.

Let me know if you're interested in knowing what types of component I've chosen for this build.

:) 

Well, I've built 2 PCs and I've never used any gloves, modmats ETC. Just don't build on a carpet. And if you go do something else in middle of the build, make sure to touch something large and metallic (powersupply) before you start building again. Have fun with the build!

Just don't build on carpet or wear socks.

If you never get shocked while in your house, most likely static shouldn't be a big worry to you. What I do is first install the psu in the case and then plug the psu in, and then switch it to off. I have an anti static wrist band but you could just regularly touch the psu.

However, unless you constantly get shocked while in your house, static isn't a big worry. It's something that gets overdone, imo. You're probably more likely to have a product be DOA or drop a product and break it than damage it by static.

Outta curiosity, what's the build like? :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just make sure that you open up the power supply and case first on a hard wood or tile/linoleum floor and get handsy  with the metal parts and you should be just fine, happy building! and the glove are just common work gloves when I would file copper fittings at work my boss would hand me a pair exactly like Luke uses, so they dont have any anti static properties, they are just used to keep grubby fingerprints of everything.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Just don't build on carpet or wear socks.

If you never get shocked while in your house, most likely static shouldn't be a big worry to you. What I do is first install the psu in the case and then plug the psu in, and then switch it to off. I have an anti static wrist band but you could just regularly touch the psu.

However, unless you constantly get shocked while in your house, static isn't a big worry. It's something that gets overdone, imo. You're probably more likely to have a product be DOA or drop a product and break it than damage it by static.

Outta curiosity, what's the build like? :) 

Sorry for the long reply, I'm currently at work, but I managed to use PCPartPicker. :) 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/T-Bear/saved/#view=prrgsY

I would love suggestions on changes that I can do.

But so far this feels like a pretty solid build.

6 minutes ago, orangebeaver45 said:

Just make sure that you open up the power supply and case first on a hard wood or tile/linoleum floor and get handsy  with the metal parts and you should be just fine, happy building! and the glove are just common work gloves when I would file copper fittings at work my boss would hand me a pair exactly like Luke uses, so they dont have any anti static properties, they are just used to keep grubby fingerprints of everything.

Oh okay. Roger that. :) 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, T-Bear said:

Sorry for the long reply, I'm currently at work, but I managed to use PCPartPicker. :) 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/T-Bear/saved/#view=prrgsY

I would love suggestions on changes that I can do.

But so far this feels like a pretty solid build.

Only thing I got to say is get 2x16gb instead (easier to upgrade to 64), and just get one ~500gb ssd instead (if you're planning raid0 it's not really worth it, especially if this is a gaming rig).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Only thing I got to say is get 2x16gb instead (easier to upgrade to 64), and just get one ~500gb ssd instead (if you're planning raid0 it's not really worth it, especially if this is a gaming rig).

Roger that, and yes this is a gaming rig. :) 

Surgery gloves would make it as safe as possible but like many are saying I also didn't give a bit of care to static just built it on a wood table and all worked out fine.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Surgery gloves would make it as safe as possible but like many are saying I also didn't give a bit of care to static just built it on a wood table and all worked out fine.

Roger that :) perhaps my worries about static is uneccessary then :) 

Since most people seem to agree on the fact that they never had the issue of static frying their components.

Just now, T-Bear said:

Roger that :) perhaps my worries about static is uneccessary then :) 

you cay say that out of every 100 builds, 98 goes without a single issue regarding static, just take the least of care like mentioned some carpets can be bad and you're pretty safe ^^

Any reason why not go Kaby Lake already? not that you'd be losing much as the 6700k and 7700k are extremely close to one another but newest always desirable no? xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You can touch anything metal to ground temporarily, but for building the whole thing, I'd recommend keeping the PSU screed into the car and plugged into the wall so it's constantly grounded. Don't plug anything into the PSU until the end. Fans are fine, but I'd hold of on GPU and MB. Make sure you're in constant contact with the case, not on carpet,  and put your packages on the car while opening. The plastic can hold a static charge on the outside, keeping the static away from the  components. You just need to make sure it's discharged before opening. That way, you and the component inside are balanced.

You can always but a strap too. They are cheap.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

you cay say that out of every 100 builds, 98 goes without a single issue regarding static, just take the least of care like mentioned some carpets can be bad and you're pretty safe ^^

Any reason why not go Kaby Lake already? not that you'd be losing much as the 6700k and 7700k are extremely close to one another but newest always desirable no? xD

Absolutely :) 

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Very true, just make sure you're not wresting those polyester shorts that constantly cling to your legs haha.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Very true, just make sure you're not wresting those polyester shorts that constantly cling to your legs haha.

Aww I live in the cold part of Brazil where it snows, I only use pants xD

Personal Desktop":

Same here, I live in the very North of Sweden, so I wear pants 24/7 365 days of the year.

Well 364 days, we do have 1 glorious day of sunshine :P 

Ah,  so stay away from the polyester sweater that always clings to you? Ha. Ok. I forget Brazil has cold.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Ah,  so stay away from the polyester sweater that always clings to you? Ha. Ok. I forget Brazil has cold.

I will make sure not to rub my tights too much :P

And yes Brazil has some of everything, the entrance to my town:

gramado.jpg

My major issue should be make sure I don't get condensation rather xD

Personal Desktop":

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Probably since 6700k is $50 cheaper :) 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Probably since 6700k is $50 cheaper :) 

Hehehe that depends a lot from country to country, due to the less offerings now here in Brazil the 7700k is shipping slightly cheaper than the 6700k already.

Personal Desktop":

If you hold all components by PCB or plastic parts, you can't shock them. Only thing you actually need to be very careful with, is CPU. When pins are without any cover, they are without any protection. After you insert CPU, it will ground pins too.

To ground yourself, only touch something metal connected to power. I've used PSU, just touch shroud and be done with it.

21 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I will make sure not to rub my tights too much :P

And yes Brazil has some of everything, the entrance to my town:

gramado.jpg

My major issue should be make sure I don't get condensation rather xD

That looks like in here few days ago. Its -4C in mornings when it normally should be 10-15C this time of year. Even meteorologists are launghing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv