GTX 1060 + DisplayPort causing boot issues with 2K display connected

I recently installed an EVGA GTX 1060 in my computer, but since installing it, I've run into a few problems with my machine.

First, on every boot the POST hangs for about two minutes on code B2 (Legacy option ROM initialize). I've read that BIOS updates tend to fix this but my mobo hasn't had a BIOS update available since 2014. I have also tinkered with (and fully reset) the BIOS settings in an attempt to get the machine to boot properly. After the hang, the machine reboots into Windows properly. This is my main issue.

That's where the second issue comes in. After boot, DisplayPort is not recognized by the system. My vertical HDMI monitor comes on, but neither of the two (daisy-chained) DP displays are recognized. When I turn the main DP display off, the hardware disconnect sound plays. When I turn it back on, sometimes it doesn't reconnect, and sometimes it does but with a crazy monitor configuration. Physically disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor does not correct the issue. I have to shut the machine down and power it back on to have any hope of a correct monitor configuration (and even then I have to power cycle the main monitor for it to be recognized).

Both problems don't occur when only HDMI is connected at boot, but does occur if any DisplayPort cable is connected in any combination (single monitor, multi, with and without HDMI).

I have tried disabling DisplayPort MST and disconnecting the daisy-chained display but it does not seem to help.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H. None of these issues occur when my GTX 650 Ti Boost from Gigabyte is installed. My PSU has sufficient power to operate the card (750w).

At this point it seems like my options are to upgrade my mobo (and therefore my CPU and possibly RAM as well) or to return/sell the GPU. I'm really hoping there is another option. I REALLY don't want to have to go through another RMA process after having just spent over a month waiting for a replacement PSU from Corsair...

Thanks!

EDIT: Upon further investigation, the issue seems to only occur when my 2K display is connected, regardless of cable used. I've uploaded a video of the behavior:

Edited by Turaiel

but what is the PSU?

Conspiracy

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, JDE said:

but what is the PSU?

Conspiracy

I'm not entirely sure I understand, but I'll answer the question anyway. It's a Corsair RM750x Gold, 750W fully modular.

Are the cables you are using of good quality?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

21 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Are the cables you are using of good quality?

Yeah, they're decent enough, but nothing special. I tried both Monoprice and Cable Matters cables, both rated for DisplayPort 1.2. They worked perfectly with my GTX 650.

2 hours ago, Turaiel said:

Yeah, they're decent enough, but nothing special. I tried both Monoprice and Cable Matters cables, both rated for DisplayPort 1.2. They worked perfectly with my GTX 650.

IIRC both of those have some issues with interference, its possible the new card is aggravating this. how long are the cables? Is it possible to temporarily isolate one or both cables? Especially important can you pull other cables away from near where the plug goes into the GPU?

Just trying to count out interference since both cables have several reviews complaining about interference.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:15 AM, sazrocks said:

IIRC both of those have some issues with interference, its possible the new card is aggravating this. how long are the cables? Is it possible to temporarily isolate one or both cables? Especially important can you pull other cables away from near where the plug goes into the GPU?

Just trying to count out interference since both cables have several reviews complaining about interference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I isolated the cable and also tried the Dell DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor, both having the same result as before. I did just discover something new, though. Apparently, the issue only occurs when my 2K Dell U2717D is connected at boot. If I unplug the power to the monitor and then plug it back in, the POST process continues and the display comes on. If I plug the cable into my Dell U2414H instead, I get no POST delay and the logo appears on boot, though garbled. Once Windows is booted, the display returns to normal. This happens regardless of the cable on my U2414H.

Edit: I've uploaded a video of the behavior: 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually hate to bump, but this is still a big issue for me. Any other ideas?