Future Google OS may not be Android but Fuschia?

Any software that's still under license of any kind that restricts what I can and can't do with the source code is not really "free" software in my view. If you truly want it to be free, release it under the public domain.

EDIT: The statement in the license printout in this snippet is where I'm getting the above from.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Any software that's still under license of any kind that restricts what I can and can't do with the source code is not really "free" software in my view. If you truly want it to be free, release it under the public domain.

GPL doesn't restrict what you can do with the software. It restricts what you can do to other people when passing the software onto them.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Fuchsia is BSD3, MIT, and Apache 2.0 licensed.

I mean, the userland stuff may be closed off, but the OS itself is not proprietary.

The problem is when custom roms need proprietary code to get Fuchsia running on devices. The kernel might be open source but the one built specifically for your phone won't be, there are several discussions over on XDA on the implications. Being based on Linux has been beneficial for the community.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

2 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

The problem is when custom roms need proprietary code to get Fuchsia running on devices. The kernel might be open source but the one built specifically for your phone won't be, there are several discussions over on XDA on the implications. Being based on Linux has been beneficial for the community.

Being based on Linux has nothing to do with whether or not it runs on that specific phone. GPL only applies to the kernel itself. It does not apply to the BSP, applications, or anything else the the phone needs to run in order to work.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's still a restriction.

A restriction on redistributors, not users. The usage of the software is entirely unrestricted.

1 minute ago, Granular said:

A restriction on redistributors, not users. The usage of the software is entirely unrestricted.

As a software developer I have a restriction when deriving work from GPL licensed code: anything I do has to be GPL licensed as well.

I'm still a user of the software. A different kind of user.

sad they are not using an open source kernel but the android isnt exactly developed in the same opensource way as the linux kernel anyway. As a developer i just hope the api remains opensource because its really useful, even MS sees the benefit of an open API. I hope I can actually program on a fuschia device. The good news is that the flutter SDK is not available for windows. fuck windows

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

sad they are not using an open source kernel but the android isnt exactly developed in the same opensource way as the linux kernel anyway. As a developer i just hope the api remains opensource because its really useful, even MS sees the benefit of an open API. I hope I can actually program on a fuschia device. The good news is that the flutter SDK is not available for windows. fuck windows

Fuchsia is open source. https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror  https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror/magenta

EDIT: I guess technically speaking, Fuchsia may have proprietary components, but the core is open source.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Fuchsia is open source.

thank you i found the website. it appears they are doing it more openly than they have done with android and chrome. the discussion elsewhere is about if google will commit or drop this

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 hours ago, zMeul said:

Linux has its own issues, but this new OS won't?! wtf is this shit o.O

I think it was pretty clearly stated why Google has good reasons to do this. Android has loads of issues, especially with security. Nobody said the new OS will be perfect, no OS ever will be. They had to move sometime unless they laid out a roadmap for improvements years ago and never changed their plans. Nobody can lay down an OS and never change it fundamentally over the course of an entire decade. It's never been done before successfully. It's not like there was great support for old Android iterations for the last 5 years anyway. The updates to Nougat still haven't rolled out for the majority of users and compatibility for old versions has always quickly degraded.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As a software developer I have a restriction when deriving work from GPL licensed code: anything I do has to be GPL licensed as well.

I'm still a user of the software. A different kind of user.

GPL doesn't put restrictions on development. Your derived code doesn't have to be licensed under anything until you pass it onto others :^)

Just now, Soonercoop21 said:

I think it was pretty clearly stated why Google has good reasons to do this. Android has loads of issues, especially with security. Nobody said the new OS will be perfect, no OS ever will be. They had to move sometime unless they laid out a roadmap for improvements years ago and never changed their plans. Nobody can lay down an OS and never change it fundamentally over the course of an entire decade. It's never been done before successfully. It's not like there was great support for old Android iterations for the last 5 years anyway. The updates to Nougat still haven't rolled out for the majority of users and compatibility for old versions has always quickly degraded.

and you think that with a whole new OS that will change somehow ... please, don't make me laugh

if Google gave a flying fuck about pushing OS updates to Android phones, they would've done something about it - google only cares about google

if google has a problem with the Linux kernel, they would've fork it and made it in their own image - it's not like others didn't do it

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and you think that with a whole new OS that will change somehow ... please, don't make me laugh

if Google gave a flying fuck about pushing OS updates to Android phones, they would've done something about it - google only cares about google

Ok? You can literally look at this project and see that it is fundamentally different from android, like ludicrously different. No, of course there is never going to be a point at which Google solves all of the problems with their operating systems. Did you even read my comment? I just explained that they never gave a fuck about pushing their new OSs or supporting their old ones. That's exactly why it doesn't matter how little they support android when they do this anyway. Their support for their old operating systems is shit anyway so it's not like it's going to be any worse for people on old operating systems than it has been in the past.

Ok? You can literally look at this project and see that it is fundamentally different from android, like ludicrously different. No, of course there is never going to be appointment at which Google solves all of the problems with their operating systems. Did you even read my comment? I just explained that they never gave a fuck about pushing their old OSs. That's exactly why it doesn't matter how little they support android when they do this anyway. Their support for their old operating systems is shit anyway so it's not like it's going to be any worse for people on old operating systems than it has been in the past.

yes, I read and the whole reasoning behind it is flawed

who controls Android? google! if Android has problems is because google and no one else

if they took missteps with Android what on earth makes you think they won't do the same thing with a new OS!?

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, I read and the whole reasoning behind it is flawed

who controls Android? google! if Android has problems is because google and no one else

if they took missteps with Android what on earth makes you think they won't do the same thing with a new OS!?

Who controls android updates? Mobile phone companies! The main reason that there are issues is largely due to the fact that most people replace their phones at an ungodly pace and the update rollouts are up to these companies. They don't push updates because most people just buy new phones. I never once ever said "they will not take missteps". I am saying that to improve on a user experience, it is required that they move to a new OS at some point. This OS will obviously have its own flaws, but it will progress in some manner. I don't see why it is you are so opposed to operating systems progressing. I never once said that I love Google and that I think they are making every move for the benefit of the consumer, in fact I never alluded to their motives at all. I'm just saying that this is no different from a move to a new Android in terms of long term support so there is no reason to get upset about that aspect of it.

Who controls android updates? Mobile phone companies! 

please cut the crap

if google actually wanted it, they would have control of the updates just like MS and Apple does

Just now, zMeul said:

please cut the crap

if google actually wanted it, they would have control of the updates just like MS and Apple does

I disagree. These companies are far more stubborn about their control over things than Google and because of the way they control the software (Skins, bundled apps, mobile carrier exclusive bullshit) on their phones makes it impossible for Google to roll out those updates independently. If anything, they are improving these problems with a new OS by creating a further proprietary ecosystem that they have more control over.

I disagree. These companies are far more stubborn about their control over things than Google and because of the way they control the software (Skins, bundled apps, mobile carrier exclusive bullshit) on their phones makes it impossible for Google to roll out those updates independently. If anything, they are improving these problems with a new OS by creating a further proprietary ecosystem that they have more control over.

yeah sure

MS does, Apple does it ... google can't xD

Just now, zMeul said:

yeah sure

MS does, Apple does it ... google can't xD

Yeah and guess what, Apple and MS limit this by having no variety in hardware and software between devices. Android is extremely diverse in this regard, which is exactly why Google moving away from android will allow them to create a similar control over their platform. The reason that they have all of these issues is because of Android.

When android and chrome os becomes to one? 

I get the idea... but is it doable? 

Google is like this giant battlecruiser that has a thousands small ships around it.

If it decides to turn, prepare for a fucking tsunami. 

Edit: I think if they do decide to do this, this os will run parallel with android & chrome OS. At least for 5 years. Otherwise it is a disaster. 

Edited by mrchow19910319

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.