Computer Crashes

Camcognito

My computer has been randomly crashing out of the blue for a while now. I took out my GPU, and found out that's the problem. So my GPU is making my PC crash around once an hour or so. Do I have to get a new GPU or is there anything I can do to just fix it?

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

DDU and reinstall drivers.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

And @Camcognito if @themctipers way does not work, you should try to return that GPU if it's still in the warranty period and maybe you'll get a new one or they will repair it.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

If you're lucky it's a driver issue. However if you know that no changes have been made to the machine in the past few weeks but now it's crashing due to the GPU then the GPU might be done for.

19 hours ago, R3ep3r said:

And @Camcognito if @themctipers way does not work, you should try to return that GPU if it's still in the warranty period and maybe you'll get a new one or they will repair it.

I've been having it for a long time, pretty sure it isn't under warranty any more but it's fine

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

19 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're lucky it's a driver issue. However if you know that no changes have been made to the machine in the past few weeks but now it's crashing due to the GPU then the GPU might be done for.

It's been crashing for a lot longer than a few weeks, I've just not really cared to do anything until now because it crashes a lot when I try to play games 

I reinstalled all the drivers and everything, problem still occurs, but I've not lost hope yet. Here's some information I find useful: So the only game I've played (and has been crashing for months) is cs:go. However, it NEVER crashes while I'm in game. If I load up the main menu and leave it there, it will probably crash within a minute or two, and in lobbies it crashes between some games also. But it has never crashed in game. I started playing Garry's Mod a few weeks ago, and it crashes a bunch in game and out. Sometimes it will crash back to back when I load it up. Really confused at why it doesn't crash while I'm playing cs:go.

Could it be I don't have enough power/ it's overheating?

47 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

Could it be I don't have enough power/ it's overheating?

Let's find out. What PSU do you have in this computer and what is the max recorded temperature you have on the GPU? If it's high and the card is old maybe it's time to dust it out and change the thermal compound/pads.

55 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Let's find out. What PSU do you have in this computer and what is the max recorded temperature you have on the GPU? If it's high and the card is old maybe it's time to dust it out and change the thermal compound/pads.

cx430 and the max i have after a few tests is 74c

6 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

cx430 and the max i have after a few tests is 74c

A corsair 430W. Not too bad. What graphics card is is? The one in your tag?

Also 74°C is OK if it's the absolute highest it gets. Beyond 80°C I'd start getting worried even though newer chips claim to operate at 95°C I don't feel comfortable with my GPU at that temperature.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

A corsair 430W. Not too bad. What graphics card is is? The one in your tag?

Also 74°C is OK if it's the absolute highest it gets. Beyond 80°C I'd start getting worried even though newer chips claim to operate at 95°C I don't feel comfortable with my GPU at that temperature.

Yep, a powercolor r9 270. Well I thought it was worth a shot but not surprising that isn't the issue. I tried searching this because I get these kinds of screens when it crashes instead of a blue or black screen, and I see a bunch of these pictures being caused by radeon cards. (a lot of which are r9 series like mine) So I guess other people have this problem

7 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

Yep, a powercolor r9 270. Well I thought it was worth a shot but not surprising that isn't the issue. I tried searching this because I get these kinds of screens when it crashes instead of a blue or black screen, and I see a bunch of these pictures being caused by radeon cards. (a lot of which are r9 series like mine) So I guess other people have this problem

The GPU is a 150W card so without overclocking and provided the rest of the computer isn't drawing a large amount of power it shouldn't be the cause of the issue.

This grey screen. It's possible it's a bad batch of GPU's. Is their a second computer around you could install the GPU in to see if the system does the exact same thing?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

The GPU is a 150W card so without overclocking and provided the rest of the computer isn't drawing a large amount of power it shouldn't be the cause of the issue.

This grey screen. It's possible it's a bad batch of GPU's. Is their a second computer around you could install the GPU in to see if the system does the exact same thing?

Yes, I have one I can do that with tommorow

2 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

Yes, I have one I can do that with tommorow

Do that and report back to the forum. Someone or myself should get back to you about it. If it exhibits the same behaviour I think it's a defective card.