AMD allegedly taking the covers off of Vega on May 16th, will also talk about Navi and Zen+ (WCCFtech so grain of salt is required)

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Tbh I'm not going to make the same mistake I did with the 290X and buy two reference ones and wait for AIB revisions etc.

tbh I don't think AMD will ever make that mistake again. They actually took the same reference cooler design used in the midrange 270x and 280x and slapped it onto a 250 watt TDP hawai 290x. Mind bogglingly dumb thing to do.

Then they told us don't worry it's ok cause 95 degrees C is safe on these chips. Which is true Yes but did they forget their target market? Did they forget that people who buys these expensive GPUs want to see them running cool and quiet under load rather than throttling and losing performance. It also meant that launch day benchmarks of throttling GPUs did not show Hawaii's real potential. Later I purchased an aftermarket sapphire r9 290 vapor x and it is beast to this day. Very cool and quiet despite the aggressive factory overclock.

fortunately I think AMD learned from that and the Fiji GPUs ran cool and quiet from day one.

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

yep, most people gave up and bought NVidia for anything faster than rx 480. Loads of lost revenue for AMD missing an entire market segment. With previous generations we were used to a few months gap where one vendor launches earlier. But here AMD is so incredibly late relatively that they have basically almost skipped an NVidia generation on the high end and vega will have to compete with Volta.

Exactly what I thought. AMD is so late to the party with Vega that at this rate they will literally have given NVidia free reign to sell the GTX 1070, 1080 and above, basically for the whole duration those cards have been available, and charge whatever they want for them as well.

Whereas NVidia keeps churning out new cards every month or so based on Pascal (it seems like that anyway) AMD has given us few cards that offer nothing new, based on old architechture. I really didn't see the point in RX 5xx cards at all. Yeah, a bit more performance for the same amount of money, but honestly it all feels so meh...

And like you said, Vega will have to (possibly anyway) compete against Volta, and unfortunately, competition-wise, that doesn't sound good for AMD.

4 minutes ago, outercry said:

Yeah, a bit more performance for the same amount of money, but honestly it all feels so meh...

A bit like the 1080 and then 1080Ti and then Titan Xp. Those all feel meh and should have been the best they could have from the start.... but Nvidia.

28 minutes ago, leadeater said:

A bit like the 1080 and then 1080Ti and then Titan Xp. Those all feel meh and should have been the best they could have from the start.... but Nvidia.

I totally get what you are saying. But then again NVidia could do it for the aforementioned reasons. Slow trckle of cards which people will still buy, because, no competition.

And like you said, Vega will have to (possibly anyway) compete against Volta, and unfortunately, competition-wise, that doesn't sound good for AMD.

Hopefully now that they are going to be making profits in 2017 they will find a way to stick to their roadmap and launch Navi on time in 2018.

In less than a week they are going to give us the first real juicy details about next gen Navi. This is happening even more before Vega launches. Not sure this is the case but a cynical way of looking at it is that they are not confident about Vega and so they want to reassure shareholders that Navi is coming.

Navi I believe will be the first real indication of what Radeon Technology Group can come up with going forward. Polaris and Vega were both in the works before RTG was formed.

Capsaicin-Presented-by-AMD-Radeon_FINAL-

you mean after summers then AMD will lose profits

I never mentioned a year ;)

6 hours ago, Humbug said:

Hopefully now that they are going to be making profits in 2017 they will find a way to stick to their roadmap and launch Navi on time in 2018.

In less than a week they are going to give us the first real juicy details about next gen Navi. This is happening even more before Vega launches. Not sure this is the case but a cynical way of looking at it is that they are not confident about Vega and so they want to reassure shareholders that Navi is coming.

Navi I believe will be the first real indication of what Radeon Technology Group can come up with going forward. Polaris and Vega were both in the works before RTG was formed.

I hope you are right. Delays, constant waiting coupled with the uncertainty isn't doing them any favours (as seen with Vegas' situation). With Ryzen and hopefully Vega they get their finances in a better shape going forward, but that remains to be seen, especially with Vega, which could still go either way.

I also agree with your view on Navi. It could really do massive things, but again, a bit the same situation as with Vega, a) they have to first get it out, and b) it has to deliver.

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

It's kinda sad looking at that road map.

The map only accounts for performance per watt, stating that polaris was 2.5x better than previous gen but they haven't released a card that beat the previous gen (beat as in outright beat)

I have my Vega money still here since the beginning of the year and with Nvidia's Volta in the horizon I'm not sure what to settle for. Maybe if everything else sucks I'd just get the cheapest GTX 1070 out there which could last a couple of years.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Wccf

AMD Ryzen 16 Core “Whitehaven” Enthusiast CPUs Leaked – 3.6GHz Clock Speed, Boatloads of Cache & Quad Channel DDR4 Support

hope to god its legit 

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

It's kinda sad looking at that road map.

The map only accounts for performance per watt, stating that polaris was 2.5x better than previous gen but they haven't released a card that beat the previous gen (beat as in outright beat)

I have my Vega money still here since the beginning of the year and with Nvidia's Volta in the horizon I'm not sure what to settle for. Maybe if everything else sucks I'd just get the cheapest GTX 1070 out there which could last a couple of years.

You know, I have noticed the same, when looking at that.

And I'm also in a similar situation to yours, wanting to get a new GPU (I have GTX 970, which does just fine, but...), but not quite sure if waiting for Vega is the right thing to do anymore, and yeah I get that its not that far off anymore (hopefully), but I have this feeling that I could have gone and picked up GTX 1080 (especially after the price drop) and saved myself even more waiting.

And as you said, Volta is coming as well, possibly sooner than we think, and that really makes me wonder about my next GPU purchase even more. But where do you draw the line? How long do you wait? Because as we know, tech such as GPUs go forward with such a pace that you can get stuck in a perpetual circle of waiting for the next thing and the next thing...

12 hours ago, outercry said:

You know, I have noticed the same, when looking at that.

And I'm also in a similar situation to yours, wanting to get a new GPU (I have GTX 970, which does just fine, but...), but not quite sure if waiting for Vega is the right thing to do anymore, and yeah I get that its not that far off anymore (hopefully), but I have this feeling that I could have gone and picked up GTX 1080 (especially after the price drop) and saved myself even more waiting.

And as you said, Volta is coming as well, possibly sooner than we think, and that really makes me wonder about my next GPU purchase even more. But where do you draw the line? How long do you wait? Because as we know, tech such as GPUs go forward with such a pace that you can get stuck in a perpetual circle of waiting for the next thing and the next thing...

It's in the mind of every non-biased thinking consumer. For this time, my line is with a GTX 1070, if Vega flops, or even a GTX 1080 if the price goes down. I've been waiting too long for a GPU (started since RX 480, when I thought Vega was near I decided to wait lol).

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Another finding is that apparently the Linux driver points at a dual Vega card:

Source:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/linux_driver_patch_notes_reveal_amd_s_planned_dual_vega_gpu/1

The two lines that suggest the existence of a dual Vega GPU are below, listing two thermal limits for a liquid cooled GPU. 

• table->Tliquid1Limit = cpu_to_le16(tdp_table->usTemperatureLimitLiquid1);
  • table->Tliquid2Limit = cpu_to_le16(tdp_table->usTemperatureLimitLiquid2);

Another line also suggests the use of a PLX chip in a GPU, which again hints at a dual-GPU configuration. A PLX chip is used to connect two GPUs dies in a single graphics card and allow them both to operate on a single PCIe connection. The below line refers to the cooling of said chip, allowing fans to respond to the temperature of the PLX chip. 

The fact that this support is already planned means they plan on dual vega fairly soon, which would line up with other rumors about performance being at around 1080 level with dual gpus being needed to overtake the 1080ti

@lots of unexplainable lag might wanna add to the Original Post.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Another finding is that apparently the Linux driver points at a dual Vega card:

Source:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/linux_driver_patch_notes_reveal_amd_s_planned_dual_vega_gpu/1

The fact that this support is already planned means they plan on dual vega fairly soon, which would line up with other rumors about performance being at around 1080 level with dual gpus being needed to overtake the 1080ti

@lots of unexplainable lag might wanna add to the Original Post.

Someone would need to go back through the original Polaris driver updates, as the Pro Duo would count as well.  We'll see a dual GPU Vega, it's just a question if it's consumer-side.  If we're getting a "halo" card, I'd expect to see it after the first release of Vega.  There's noticeable utility with making reviewers retest games.

9 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

It's in the mind of every non-biased thinking consumer. For this time, my line is with a GTX 1070, if Vega flops, or even a GTX 1080 if the price goes down. I've been waiting too long for a GPU (started since RX 480, when I thought Vega was near I decided to wait lol).

I'm definitely with you on this one. I mean, unless Volta (for consumers) literally comes out this year (quite unlikely), or possibly beginning of next, I have three, or I suppose two, me being realistic about it, options. A Vega card or GTX 1080, I was going to say 1080 Ti as well, but I don't think I'm going to drop that amount of money on a GPU, which even the cheapest Ti's go for.

14 hours ago, outercry said:

I'm definitely with you on this one. I mean, unless Volta (for consumers) literally comes out this year (quite unlikely), or possibly beginning of next, I have three, or I suppose two, me being realistic about it, options. A Vega card or GTX 1080, I was going to say 1080 Ti as well, but I don't think I'm going to drop that amount of money on a GPU, which even the cheapest Ti's go for.

It's always good to think twice on the really high end ones. In a year or two a mid range card is gonna chop it down like the GTX 980 and GTX 1060. In the mean time some GTX 1080's are hitting $500 right now. Definitely have my pockets ready.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

On 12/05/2017 at 4:05 PM, YoloSwag said:

It's always good to think twice on the really high end ones. In a year or two a mid range card is gonna chop it down like the GTX 980 and GTX 1060. In the mean time some GTX 1080's are hitting $500 right now. Definitely have my pockets ready.

Yeah, definitely. With tech going forward so fast, what is high-end now will be demoted to mediocre or so fairly quickly. I'm more than ready to buy as well, but I'm not in a rush, so I can wait and see what happens with Vega at least. Even if it means further price drops on NVidia's cards (don't know how likely that might be).

On 5/12/2017 at 8:05 AM, YoloSwag said:

It's almost always best to buy the mid-tier cards in any generation.  The premium paid will best be used somewhere else within the computer, or simply saved for the next generation's mid-tier card.