DIY PC

I'm building a custom rig andd this has helped me with the more important parts. Thankyou! (from Australia)

I will definitely be referring people to this page when they are asking for help selecting parts. This way, they know what they are getting and not just blindly accepting someone's advice.

I'm building a custom rig andd this has helped me with the more important parts. Thankyou! (from Australia)

Glad to hear it :)

Amazing information for newbies. Good job windspeed36!

I was happily surprised to find out that more games are utilizing more cores, i still thought the majority were only using 2 cores:) 

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Power distribution – if you plan to overclock a CPU, ensure that a board has adequate thermal management as well as adequate power to the CPU. 6 phases is often recommended as the minimum.

For 1155, 4 phase is fine, provided it has decent MOSFETs. 6+ phase is definitely recommended for AM3+ 8 cores and 2011.

Thanks, shared it with a few of my friends

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

I need a new gaming PC and i already choose the Memory and Tower. So my question is... What should i buy if i want the best performance for my buck. I live in Denmark and the cheapest site is mostly www.komplett.dk so if you need to give me advise and tell me "hey this is better for the money" or "hey you should buy this instead." it needs to meet the requirements of my price range.

Tower i have bought:

http://www.komplett....aspx?sku=632623

Memory i have bought (1 stick):

http://www.komplett....aspx?sku=776805

Budget:

5700 DDK 1004 USD 765 EUR

This is what i've come up with

http://www.komplett.dk/k/shoplist.aspx

please use the same website, i'm pretty sure you can get your browser to translate the site.

I would really like some nice builds to help me out, thanks.

Storage

You’ve got two options for storage; SSD’s and mechanical hard drives. 

What about them floppies?  <_< OK, in all seriousness, I'm kidding. Using floppies is akin to Linus talking about people using VGA cables.

To make this reply useful, I think the greatest use I've had for 3.5 inch floppy bays in my cases is to repurpose them to accommodate a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive, simply because I have extras lying around. Makes it really easy to just slap one in, store some things, then take it on the road with a Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 to Sata adapter.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

awsome thread for all the ppl that are in the buying a new PC dreams hehe =D

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's for all the tips, and this helps a lot when your starting out like me.

thanks for this tread i really found this useful in bying my first actual gaming pc :)

thanks for this tread i really found this useful in bying my first actual gaming pc :)

That's what it was made to to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great post and thread, well done! :D 

[CPU] AMD Athlon II X3 425 OC'd @ 3.3Ghz [MOBO] MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ [RAM] Corsair XMS3 8gb 1999Mhz [GPU]Asus Radeon HD 7770 2gb [CASE]Zalman Z11 Plus[storage]WD 1tb Intel 530 Series 120gb SSD[PSU]Corsair CX500W Modular PSU[Keyboard] Microsoft Sidewinder X4[Headphones]Steel Series Siberias Republic of Gamers

i am planning to build my first desktop and i am planning to get the fx-6300 with 7850 gpu.

Thinking of building this - AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz  Black Edition

ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX Motherboard

Asus Radeon HD 7770 DirectCU Graphics Card 1GB GDDR5

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8GB RAM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb Hard Drive

Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular PSU

Antec One Midi Tower Case

Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Windows 8 64-bit

[CPU] AMD Athlon II X3 425 OC'd @ 3.3Ghz [MOBO] MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ [RAM] Corsair XMS3 8gb 1999Mhz [GPU]Asus Radeon HD 7770 2gb [CASE]Zalman Z11 Plus[storage]WD 1tb Intel 530 Series 120gb SSD[PSU]Corsair CX500W Modular PSU[Keyboard] Microsoft Sidewinder X4[Headphones]Steel Series Siberias Republic of Gamers

Damn that must have taken long to write.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Thinking of building this - AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz  Black Edition

ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX Motherboard

Asus Radeon HD 7770 DirectCU Graphics Card 1GB GDDR5

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8GB RAM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb Hard Drive

Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular PSU

Antec One Midi Tower Case

Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Windows 8 64-bit

For that system it would be better if you got 4gb ram and got a radeon 7790. Asus are overpriced with lower level cards.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

For that system it would be better if you got 4gb ram and got a radeon 7790. Asus are overpriced with lower level cards.

Thanks a lot, will give that a think :)

Are you guys going to update to Haswell?

I can not decide either to update or not.... What you guys think!?

HELP PLEASE! HAHA  :lol:

Spoiler

Are you guys going to update to Haswell?

I can not decide either to update or not.... What you guys think!?

HELP PLEASE! HAHA  :lol:

I will hopefully tonight.

impressive

hard to believe you did this without a single dime of pay

good job man

Linus did a good deed creating this fourm, every post i read is worth my time, I believe everyone can agree

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Updated for Haswell plus I've added information about overclocking.