DIY PC

Updated for Haswell plus I've added information about overclocking. 

What did you think? Was it worth? I'll probably update too..

Spoiler

For that system it would be better if you got 4gb ram and got a radeon 7790. Asus are overpriced with lower level cards.

Thanks a lot, will give that a think :)

I totally agree with brownninja, you will be a lot happier with a 7790, esp @ 1080p res

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I totally agree with brownninja, you will be a lot happier with a 7790, esp @ 1080p res

Is it worth getting a 2gb 7770 rather than a 1gb 7790?

[CPU] AMD Athlon II X3 425 OC'd @ 3.3Ghz [MOBO] MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ [RAM] Corsair XMS3 8gb 1999Mhz [GPU]Asus Radeon HD 7770 2gb [CASE]Zalman Z11 Plus[storage]WD 1tb Intel 530 Series 120gb SSD[PSU]Corsair CX500W Modular PSU[Keyboard] Microsoft Sidewinder X4[Headphones]Steel Series Siberias Republic of Gamers

I would say no. But opinions may vary.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

What did you think? Was it worth? I'll probably update too..

I would still go Sandy bridge over Haswell and Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge over Haswell. Have a look into the Haswell overclocking discrepancies between chips. 

It's a 7970 3GB, my concern is I only have 3gb even with another card. so is it worth it?

u have enough

1 gb 7790 is way better than 7770 2 gb, I dont even get how a 7770 will even use 2 gb

Wow great post. Will adding a 2nd card increase performance on 5760x1080 (3 monitor) display, or do I need more VRAM for that?

Both help. 2 cards would increase it too

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I would still go Sandy bridge over Haswell and Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge over Haswell. Have a look into the Haswell overclocking discrepancies between chips. 

It's not only the discrepancies, it's the lack of build quality, and consistency within each CPU. I've seen Haswells with two cores at very high temperatures, in idle mode, and the other two perfectly normal. Guess that's what you get for paying slaves to do a glue job...I use to do those in Kindergarten. So, after not seeing one single "good" Haswell, I'm going X79 2011.

Haswell is a bad joke, and various disasters waiting to happen...I seriously doubt most will run for more than two/three years. But I guess that is a sign of the times, disposable goods, and keeping the idiots consuming. If we only had AMD, and Nvidia in the CPU marketplace.

This is a very good and informative post. It should help with a lot of people who do not know what to put in their PC. But it would help if they did some research themselves =)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building a gaming pc what should I get, win7 or win8?

Thank you!

Thank you!

8. :)

Thank you!

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Are you guys going to update to Haswell?

I can not decide either to update or not.... What you guys think!?

HELP PLEASE! HAHA  :lol:

If you'd have less power consumption and better on-board graphics for about $500 USD, then go ahead and upgrade. I'm no expert but I wouldn't upgrade if I had a LGA 1155 system. Looking at your specs, you might want to upgrade your system, but only to haswell cpu and Mobo, obviously.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

8. :)

Is Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 better now that 8.1 has come out? ( From the preview at least ). I am thinking of buying Window 8 for my first self-built system.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

But make sure to get 98 SE, that one is so much better! :)

Sorry to the OP for contributing nothing to your thread. ;)

Is Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 better now that 8.1 has come out? ( From the preview at least ). I am thinking of buying Window 8 for my first self-built system.

I'd have a hunt around in the OS area and see if you can find some stuff from GoodBytes who appears to have a lot of knowledge about 8 and 8.1 as I haven't actually used either yet. I just know that 8 will provide improvements over 7 otherwise why would they release it?

If you'd have less power consumption and better on-board graphics for about $500 USD, then go ahead and upgrade. I'm no expert but I wouldn't upgrade if I had a LGA 1155 system. Looking at your specs, you might want to upgrade your system, but only to haswell cpu and Mobo, obviously.

Yeah, i've ordered a 4770k and Gryphon already!  :lol:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have a hunt around in the OS area and see if you can find some stuff from GoodBytes who appears to have a lot of knowledge about 8 and 8.1 as I haven't actually used either yet. I just know that 8 will provide improvements over 7 otherwise why would they release it?

$$$$$ <====That's why. ====>$$$$$

Laws only govern the honest.

This is awesome. How long did it take?

Only a couple of hours if that. :)

Props to you for this excellent guide! I'm sure it'll help a lot of folks.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Possible to fix the New Builds and Planning and Read Before Posting: NB&P links because they direct to an ip which is inaccessible?

Nice guide btw. :) Very helpful for guiding people in choosing their parts.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer