Trying to get sound out of an ONKYO TX-NR609...how hard should it be?

I bought two of these, one's a factory refurb I was going to shelve as a backup and the other as a burner for day to day use...

...the thing is, the burner I can't get a sound out of and I'm concerned it might be faulty.

How difficult should it be to get sound out of one of these things?

I tried getting sound from it using the previous user's settings, and having no luck, reset it to factory defaults and systematically went through the menu item by item trying to find something that might be preventing it from producing sound, but still no luck.

Also, some of it's digital features are grayed out in the menus with apparently no way of turning them on.

The other one of these (the factory refurb) worked straight out of the box but I can't rule out that being because it was tested in the factory when it was repaired and left on settings that would let it produce sound.

How difficult should it be to get sound out of an ONKYO TX-NR609 set to factory defaults? Should I just assume it's faulty at this point?

Running searches shows that there is a known issue with these that causes them to fail but I'm worried I've left stones unturned in trying to get this thing to work.

I've arranged a return with the seller but I'm concerned about coming up against a scenario where it gets back to him and he somehow knows the secret menu combination to get sound out of the thing.

Is it safe to assume it's faulty?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Also, in addition...sorry for the duplicate post...I ran some searches for troubleshooting ideas and I found a post saying that if you use the microphone to calibrate the machine it can turn on the speakers...

...I have no idea if the person who posted that was high at the time, but should I assume this thing shouldn't just work out of the box unless I run a calibration (I don't think this is the case as I couldn't get any sound out of it with the previous user's settings either)

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

@GuruMeditationError

Receivers should work right out of the box as long as you have one or more speakers connected to the front outputs, and the receiver can turn on normally and you've set it to the correct input (HDMI1, HDMI2, AV1, AV2, etc.)

Some items are grayed out because they were a certain signal before they let you change the settings. For example, my receiver disables any subwoofer settings if I am in "stereo" only mode.

A calibration is never required to make the receiver function.

It's also difficult to pin point your problem. Seeing as how it could be an amplification issue (doubtful), or a digital issue with the HDMI board or other circuitry.

Have you tried connecting a standard RCA product (phone, tablet, PC) to see if the device even makes a peep?

15 minutes ago, JohnT said:

@GuruMeditationError

Receivers should work right out of the box as long as you have one or more speakers connected to the front outputs, and the receiver can turn on normally and you've set it to the correct input (HDMI1, HDMI2, AV1, AV2, etc.)

Some items are grayed out because they were a certain signal before they let you change the settings. For example, my receiver disables any subwoofer settings if I am in "stereo" only mode.

A calibration is never required to make the receiver function.

It's also difficult to pin point your problem. Seeing as how it could be an amplification issue (doubtful), or a digital issue with the HDMI board or other circuitry.

Have you tried connecting a standard RCA product (phone, tablet, PC) to see if the device even makes a peep?

You know, I haven't done that...I just tested the connections I needed (optical cable and HDMI). Also I tried it with my Walkman via the USB and got no sound from any of them...

I assumed it was faulty because the factory refurb I have (with nothing plugged in or attached) lights up all of the speaker icons in the display the moment it's switched on...also the one I'm getting sound from makes an extra op amp switching sound when it turns on and off...the one I can't get to make a sound doesn't have that extra click and doesn't display any speaker icons, and just displays the word "analog" in the display...I can't get it to switch to digital or to display the speaker icons.

The thing is I've been looking at others of these on eBay and very few of the ones that are shown switched on are displaying the speaker icons...I'm wondering if they can all be faulty?

I'm tempted to drag it back out of the box and spend the weekend trying to get it working, I just feel like it should be easier to get functional than this.

Here's a pic of the two next to each other switched on but with absolutely nothing plugged into or wired into them...

2010-10-29_18-15-04_552.jpg

2010-10-29_18-15-15_77.jpg

7 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

The thing is I've been looking at others of these on eBay and very few of the ones that are shown switched on are displaying the speaker icons...I'm wondering if they can all be faulty?

Hmm the speaker icons should all be on when in "All Ch Stereo" mode. This is weird. And no. It shouldn't be this hard to get sound out of it :)

Some relay isn't switching on. There is definitely something faulty with the receiver on the right (in the image you posted)

18 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Hmm the speaker icons should all be on when in "All Ch Stereo" mode. This is weird. And no. It shouldn't be this hard to get sound out of it :)

Some relay isn't switching on. There is definitely something faulty with the receiver on the right (in the image you posted)

I think so...I think the reason for the photos of these switched on on eBay almost ubiquitously not displaying the speaker icons could very well be that this particular model was prone to failing...I'd like to believe people are more honest about stuff like this but unfortunately, when it comes to eBay and private amazon sellers these days I expecting people to try and rip me off...I've factored it into my time and money budgeting for buying via those channels at this point. 

I'm an ethical seller, so I chase everything up because I can't afford to loose on both ends.

The speaker icons appearing seem to co-inside with the second switching sound.

I could drag it back out of the box and try and test it more thoroughly, but either way, I can't use it if it won't support the devices I bought it for.

The guy I bought it from has already sent me the courier label for the return, so at this point I think it's just going to be a case of getting it shipped back.

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I think so...I think the reason for the photos of these switched on on eBay almost ubiquitously not displaying the speaker icons could very well be that this particular model was prone to failing...I'd like to believe people are more honest about stuff like this but unfortunately, when it comes to eBay and private amazon sellers these days I expecting people to try and rip me off...I've factored it into my time and money budgeting for buying via those channels at this point. 

I'm an ethical seller, so I chase everything up because I can't afford to loose on both ends.

The speaker icons appearing seem to co-inside with the second switching sound.

I could drag it back out of the box and try and test it more thoroughly, but either way, I can't use it if it won't support the devices I bought it for.

The guy I bought it from has already sent me the courier label for the return, so at this point I think it's just going to be a case of getting it shipped back.

Yeah I would get rid of it. I generally buy used from Craigslist and ask to audition/test the product before purchasing. I don't have issues with the people who let me try it first.

Just now, JohnT said:

Yeah I would get rid of it. I generally buy used from Craigslist and ask to audition/test the product before purchasing. I don't have issues with the people who let me try it first.

That's a good policy...can save a lot of screwing about.