Choice of SSD in Build

I would like someones' advice on using Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD in a computer build.  Specifically, I would like to know if there would be any gain in transfer speed by using a 2nd one in a RAID0 configuration on a Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

My concern is that it is a substantial amount of money to drop for an SSD if there will be no transfer-speed-from-permanent-storage performance gain.  I would like to know if the data pipe is   w i d e   enough to ensure that the 2nd drive would result in a significant boost in performance for the permanent storage in terms of speed.

Why you want a NVMe SSD? What are your main usage of the SSD?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

There would almost certainly be an increase in speeds, but depending on what you're trying to accomplish it is most likely unnecessary. If you are just gaming then it's better to go up to the next GPU and/or CPU. 

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

I highly recommend using an NVMe SSD in new builds.

Why? Unless you're doing something that needs lots of data transfer, a good SATA SSD will work perfectly fine.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

NVMe SSDs are better than SATA SSDs in every way except when it comes to costs.

6 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

I highly recommend using an NVMe SSD in new builds.

I'm with ZM. If there's money to burn then sure go for whatever is fastest, but even the cheapest SATA SSD will give you performance lightyears ahead of a mechanical drive. For $500 for two NVME drives you can upgrade so much more in your system that will improve the experience. 

Saying that an NVME drive is better than a SATA drive is the easy part, but then again 3400 mhz ram is better in every way than 3000. Doesn't mean most people need it.

14 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

Saying that an NVME drive is better than a SATA drive is the easy part, but then again 3400 mhz ram is better in every way than 3000. Doesn't mean most people need it.

Exactly. I think most people will be more than happy with the performance of something like a sata Samsung 850 Evo. Those things are no slouch, even though they are the previous generation. The $146 premium would be better spent somewhere else, unless this is a no-limits build.

22 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

NVMe SSDs are better than SATA SSDs in every way except when it comes to costs.

A $50 steak is better than a $5 burger, but which do people normally get to satisfy hunger?

25 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

I'm with ZM. If there's money to burn then sure go for whatever is fastest, but even the cheapest SATA SSD will give you performance lightyears ahead of a mechanical drive. For $500 for two NVME drives you can upgrade so much more in your system that will improve the experience. 

Yeah. You can save the money by buying a SATA SSD and get better parts like better CPU/GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Darrien said:

I would like someones' advice on using Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD in a computer build.  Specifically, I would like to know if there would be any gain in transfer speed by using a 2nd one in a RAID0 configuration on a Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 motherboard.

My concern is that it is a substantial amount of money to drop for an SSD if there will be no transfer-speed-from-permanent-storage performance gain.  I would like to know if the data pipe is   w i d e   enough to ensure that the 2nd drive would result in a significant boost in performance for the permanent storage in terms of speed.

you get significant sequential speed increase and increases on artificial benchmarks. I think 3+ drives maxes out the bus, but will have to check that. In real world you dont need to RAID0 SSDs and bigger SSDs are faster anyway.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I appreciate everyones' input on this subject.  The system I would like to build includes an Intel i7 7700K, motherboard mentioned in original post @ start of thread, (probably) MSI GTX 1070, original drives from previous build, RAM still to be decided.