Need help in choosing monitor

sarfraz

I have triple 27 inch monitors setup. The middle one is different. It's benq Xl2720Z, a 1080p, 144hz Tn panel. The other two are IPS 27 inch panel 1080p. I am not able to play games on all the three because games are stretched. So, I am thinking of selling the IPS panels and getting a new one. However, I am confused between either buying an IPS 144Hz 1440p 27 inch monitor which will cost a lot and will replace the TN panel or buying an IPS 4K 27/28 inch panel which will allow better picture quality at high resolution and half the price. I don't think there is a large difference between a 1440p and 1080p but there sure is a large difference between a 1080p and 4K. What should I do? Should I keep the 2 IPS monitors? should I buy a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel or should I buy a 4K 60Hz IPS panel?

3 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

I have triple 27 inch monitors setup. The middle one is different. It's benq Xl2720Z, a 1080p, 144hz Tn panel. The other two are IPS 27 inch panel 1080p. I am not able to play games on all the three because games are stretched. So, I am thinking of selling the IPS panels and getting a new one. However, I am confused between either buying an IPS 144Hz 1440p 27 inch monitor which will cost a lot and will replace the TN panel or buying an IPS 4K 27/28 inch panel which will allow better picture quality at high resolution and half the price. I don't think there is a large difference between a 1440p and 1080p but there sure is a large difference between a 1080p and 4K. What should I do? Should I keep the 2 IPS monitors? should I buy a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel or should I buy a 4K 60Hz IPS panel?

What kind of games are you playing? If you are playing FPS games then going for 144Hz would be good. If those games you played are not FPS, then going 144Hz won't really matter that much. Plus, What's you GPU? 4K 60Hz you need at least GTX 1080 or so in order to barely meet it.
*PS: I might be wrong thou.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Samsung C27F390 is pretty good and Dell U2414H is also good. (I have both monitors and it is comfortable for gaming)

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Well playing at 2560x1440p will be waaay easier on your PC.

4K is amazing assuming you have the horsepower to run it at that resolution.

My recommendation is 1440p at 144Hz (and IPS if that's important to you), it's basically the sweetspot of gaming atm.

Keep in mind that if you want to run games over multiple monitors there's a risk the resolution will get funky over them if you have different resolutions on the monitors themselves.

For 4K gaming I suggest having at least a GTX 1080, I have one myself and Mass Effect Andromeda at max settings runs at 20-30 FPS.

Not very smooth.

50 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

Some says that IPS is bad for gaming, but I don't know if in triple monitors would be helpful

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

52 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

Keep those two IPS monitors, they are great. Maybe later you can get the second option

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 hour ago, VolkA said:

What kind of games are you playing? If you are playing FPS games then going for 144Hz would be good. If those games you played are not FPS, then going 144Hz won't really matter that much. Plus, What's you GPU? 4K 60Hz you need at least GTX 1080 or so in order to barely meet it.
*PS: I might be wrong thou.

I play CSGO, the witcher 3, dying light, doom, battlefield 4 etc. I know I will need gtx 1080, right now i have gtx 1060 but I will upgrade to gtx 1080 ti soon. 

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Depends on what you want and what you do with your PC.

Gaming in surround or 4K is just silly to me.

I also see in your profile you have a 1060. Unless you're planning to replace it, I see no good reason to go 1440p 144Hz

I will replace 1060 with a 1080 ti soon. 

Just now, sarfraz said:

I play CSGO, the witcher 3, dying light, doom, battlefield 4 etc. I know I will need gtx 1080, right now i have gtx 1060 but I will upgrade to gtx 1080 ti soon. 

Looking at the games you play, I think 144Hz might be a better option for you.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Just now, VolkA said:

Looking at the games you play, I think 144Hz might be a better option for you.

I already have a 144hz monitor but 1080p. I wanted something with IPS. 1440p seemed to me not a very good upgrade so I thought to use a 4K. but again 4K IPS 60hz is limited to Frequency and the games won't feel much smoother. I have to think wisely. 

3 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

I already have a 144hz monitor but 1080p. I wanted something with IPS. 1440p seemed to me not a very good upgrade so I thought to use a 4K. but again 4K IPS 60hz is limited to Frequency and the games won't feel much smoother. I have to think wisely. 

Well just stay in 1080p, do you mind optimizing your eyes for 4K?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well just stay in 1080p, do you mind optimizing your eyes for 4K?

Ok, so where should I spend some of my money. I want some more good PC hardware. 

6 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

Ok, so where should I spend some of my money. I want some more good PC hardware. 

Well get a GTX 1070 if you don't have

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Well get a GTX 1070 if you don't have

Nah. For 1080p 1060 is more than enough. I am getting decent frame rates on ultra. 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Gaming at 4K not a wise idea, even if you have a 1080Ti

Whats the whole motivation behind this 'upgrade?

I can't find a 1440p + 144Hz + IPS display in your country. It going to be extraordinarily expensive.

This is the best I found

I know that, that's why I asked if it's good to buy one. I think I should stick to my current setup. 

32 minutes ago, sarfraz said:

I know that, that's why I asked if it's good to buy one. I think I should stick to my current setup. 

Seriously gaming at 4K is not all so awesome even if you buy a 1080Ti. At the moment, 4K is still not really that worth it for gaming. I think you should just save your money for now. If you had to spend your money (due to whatever reason(s)), then I would recommend you getting the 1440 144Hz or just a 1080Ti.

Just my 2 cents thought.

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-3 at 2:55 PM, sarfraz said:

Nah. For 1080p 1060 is more than enough. I am getting decent frame rates on ultra. 

Thumbs up then!

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :