How to start CSS

KR0N05

Hey y'all,

So basically I'm a student interested in learning styling and html, html has been easier to learn for whatever reason (seems to be that I can find lots more documentation on this than any other web language), but I've always wanted to be artistic in my websites (make them look good) , make them look cool and have features many other well created websites contain. This is also to help with a upcoming project as I want to create a portfolio of my abilities as a coder, now I'm familiar with C, Java and SQL and Python for example.

If anyone can point me in a direction so links, tips anything that could help all appreciated in advance.

My Main Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.6Ghz,

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2666MHz,

GPU: SAPPHIRE AMD HD7770 GHz Edition 1GB GDDR5,

SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB (Linux boot),

HDD: WD 1TB Green (Windows 10 Home Premium), 500Gb HDD (random games), 4TB Seagate Barracuda (ISO's and hoarding),  

PSU: 750W Corsair Semi-Modular Bronze efficiency,

Case: Aero 500 white side panel,

Spoiler

Raspberry Pi: First version model B 512Mb RAM, 700MH, pihole for the network

Spoiler

Laptop: Intel Pentium 3825U @ 1.90GHz, 4GB ram, 1TB HDD, Ubuntu server running samba

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

realizes thread is not about counter strike source, backs away slowly........

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

First off, thanks all for the responses. After looking through some of these links, I found out I got a long way to go xDxDxD, I have occasionally picked up the odd thing from HTML but hopefully these links/books/online practice will help me put more of it into use. I have seen a few of these before like the w3schools however didn't get very far in them can't remember why but always worth going over again I suppose. 

My Main Build:

HDD: WD 1TB Green (Windows 10 Home Premium), 500Gb HDD (random games), 4TB Seagate Barracuda (ISO's and hoarding),  

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptop: Intel Pentium 3825U @ 1.90GHz, 4GB ram, 1TB HDD, Ubuntu server running samba

Once you start writing alot of CSS try to go to LESSor SASS/SCSS it makes nesting possible and variables, mixins it makes your code more DRY (Dont repeat yourself).

With a building system like Grunt or GULP. Which has alot of videos/guides to set it up.

If you did not really get what i said just youtube gulp with less or something. Im sure some videos will make it more than clear and makes CSS a bit less painful.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

2 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

Once you start writing alot of CSS try to go to LESSor SASS/SCSS it makes nesting possible and variables, mixins it makes your code more DRY (Dont repeat yourself).

With a building system like Grunt or GULP. Which has alot of videos/guides to set it up.

I had some interest in LESS and SASS, but then I still do my CSS manually and when I catch myself repeating things, I roll them back into one class.

I guess it helps to avoid having a long list of classes in your HTML.

3 hours ago, Cruorzy said:

If you did not really get what i said just youtube gulp with less or something. Im sure some videos will make it more than clear and makes CSS a bit less painful.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to keep this in mind and see the difficulty because although I want to start off pretty basic I suppose its just what can LESS or SASS do that CSS wouldn't allow me to do and just seeing how far I can get with keeping up with the difficulty.

My Main Build:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Decide what you want to do: Example ... making wizard style steps for a workflow. Then google wizard steps fiiddle css. You will find a plethora of examples of what people have mode. What is even better is that with fiddle you can f with what they have done to make it work the way you want.

I use fiddle in my job all the time (full stack sharepoint developer). Mess with fiddle, learn LESS (for better control without as much code), and GOOGLE! Just google what you want and add fiddle at the end. You are nearly guranteed to find something every time.

Lastly, learn JQuery to mess with the CSS on the fly.

3 hours ago, KR0N05 said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to keep this in mind and see the difficulty because although I want to start off pretty basic I suppose its just what can LESS or SASS do that CSS wouldn't allow me to do and just seeing how far I can get with keeping up with the difficulty.

I dont know how much you know about it but in a nutshell, less/sass gets compiled to basic css in the end you get the same end functionality but it makes writing the end product much better.

Syntax is the same in most cases like background :green etc

But there are a few handy things you could replace that would actually write 5 lines in the css file like propertys that need specific pointers to chrome/edge browsers 

:) its awesome

2 minutes ago, gspark05 said:

Decide what you want to do: Example ... making wizard style steps for a workflow. Then google wizard steps fiiddle css. You will find a plethora of examples of what people have mode. What is even better is that with fiddle you can f with what they have done to make it work the way you want.

I use fiddle in my job all the time (full stack sharepoint developer). Mess with fiddle, learn LESS (for better control without as much code), and GOOGLE! Just google what you want and add fiddle at the end. You are nearly guranteed to find something every time.

Lastly, learn JQuery to mess with the CSS on the fly.

Dont really know what it is, but ill look into it too. Thanks for sharing man :)

6 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Dont really know what it is, but ill look into it too. Thanks for sharing man :)

FIDDLE ... it is literally the best thing since sliced bread.

Like here ... this is what I found when I was looking at how to make wizard steps via css: https://jsfiddle.net/slothbear/gxRMr/

You can mess with the code without having to deploy it locally on your test site.

Oh i see, seems something like codepen what i use when i share a short amount of code to someone.

Codepen also has the feature to write sass/less and include libs on a easy way.

https://www.freecodecamp.com - best site I have ever used (years ago used - w3s, codeacademy and many more sites, but this now i love it.), similar to w3schools principal, but there is very active only chat and challenges, were you can go and learn and finish like lessons. Chat is very helpful because when you are stuck write in this chat your problem and guys will instantly help you and solv this problem.

sorry for my language, i try my best.