Learning a new language

Craftable124
Go to solution Solved by martinrox1568,

first learn CSS and HTML. As in now!Then finish reading the rest of this post. After around 10 minutes, you should have mastered it, and be reading the next part of this text.

Great, now learn javascrip/jquery. Any language that can work in a browser, to me seems like the most useful language there is. The future will be in the browser, so you better understand it. Javascript+jquery+css+html can basically do anything you want it to no matter what anyone says. Best of all, you can share it with the world with the copy + paste of a link.

When was younger, I started doing code in Liberty BASIC. I soon realized that it was useful for simpler tasks, but I also learned that BASIC Isn't really powerful enough to get the more advanced coding I started to make. Because of this, I want to learn a better language but I'm not sure which to start with. I'm thinking Java, C++, but I want one that will be able to do whatever I need it too. Recommendations? Thanks.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Java is in my opinion the best language to start with, because its not too complicated and it makes sence really fast

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Java is in my opinion the best language to start with, because its not too complicated and it makes sence really fast

Yeah, I messed with it a little but I asked here to see of anyone had a better recommendation. Anyway, Java does seem pretty nice.

Objective-C is a object oriented platform that is powerful and uses Xcode, but is for mac. Xcode is free and has a lot of frameworks you can use in your code. You should at least look it up and see what it does.

I think java is good, or maybe C#/.net. The things you wanna learn are basically all about object oriented stuff. If you are looking to turn this into a job then you are probably looking at being an Android developer. IOS is a littlebit stupid because it used Objective-C, though there are probably some ways to easily port an android app to IOS that I don't know of

first learn CSS and HTML. As in now!Then finish reading the rest of this post. After around 10 minutes, you should have mastered it, and be reading the next part of this text.

Great, now learn javascrip/jquery. Any language that can work in a browser, to me seems like the most useful language there is. The future will be in the browser, so you better understand it. Javascript+jquery+css+html can basically do anything you want it to no matter what anyone says. Best of all, you can share it with the world with the copy + paste of a link.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

1) I know you didn't say this but I don't think html counts as a programming language (lol)

2) Well most people seem to be saying Java so I'll just mark this as answered.

Please don't forget PHP. With html, css, jquery en javascript you can do everything visual, but if you have to work form a database you better use PHP too.

I don't have much experiance with JAVA, .NET or C# or whatever. but i know the "web-languages".

1) I know you didn't say this but I don't think html counts as a programming language (lol)

2) Well most people seem to be saying Java so I'll just mark this as answered.

Well this is incorrect, because if you want to do anything that demands a great deal of power and speed, you sure as hell won't be looking to a browser-dependant version. Will I use my browser to run all of my scientific calculations that require multiple processors, memory management and parallelism? Definitely not. Will I use my web browser to quickly prototype a simulation? Well no, because I'm restricted to horrible languages like PHP, redundant languages like javascript or a distribution of Python that runs natively on my computer and is accessible through the terminal.

I will use my web browser for browsing the web, however. Cool, glad that's sorted.

Please don't forget PHP. With html, css, jquery en javascript you can do everything visual, but if you have to work form a database you better use PHP too.

I don't have much experiance with JAVA, .NET or C# or whatever. but i know the "web-languages".

You could do everything in Javascript if you really wanted, but I would recommend Python as a good place to start that has application both on the web and on the desktop. Java is a great place to start though if you're looking to move into C++ some time; though C# seems to be gaining in popularity. I won't recommend it given that Microsoft tie it down an awful lot, but it may be worth a look.

Hi,

like people said, web languages are the easy way and the future, how ever if you want to do some serious coding (REAL applications that run on mobile/desktop, and not the browser), I'd go for C++ and Qt. Qt is an IDE and a bunch of classes (to create GUI and all kinds of functionality to your app), that uses C++. Apps made with it are compatible with linux, mac, windows, symbian and android. iOS is also supported, so once you write your app it is very easy to port it to other platforms in Qt. So really, depeding on what kind of coding you want to do, either go for C++ or web languages.

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland