PSU dead

SpriteNo5

Just turned on my PC saw spark from PSU and heard pop. Now PC won't turn on at all. All lights on mobo are on as they should be but nothing at all happens when I press power button.

PSU is Corsair RM650X mobo is Asus z170 pro gaming. I'm pretty sure it's just the PSU that has gone. Had a good look over the board and components and can't find any sign of damage. Couldn't smell any burning at any point.

Im hoping that as the mobo lights are all on and behaving as expected that my components have all survived, is this false hope?

I don't have another PSU or cable to try, is my best bet just to buy another PSU slot it in and take things from there?

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

4 minutes ago, SpriteNo5 said:

Just turned on my PC saw spark from PSU and heard pop. Now PC won't turn on at all. All lights on mobo are on as they should be but nothing at all happens when I press power button.

PSU is Corsair RM650X mobo is Asus z170 pro gaming. I'm pretty sure it's just the PSU that has gone. Had a good look over the board and components and can't find any sign of damage. Couldn't smell any burning at any point.

Im hoping that as the mobo lights are all on and behaving as expected that my components have all survived, is this false hope?

I don't have another PSU or cable to try, is my best bet just to buy another PSU slot it in and take things from there?

I would RMA it with Corsair... unless you absolutely cannot live without your PC for a week or two... or see if someone can loan you a PSU.

but do go ahead and unplug that sucker from the way, eh?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, SpriteNo5 said:

yup, consider yourself lucky if everything survived. 

Yeah that's probaly your best bet since without a PSu you can't tell if anything else is worki

ng

My life

Probably blew a mosfet or some component in the power supply that's used to produce all the high current voltages.

The leds still work because those are probably powered from 5v stand by which is a separate circuit inside the power supply, independent from the rest of the power supply.

The chipset on the motherboard is still powered, the leds are on, some usb ports may be powered, but the power supply will never report "all's good, i can output the other voltages when you want me to" to the PC (the POWER_GOOD wire in the 24pin connector) so the chipset will never send the command to start the power supply, no matter how many times you push the button.

That's probably 90% sure what happens.

Just now, knightslugger said:

I would RMA it with Corsair... unless you absolutely cannot live without your PC for a week or two... or see if someone can loan you a PSU.

keeping that psu would be a safety hazard. 

Just now, 123throwaway said:

keeping that psu would be a safety hazard. 

keeping it powered would be a safety hazard.... but the PSU should still be under warrenty so an RMA is the most economical choice to make.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

damn, I pluged 12v into a 5v usb and killed my whole PC. Rip Hope nothing died in your pc

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Agree, RMA that sucker... and more importantly don't try switching it on again, you might fry something. I had my test rig PSU go bang a few weeks back, luckily my components all survived.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

21 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Agree, RMA that sucker... and more importantly don't try switching it on again, you might fry something. I had my test rig PSU go bang a few weeks back, luckily my components all survived.

Got a new PSU, slotted it in, all seems good all components registered and working as they should. Will RMA the faulty one and keep the replacement for a spare. Running some tests but all seems ok, had a bit of luck :)

1 hour ago, SpriteNo5 said:

Got a new PSU, slotted it in, all seems good all components registered and working as they should. Will RMA the faulty one and keep the replacement for a spare. Running some tests but all seems ok, had a bit of luck :)

Good one, plan sounds good to me, always handy to have a spare... I need another spare myself now, lol. Which PSU did you get?

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

40 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Good one, plan sounds good to me, always handy to have a spare... I need another spare myself now, lol. Which PSU did you get?

I got an RM850x, when the RM650x went it was the 3rd Corsair PSU I had and the only one that failed, plus when it went it sounded like a gunshot, it powered down the whole second floor of my house. I had to reset the breaker, I forgot to unplug the supply before I did, when I reset the breaker it sparked and popped again. I really was expecting some component damage. 

So when all has survived im quite happy giving this series another chance.

8 hours ago, SpriteNo5 said:

I got an RM850x, when the RM650x went it was the 3rd Corsair PSU I had and the only one that failed, plus when it went it sounded like a gunshot, it powered down the whole second floor of my house. I had to reset the breaker, I forgot to unplug the supply before I did, when I reset the breaker it sparked and popped again. I really was expecting some component damage. 

So when all has survived im quite happy giving this series another chance.

Yeah, nice choice. Same thing with mine, scared the crap outta my dog :D

I'm going to get an EVGA g3, nothing too big as I'll only use it in my spare/test rig, that at the moment has my old z170 itx board and i7 6700k... which I might sell if I can get a half decent price for them. If not then I'll probably just build a mobile workstation/HTPC/NAS out of the parts instead.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini