Will I get windows 11 when it comes out if I have windows 10?

NSDUO
Go to solution Solved by jools,

win 10 has all the spyware it needs why bring out win 11

Will I get windows 11 for free when it comes out if I have windows 10? I'm trying to convince my parents to let use windows and my dad thinks that it's expensive to upgrade from one generation to another. I somewhat remember Microsoft saying they would give free upgrades in the future since windows is a 'service'. 

We don't know.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Nobody knows... For the foreseeable future M$ is just pulling an Apple and sticking to 10.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Probably 

http://www.geek.com/apps/windows-10-is-the-last-version-there-is-no-windows-11-1622504/

yea found the article no windows 11 windows 10 is just gonna get a ton of updates like macOS. My dad is an Apple fanboy and thinks a shitty Mac mini with an igpu is gonna be faster than a r5 1400 and a rx 580. 

Microsoft has repeatedly said that they treat Windows 10 as a service which means that most likely, Windows 10 will be around for a while and that updates will be free.

As of MS statment: There will not be windows 11, only updates to win10

Another thing: MS gives away windows for free even as of today (as far as i know, never tryed) all you need to do is say that you use something like "magnifying  glass", even if its not avalible anymore - you can crack it... thats what poor ppl like me do :D (Microsoft toolkit - trusted tool)

oh, i just remembered, you can buy windows online for like 20$, its cheaper, as far as i know

You never know they may skip it like they did windows 9 and make it Microsoft Windows 12 With Minecraft downloaded all ready sounds sweet but we will have to wait and you never now the might put it off for 6666 years lol.

Why would they switch to 11?

What else is there really to do in an operating system innovation that can't be done with windows updates at this point in time?

Just now, lawrencep93 said:

Why would they switch to 11?

What else is there really to do in an operating system innovation that can't be done with windows updates at this point in time?

New kernels.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

New kernels.

So if I am on windows 7, and I upgrade to windows 10 would I see a performance upgrade?

So if I am on windows 7, and I upgrade to windows 10 would I see a performance upgrade?

According to benchmarks yes, but that has nothing to do with my reply to you.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

According to benchmarks yes, but that has nothing to do with my reply to you.

So more so to support more hardware as well right?

I feel like hardware as slowed a little in favor of mobile tech which might be updated faster than desktop hardware/software as we have seen in the past, also of note most things are moving to the cloud so focus would be on server/mainframe hardware and software

20 minutes ago, lawrencep93 said:

So more so to support more hardware as well right?

I feel like hardware as slowed a little in favor of mobile tech which might be updated faster than desktop hardware/software as we have seen in the past, also of note most things are moving to the cloud so focus would be on server/mainframe hardware and software

Correct, newer kernels does mean better compatibility for newer hardware. A good example of this is 32bit vs 64bit architecture, you can't run a 64bit OS on a 32bit kernel so in the future if somebody creates a new (better) architecture and Microsoft wants to utilize it, Windows will need a new kernel to support it. I'm to dumb to even begin to fathom why Microsoft would move away from amd64, but this was just an example (who knows, maybe ARM will revolutionize the CPU market years from now and we'll be doing a clean install of Windows to support our 512 core ARM CPUs).

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Correct, newer kernels does mean better compatibility for newer hardware. A good example of this is 32bit vs 64bit architecture, you can't run a 64bit OS on a 32bit kernel so in the future if somebody creates a new (better) architecture and Microsoft wants to utilize it, Windows will need a new kernel to support it. I'm to dumb to even begin to fathom why Microsoft would move away from amd64, but this was just an example (who knows, maybe ARM will revolutionize the CPU market years from now and we'll be doing a clean install of Windows to support our 512 core ARM CPUs).

Yeah I don't see the CPU market doing much with Intel leading and AMD not really doing much other than forcing a price drop, I also don't see 64bit CPU's moving away anytime soon, so I personally think windows 10 will be hanging with us for a good 5-10 years

Yeah I don't see the CPU market doing much with Intel leading and AMD not really doing much other than forcing a price drop, I also don't see 64bit CPU's moving away anytime soon, so I personally think windows 10 will be hanging with us for a good 5-10 years

I agree, I'm just giving an example of why one would need to switch to a new kernel and why the likelihood of our current Windows 10 install being our last OS install ever is pretty low.

-KuJoe

Assuming there is a Windows 11. We don't know if there will be an upgrade offer of any kind to start with.

While it is safe to assume so, as Microsoft has been doing it since Windows 7, we can't predict the future. In fact, even if Microsoft CEO was ready to answer you, he could not give you an answer, as all this will depend on the market conditions and Microsoft financial situation of the time.

If it's anything like windows 10 the direction they took. I will stick with windows 10 and maybe poke around windows 11 to learn a bit. However it's most likely harder with a new OS,

I do think the upgrade they gave to move users from windows 7 too 10 worked to some extent but as forceful as some of the free upgrades were pushed many users still using Windows 7 for good reason.