Bye bye Razer Comms, the VOIP nobody uses...

Mr.Meerkat
6 hours ago, Daring said:

So, a black and green Skype?

Worse.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Worse.

Impressive.

To be fair, I didn't use it super heavily because I used Jabber(XMPP) and Jingle due to their open nature and wide variety of clients.

However, that being said, Razer comms in my experience was a much better option than pretty much anything else when it came out. Keep in mind this was before the age of Discord. Unlike Skype and Raptr it ran well via Wine on Linux systems, was fairly reliableish, didn't track state using IP meaning if you had a network that flipped IPs or you switched connections, it wouldn't drop the call, and had a system for adding contacts that didn't just straight up refuse to add people 1/4 of the time a la older versions of skype. 

It doesn't have much of a benefit in the modern day of widely available RTC libraries like the one Discord rides on, but for it's time it was a great step forward. A nice middle ground between the buggy AF late 2000s skype and the introduction of Discord in the late 2010s.

GG Razer, make better software next time. I used Comms back when I was a PC noob and even then I quickly figured out it was a piece of shit. I switched to Skype and Teamspeak almost immediately. The only Razer software I ever kept was Synapse, and that was only so I could set macros for Cookie Clicker (don't judge me alright I unironically like that game) and CS:GO.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Teamspeak is the best, because it is the first. been using it for 15 years

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

28 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Teamspeak is the best, because it is the first. been using it for 15 years

Razer comms isn't really on the same level as teasmspeak, the same way Skype isn't.

Room based chats such as teamspeak (and Discord) have their place, but they don't replace peer based chats such as Skype and Razer comms (and Discord).

Notice how Discord is on both those lists? I can only guess that's a big part of why it's been so successful. I don't really understand why everyone's tripping over themselves to use it, since Jingle has worked for the exact same thing for years and years now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Discord ran atop an XMPP and Jingle based backend.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Razer comms isn't really on the same level as teasmspeak, the same way Skype isn't.

Room based chats such as teamspeak (and Discord) have their place, but they don't replace peer based chats such as Skype and Razer comms (and Discord).

Notice how Discord is on both those lists? I can only guess that's a big part of why it's been so successful. I don't really understand why everyone's tripping over themselves to use it, since Jingle has worked for the exact same thing for years and years now. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Discord ran atop an XMPP and Jingle based backend.

I never heard of Jingle. ya I know that having a peer to peer option is nice. the new twitch app aka curse voice is like discord were it has rooms and direct calls, but I like that it has link based calls so you don't need to be friends with a person to quickly setup a call for 1 game.

Me and my friends use Teamspeak, I use discord sometimes and twitch/curse was only for league games.

Teamspeak is also lately pushing newer features which is nice. (account for setting/bookmark syncing)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I never heard of Jingle.

Jingle is an XMPP extension for RTC/voice calls. And since that doesn't explain anything, XMPP is a free and open protocol for setting up rich messaging services. It's expandable and well supported, which is why a lot of "newer" chat services run atop it (newer as in like the past 10 years) even if they don't expose it raw to their users.

Just some insight, Google Talk, Hangouts, and Facebook messenger were all confirmed to at one point have run on XMPP. They may have changed since, but it's the origin of a lot of the rich text messengers we use today.

Jingle has been the same thing, just for voice rather than text. It's an open protocol for RTC (Real-time Communication) so anybody can take it and integrate it into their service to allow for easy voice connections. It's also highly compatible with WebRTC, allowing for easy integration with modern web browsers, which is why I'd be surprised if Discord isn't using it. Why reinvent the wheel when there's already a mature and well tested platform.

Only used razer comms a small amount but im sure it will be missed I had friends who use it. Personally I like the fact that I personally host my friend groups Teamspeak server allowing for file sharing and chat rooms. If teamspeak dealt with URL's like discord does (Shows web previews/gifs) Then I think TS would be perfect for me.

I used Razer Comms since I heard about them from the WAN show back when it moved out of that room with the couch.

Got my gamer family on it too so we can all chat together.

BUT I guess it was around this past November 2016 that there services went down for about a week or two of I recall. But because of that we all switched to curse. Once the service came back up we never bothered to go back. Especially since we were able to set our own servers up.

Been on Curse/Twich ever since.

R.I.P. Razer Comms

I never had problems with it when we tried it out for like a month when it was released. Not sure why it was hated, nothing wrong with it but there was nothing that stood out compared to the competition.