I have a stupid question....

cjeffcoatjr

What is cpu delidding? I see it all the time, but have no idea what it means. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Removing the CPU heat spreader from the CPU.

Quote me to get a reply!

taking the metal top off a CPU.

OK. I thought it was something along those lines, but I wasn't 100% sure. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It's delidding the cpu. When you take off the heat spreader from the actual cpu.

What they said.

It's basically removing the heatspreader from the CPU and replacing the thermal compound to increase thermal conductivity and therefore performance.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

"delidding is the process of taking the IHS off of their CPU. you can do it with any CPU that has an IHS. The reason most people delid their Ivy Bridge is because Intel cheaped out and didn't solder their IHS on the die, and instead used a very cheap TIM. What most users do is either put high performance TIM on, or they keep the IHS off completely. They way you go about doing it is by using a very thin razor very carefully to break the glue that keeps the TIM on.

Here is a guide" 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1309867/short-and-direct-delid-guide-ivy-bridge

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1379088/what-is-cpu-delidding-and-how-can-someone-delid-their-cpu

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Don't do it

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Taking off that silver top (known as a heatspreader) so you can put whatever cooling solution you have right onto the CPU die itself.  It is done because it can benefit cooling and if done right has no downside.  It is advised against because it is not easy to do right, can brick your CPU, and yields very little improvement.

Taking off that silver top (known as a heatspreader) so you can put whatever cooling solution you have right onto the CPU die itself.  It is done because it can benefit cooling and if done right has no downside.  It is advised against because it is not easy to do right, can brick your CPU, and yields very little improvement.

if you count cracking core die while trying to install a heatsink/ waterblock or scratching core die and killing your cpu as a advantage yeah it has no downside.

downsides: everything that is related to installing cpu cooling is way more annoying and stressful 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Deliding = removing the "lid" known as the metal heatspreader on top of the CPU.

Why? so that you can get better heat transfer and therefore lower temperatures, and potentially better overclocks as a result.

if you count cracking core die while trying to install a heatsink/ waterblock or scratching core die and killing your cpu as a advantage yeah it has no downside.

downsides: everything that is related to installing cpu cooling is way more annoying and stressful 

I said it has no downside if done RIGHT, please read the whole post, right after I followed by saying that it can ruin your CPU and is not easy to do right.