editing "issue" (overwrite vs pushing txt)

Dzzope

When trying to make any changes to the what I have typed, it overwrites rather than pushes the text..

I can't see any option to turn this off and it's hella annoying when making posts.

For example, in the title I missed the e of text.

If I simply clicked (or used arrows) to get the cursor between the first t and the x, it will always highlight at least 1 character.

From this it will replace that character with my next key press and continue from there, forcing me to re-type the whole sentence.

I'm sure others probably have the same issue and I'm very sure that you can see this being a UI/UX nightmare on a text based communication system.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

It's because you accidentally pushed "insert". Push it again and it should turn back to normal.

edit: i'm talking about the "insert" key on your keyboard btw :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You didn't press the 'Insert' key on your keyboard did you?

Does you mum know you're here?

Dear god that's annoying.. never seen that on any other forums.

Cheers guys.

I'm sure there is a function they could call to block that from happening (or notify folks that it's active if for some reason they actually want to keep the "functionality")

38 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Dear god that's annoying.. never seen that on any other forums.

Cheers guys.

I'm sure there is a function they could call to block that from happening (or notify folks that it's active if for some reason they actually want to keep the "functionality")

That's a feature of your operating system, and not something to do with the forum.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That's a feature of your operating system, and not something to do with the forum.

Does NOT happen on other forums, so there MUST be a function to disable it..

I just tested it on 3 other forums.

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

I can't reproduce it because my insert key doesn't seem to work at all (I run Linux, but it isn't registered as being pressed in a Windows VM either), but I suspect that either you hadn't pressed the insert key on those other sites (pressing it toggles between insert and overtype), or it only happens in rich text editors. There is no API exposed to the website to determine the status of the insert key, so there is nothing that we have done, or can do, about it.

HTTP/2 203

56 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

I just tested it on 3 other forums.

What you're describing is literally the function of the insert key. It's not something specific to this forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insert_key

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

What you're describing is literally the function of the insert key. It's not something specific to this forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insert_key

I just mean that there is bound to be a js function that they can call to disable it... If this is a "feature" of the rich text editor with no work-around.. Fair enough.. But having tested this on other forums I frequent, this is the only one which Insert makes any difference on.. Google docs, notepad, sticky note, nothing else actually behaves in this way (Literally JUST tested this) Insert has NO effect whatsoever for me so far.

1 hour ago, Dzzope said:

I just mean that there is bound to be a js function that they can call to disable it... If this is a "feature" of the rich text editor with no work-around.. Fair enough.. But having tested this on other forums I frequent, this is the only one which Insert makes any difference on.. Google docs, notepad, sticky note, nothing else actually behaves in this way (Literally JUST tested this) Insert has NO effect whatsoever for me so far.

This is a feature of Chrome (and of the browsers that I have tested, only chrome and presumably its derivatives), but only affects rich text editors, which is probably why you are unable to reproduce it on other sites. It is not something that is caused by, nor is it something that can be controlled by, this site.

Below is a plain rich text editor, as created by your browser. There is no javascript attached, so everything that happens in it is caused by your browser (and as such it probably won't actually work as a rich text editor, because the formatting is controlled by JS):

This is an editor

HTTP/2 203