Am I correct in saying that 'next-gen' consoles are about as next gen as a colour TV? Hmmmm

I think its funny how micrsofot and sony can claim the new consoles are next gen when there not next gen what so ever (maybe in the slightest form ;) )))

i myself own a 360 and consoles are great but the new ones are not next gen by any stretch of the imagination

that will be all.

I think its funny how micrsofot and sony can claim the new consoles are next gen when there not next gen what so ever (maybe in the slightest form ;) )))

i myself own a 360 and consoles are great but the new ones are not next gen by any stretch of the imagination

that will be all.

They are next gen, in the sense that they are the next generation of consoles. There's just nothing impressive technology or performance wise.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Actually, compared to the last gen consoles, they are miles ahead. The "new" X86 architecture for consoles means that they can finally be on par with PC's and the fact that they are both using 8gb of RAM is a massive improvement and makes the consoles again, more on par with PC's.

Well our "next gens" as a race are fucking retarded mouthbreathers, but they're still next gen…

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

They are "next generation" compared to the "previous generation" of console. If PS3 and Xbox 360 are considered seventh generation, then the PS4 and Xbox One are "the next gen" or eight generation of consoles.

Of course they don't seem next gen when we compare them to modern gaming PCs, but when people say "next gen" they are usually referring to console generations and not PCs.

Saying on-par with PC's is a bit much they are after all running a laptop APU. i doubt they are DX11 never mind 11.2.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Actually, compared to the last gen consoles, they are miles ahead. The "new" X86 architecture for consoles means that they can finally be on par with PC's and the fact that they are both using 8gb of RAM is a massive improvement and makes the consoles again, more on par with PC's.

dont forget the revolutionairy never seen before 28 nm production process

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

dont forget the revolutionairy never seen before 28 nm production process

At least Sony's doing something cool by using GDDR5 as the standard RAM.

Yes. These consoles are next gen, and they are a generation ahead of PCs right now.  The UMA with 8GB of joint CPU and GPU memory on each console, especially the GDDR5 memory is an advancement not yet in the PC world.  Even a low-mid range PC is much more powerful, but these consoles are next gen in technology, just not really the special in performance to what we have now.

WHY THE CAPS??

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

At least Sony's doing something cool by using GDDR5 as the standard RAM.

i do like that they use a generic 3.25 hdd

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Actually Sony uses a 2.5' drive. ^_^

still a generic size drive, not like somebody who we arent gonna call any names (points at microsoft) and demanded a rediculous amount of money for 120 gb drive

Theese consoles are this gen, the transition between last and next gen. With performance like 7870 and very low cpu performance, even with magic optimisations, they will fall behind in a year.

Calm-your-tits_o_857534.jpg

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I love how people have 0 idea of what generation means.

When you have kids, does you kids are significantly better than you (assuming average/normal situation), beside a potentially slightly stronger immune system? Of course not.

But they are the 'next generation' of your family.

That's is what 'next generation' means. Nothing more. Nothing else.

WiiU is 'next gen', much like PS4 and XBox One. It might be the weaker than the 2 others (tell me something new with Nintendo since it's beginnings, beside the GameCube, which was more powerful than the PS2, and was more hard core gaming focus with online play, LAN support, and hard core gamer focused games, which was a disaster.. WiiU is doing better than the GameCube), but none the less, it's next gen.

I love how people have 0 idea of what generation means.

When you have kids, does you kids are significantly better than you (assuming average/normal situation), beside a potentially slightly stronger immune system? Of course not.

But they are the 'next generation' of your family.

That's is what 'next generation' means. Nothing more. Nothing else.

WiiU is 'next gen', much like PS4 and XBox One. It might be the weaker than the 2 others (tell me something new with Nintendo since it's beginnings, beside the GameCube, which was more powerful than the PS2, and was more hard core gaming focus with online play, LAN support, and hard core gamer focused games, which was a disaster.. WiiU is doing better than the GameCube), but none the less, it's next gen.

I understand, but with a generation gap of 10 years we expected more than they are delivering. 1080P should be the minimum! and graphical fidelity should look much better compared to last gen than it does.

It's a different story when comparing organic lifeforms to hardware.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

they're not on par with PC's...

xbox are getting giddy over the fact it provides 720p at 30fps or whatever, its embarrasing 

I understand, but with a generation gap of 10 years we expected more than they are delivering. 1080P should be the minimum! and graphical fidelity should look much better compared to last gen than it does.

It's a different story when comparing organic lifeforms to hardware.

Here is what you don't get. The console has the power to run 1080p. Most WiiU games run at 1080p 60fps, but they are not graphically pleasing as the PS4 and XBox One.

If the dev wants, they can drop the visuals, closer to XBox 360/PS4 levels, and now get 1080p 60fps solid, no mater what. But people don't care about this. they care about visuals. Most XBox One and PS4 gamers wants "realistic graphics", or at least, that is what dev thinks, not unique art style... as this makes the game "feel likes it's for kids", and not "mature" and "hard core".

Also, another things to consider is that 6 years ago, both Microsoft and Sony lost MASSIVE amount of money on each console sold. This generation, not only they try to differentiate themselves and not play a price war, but also reduce significantly their losses.

they're not on par with PC's...

They are on par with a low end PC specs wise, and with optimizations they will be on par with a mid range PC (graphics wise).

The GPU in Note 3 is more powerful than the one in my current craptop.This makes me feel soo outdated.

On the other hand,next-gen consoles don't.

Why does no company get the consoles right? ;_;

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.