Upgrading my Gaming PC (CPU, MB, RAM)

Hi everyone, first topic here.

I'm in the process of upgrading my gaming pc, step by step. I already swapped PSU (now I have a BitFenix Whisper M 650W) and GPU (Zotac 1070 AMP Extreme), now it is time to change motherboard, cpu, and ram. I really do not know how to decide, but considering that my pc will be used mainly for gaming I think a i5 7600k for Intel or Ryzen 5 1600 for AMD. What do you think?

btw: my budget is around 400-500 euros (440 - 550 dollars)

Current CPU? If just gaming, than i5 is faster than Ryzen. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Fede134sama said:

Snip

What is the refresh rate of your monitor? AMD is a very compelling choice if you're not going for high fps gaming (144hz I mean). And if you are chasing those high framerates in intensive titles, then intel is the only way to go right now.

whats your current CPU? of those two get the 1600

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, rn8686 said:

Current CPU? If just gaming, than i5 is faster than Ryzen. 

Now I have a AMD A8-6800k. That's true but I was interested in having more wiggle room in case I wanted to try something new

Just now, Fede134sama said:

Now I have a AMD A8-6800k. That's true but I was interested in having more wiggle room in case I wanted to try something new

Unless you plan on doing rendering or streaming, Intel will be faster. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

the older AM3+/FM series amd cpus weren't very good but the current ryzen processors are quite decent. a ryzen 5 is on par with an intel i5 for gaming but the i7 beats any ryzen cpu in gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

That's the thing:

The PROs of getting an Intel CPU for me are: I already have a cooler that would fit the socket. It would be better for gaming (?). It is established tech so I don't need to worry so much. The CONs: it costs the same as a Ryzen 5 1600, that has 2 more cores. Considering that I need to buy the motherboard I really would be pissed if Intel ditched the current socket type, giving me no upgrading room in the future.

The pros and cons of ryzen are pretty much inverted: new technology, so more risky but more "future-proof", two more cores (and with a lucky overclock, the same performance as a 1600x, as far as I know) and nearly the same performance in game of the 7600k, but with more possibilities. And the need to buy a new cooler.

3 minutes ago, Fede134sama said:

And the need to buy a new cooler.

All Ryzen 5 cpus come with coolers(1600x is exception). So it should be good with stock cooler unless you plan to OC the included cooler should be able to OC the cpu by few mhz but with after market cooler it ocs better.

Just now, M.A.P said:

All Ryzen 5 cpus come with coolers(1600x is exception). So it should be good with stock cooler unless you plan to OC the included cooler should be able to OC the cpu by few mhz but with after market cooler it ocs better.

Yeah, I wanted to OC to try and save a few bucks instead of getting the 1600X, that's why I said that

Yeah, I wanted to OC to try and save a few bucks instead of getting the 1600X, that's why I said that

the 1600+mobo would likely be cheaper than the i5 7600k+mobo, and gaming performance is almost the same while ryzen's multitasking is much better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 minutes ago, Fede134sama said:

I already have a cooler that would fit the socket.

you can try looking the manufacturer's website and order an am4 mount for it. abit extra but worth it.

Can you guys give me an advice for the motherboard? One for Intel and one for AMD, just for getting an idea

32 minutes ago, Fede134sama said:

Then get one decent cooler.

30 minutes ago, Fede134sama said:

Can you guys give me an advice for the motherboard? One for Intel and one for AMD, just for getting an idea

just get the cheapest b350 board for AMD or Z270 board if you're getting a 7600k(i don't recommend it).

In the end I got the Ryzen 1600 with the ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard, and 16gb of ram (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15), hope I made the right choice