Moving to Linux?

I am thinking about using Linux as my main OS... preferably only OS. I have already used Ubuntu a bit, but that was some time ago when it was still version 7.10. I eventually got back to Windows, mainly due to gaming, but now that Steam runs natively on Linux I'm thinking I may possible migrate again.

My main usages are: general web browsing, gaming and video editing

I have questions though:

1. Are drivers now more available (printers and scanners wise)

2. Will Crossfire work - I have a pair of HD5750

3. Can you use OpenCL for video editing (maybe even through Wine)

Bonus question: What are your favorite (Steam) Linux games

P.S. Any distros you recommend

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

1. Probably , however linux will most likely always lack those ''exotic' drivers

2. Yes

3.Yes however not as optimized as on windows i believe

( It's nice to see people migrating to linux but if you are going to use alot of OpenCL just stick with Windows TBH.)

Interested in Business and Technology

Update

I'm now running Elementary OS in LiveCD mode and I have to say I like it. I managed to answer my question no.1 - both my printer and scanner work fine right out of the box :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Update

I'm now running Elementary OS in LiveCD mode and I have to say I like it. I managed to answer my question no.1 - both my printer and scanner work fine right out of the box :D

Elementary OS looks so awesome and beautiful. I'll have to give it a go when I get more USB's which will be around 14.04 LTS and SteamOS time.

Do your graphics work?

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

So happy you made the switch, personally I was running Ubuntu 13.4 and then 13.10 for a while but I just had to play CS:GO :(

Windows is such a massive downgrade from linux.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Elementary OS looks so awesome and beautiful. I'll have to give it a go when I get more USB's which will be around 14.04 LTS and SteamOS time.

Do your graphics work?

It ran without problems on my HD5750. I would need drivers to get Crossfire to work, but I was able to get it to run native 1080p straight away :)

osu! profile

So happy you made the switch, personally I was running Ubuntu 13.4 and then 13.10 for a while but I just had to play CS:GO :(

Windows is such a massive downgrade from linux.

It's not permanent yet. I still need to figure out some stuff (OpenCL and some games), so I'm only in LiveCD mode. That might change soon though :D

osu! profile

It's not permanent yet. I still need to figure out some stuff (OpenCL and some games), so I'm only in LiveCD mode. That might change soon though :D

if you like Ubuntu, maybe try out Linux mint. I use this instead. its based on Ubuntu. and is binary compatible with Ubuntu.