What Ryzen CPU for SLI 980 for 4k @ 60hz

So I'm about to upgrade my computer and I want to get a Ryzen but so far I'm torn on a R5 1600 or R7 1700 build. Either will be overclocked to 4ghz or as high as it will go and paired with 3200mhz Flare X on a Crosshair VI.

I almost only game but I'm interested in a Ryzen build. I'm not an AMD fanboy, my last 3 systems have been Intel. The last of which is my current 4670k but I feel it's time for an upgrade and I want something different.

I already have a 980 and I found a cheap secondhand card. I see no point in upgrading them anytime soon as they are great GPUs and I want a CPU that will compliment them. I know games become more GPU bound at higher resolution so the Ryzen and 980s should be fine for a few more generations.

Games played are things like Fallout 4, Battlefield, Doom, Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, MGS V, Metro and Bioshock remakes. I have a good 1080p screen for games like Overwatch, LoL, CS-GO and other games not great for 4k.

Will the 1600 be enough or just go for the 1700?  Both are in my price range but I want it to last as I normally upgrade every 3 or 4 years.

3 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

So I'm about to upgrade my computer and I want to get a Ryzen but so far I'm torn on a R5 1600 or R7 1700 build. Either will be overclocked to 4ghz or as high as it will go and paired with 3200mhz Flare X on a Crosshair VI.

I almost only game but I'm interested in a Ryzen build. I'm not an AMD fanboy, my last 3 systems have been Intel. The last of which is my current 4670k but I feel it's time for an upgrade and I want something different.

I already have a 980 and I found a cheap secondhand card. I see no point in upgrading them anytime soon as they are great GPUs and I want a CPU that will compliment them. I know games become more GPU bound at higher resolution so the Ryzen and 980s should be fine for a few more generations.

Games played are things like Fallout 4, Battlefield, Doom, Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, MGS V, Metro and Bioshock remakes. I have a good 1080p screen for games like Overwatch, LoL, CS-GO and other games not great for 4k.

Will the 1600 be enough or just go for the 1700?  Both are in my price range but I want it to last as I normally upgrade every 3 or 4 years.

R7 1700

Edit: watch out for the Crosshair board, you need a PSU that supports two CPU power connections

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

I would go with 1700 for your build. You can never have too many cores :P

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

R7 1700

Edit: watch out for the Crosshair board, you need a PSU that supports two CPU power connections

Yeah I was leaning towards the 1700 but a few people have said to me the 1600 would be fine for what I need but I don't want buy it without asking peoples opinions on the matter

Also aware of this but thank you very much for the warning, I'll be using a HX1000i so it operates silently until the system sees over 400w power consumption and it has all the connections I could ever need.

9 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I would go with 1700 for your build. You can never have too many cores :P

Thanks, more cores does sound better 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

@Cyndre1033 Most PSUs have this? Mine did and I didn't change it. Also the 2nd connector is for overclock stability if you run stock its not required

I plan to overclock so the header will most likely be needed and the PSU has 2x 8pin connectors. If I hit the lotto and get a chip that can hit 4.1 or 4.2ghz I sure as hell will run it at that but I'm a realist and the chances a 1700 getting over 4ghz are super slim and my luck in the silicone lottery so far has been dismal for GPU and CPUs.

7 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

I plan to overclock so the header will most likely be needed and the PSU has 2x 8pin connectors. If I hit the lotto and get a chip that can hit 4.1 or 4.2ghz I sure as hell will run it at that but I'm a realist and the chances a 1700 getting over 4ghz are super slim and my luck in the silicone lottery so far has been dismal for GPU and CPUs.

There is a hard voltage wall around 4GHz. I can comfortably do 4GHz on my 1700 but 4.1 no chance. It is true to an extent for even 1800Xs 23% can reach 4.1GHz this is why I discourage people from buying an X model when you can just overclock it yourself as the X is essentially a factory overclock. $200 price increase for a 23% chance of 100MHz is crazy bad value imo. So am I happy with my 4GHz 1700 on my crosshair mobo? Yes I am, very :) Also let me run at 2933Mhz on the RAM right away, which is still hit and miss for other boards.

The thing is that you could always upgrade the cpu later as they are keeping the same socket. I would go for the 1600 for just games. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

36 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

Well I'm running 980tis in sli at 1440p 144hz

and it's easily on par with my 4790k at 4.8

so f gaming Is your main focus then the 1600 is a frekin beast

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

34 minutes ago, Cyndre1033 said:

R7 1700

No you don't the second one is optional 

also (1600) 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

There is a hard voltage wall around 4GHz. I can comfortably do 4GHz on my 1700 but 4.1 no chance. It is true to an extent for even 1800Xs 23% can reach 4.1GHz this is why I discourage people from buying an X model when you can just overclock it yourself as the X is essentially a factory overclock. $200 price increase for a 23% chance of 100MHz is crazy bad value imo. So am I happy with my 4GHz 1700 on my crosshair mobo? Yes I am, very :) Also let me run at 2933Mhz on the RAM right away, which is still hit and miss for other boards.

Yeah like I said not worried even if I get 3.9 it will still be a great chip compared to a 4670k that also maxes out at 4ghz. Yeah the price difference as well as the fan profile for what ever those X series have with the 20c offset have been major turn offs. I'm excited to build a Ryzen system.

1 minute ago, bpw87 said:

Yeah like I said not worried even if I get 3.9 it will still be a great chip compared to a 4670k that also maxes out at 4ghz. Yeah the price difference as well as the fan profile for what ever those X series have with the 20c offset have been major turn offs. I'm excited to build a Ryzen system.

Great :) I get excited by system building in general :P Benefit of getting the crosshair you can follow the guide in my sig exactly ;) 

7 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

The thing is that you could always upgrade the cpu later as they are keeping the same socket. I would go for the 1600 for just games. 

That is true but the likeliness I will buy another CPU in the next 3 to 4 years is slim and the 8 core seems to have a better chance of lasting that long. $100 odd dollars now isn't that big of a increase in my budget and it could be handy in the future if I change plans. I will keep looking a reviews and benchmarks and won't rule the 1600 out.

10 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Well I'm running 980tis in sli at 1440p 144hz

and it's easily on par with my 4790k at 4.8

so f gaming Is your main focus then the 1600 is a frekin beast

That is pretty impressive and I'll be over the moon if I can get fairly stable 60fps at 4k with the build. I have been looking at upgrading to a 1440p 144hz G sync screen for FPS and MOBAs when they come down a bit in price.

1 minute ago, bpw87 said:

That is true but the likeliness I will buy another CPU in the next 3 to 4 years is slim and the 8 core seems to have a better chance of lasting that long. $100 odd dollars now isn't that big of a increase in my budget and it could be handy in the future if I change plans. I will keep looking a reviews and benchmarks and won't rule the 1600 out.

That is pretty impressive and I'll be over the moon if I can get fairly stable 60fps at 4k with the build. I have been looking at upgrading to a 1440p 144hz G sync screen for FPS and MOBAs when they come down a bit in price.

It will piss 60 fps 4K even a fx chipwould do 60fps 4K 

i have mine at 4 Ghz and 2933 on the memory and it's like 5 percent behind the 7700k in gaming 

it's a monster of a CPU 

also (1600) 

16 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Great :) I get excited by system building in general :P Benefit of getting the crosshair you can follow the guide in my sig exactly ;) 

I did open and that and will have a good read. Thanks

7 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

It will piss 60 fps 4K even a fx chipwould do 60fps 4K 

i have mine at 4 Ghz and 2933 on the memory and it's like 5 percent behind the 7700k in gaming 

it's a monster of a CPU 

That's what I want to hear. Ryzen seems like a awesome chip all round 

The R7 1700 probably is the best pick, 1800x if you have the $ for it though unnecessary.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

The R7 1700 probably is the best pick, 1800x if you have the $ for it though unnecessary.

1700 seems like the pick of the R7 line up to me as I plan to overclock so there will be little to no mhz gains from the X and the temp offset would bug me as the fan profiles would ramp up unnecessarily when there is only light load on the CPU. 1700 has good value for the same or nearly the same performance if you OC it

20 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

1700 seems like the pick of the R7 line up to me as I plan to overclock so there will be little to no mhz gains from the X and the temp offset would bug me as the fan profiles would ramp up unnecessarily when there is only light load on the CPU. 1700 has good value for the same or nearly the same performance if you OC it

The 1700 will perform the same in games so it's up to you if u want the cores or a 1600 with a better board or gskill ram or just keep the money to buy games :)

i was going to get the 1700 too I'm glad I got the better board but it depends on your budget 

also (1600) 

For 60Hz pretty much any of them.

1 hour ago, bpw87 said:

I almost only game but I'm interested in a Ryzen

If you almost only game, go with the 1600 (even a quad-core if on a budget, but the six-core are probably the sweet spot otherwise). Going 8-core will make you pay more money for no real benefit in only gaming (not one that justifies a $100+ difference anyway).

12 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

The 1700 will perform the same in games so it's up to you if u want the cores or a 1600 with a better board or gskill ram or just keep the money to buy games :)

i was going to get the 1700 too I'm glad I got the better board but it depends on your budget 

I have already budgeted about $2000aud for the tower minus GPUs and SSDs as I already have them, I don't want to go to crazy top end but I want to build something nice and looks as good as it goes. Last thing I need is more games haha I already have 170 odd in my Steam and Origin.

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

For 60Hz pretty much any of them.

If you almost only game, go with the 1600 (even a quad-core if on a budget, but the six-core are probably the sweet spot otherwise). Going 8-core will make you pay more money for no real benefit in only gaming (not one that justifies a $100+ difference anyway).

Yeah I just plan to keep it for a few years so I'd rather go overkill, I'm still under budget with the 1700 from what I wanted to spend. Like I said above I'm not going to run out any buy a 1700 tomorrow it's probably a week or two pays off having enough for everything and I'm going to keep looking at more reviews and follow AMD updates on any gains. I also want to upgrade my 1080p screen for shooters to a 1440p 144hz once they come down in price but for now I'm loving the 4k and happy playing RPGs and non multiplayer games.

6 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

I have already budgeted about $2000aud for the tower minus GPUs and SSDs as I already have them, I don't want to go to crazy top end but I want to build something nice and looks as good as it goes. Last thing I need is more games haha I already have 170 odd in my Steam and Origin.

Yeah I just plan to keep it for a few years so I'd rather go overkill, I'm still under budget with the 1700 from what I wanted to spend. Like I said above I'm not going to run out any buy a 1700 tomorrow it's probably a week or two pays off having enough for everything and I'm going to keep looking at more reviews and follow AMD updates on any gains. I also want to upgrade my 1080p screen for shooters to a 1440p 144hz once they come down in price but for now I'm loving the 4k and happy playing RPGs and non multiplayer games.

As far as shooters go I get locked 300 fps in overwatch :)

also (1600) 

5 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

As far as shooters go I get locked 300 fps in overwatch :)

Yeah shooters I'm not worried at all about, it's the GTA V, Metro LL, Fallout 4 with 30 odd mods and stuff that will actually stress the GPUs a bit more but that's mostly GPU related

5 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

No Yeah shooters I'm not worried at all about, it's the GTA V, Metro LL, Fallout 4 with 30 odd mods and stuff that will actually stress the GPUs a bit more but that's mostly GPU related

GTA v I hover around the 110 mark with ultra settings 

my 4790k hovered around 80 

this is actual gameplay not benchmark 

mark so it's just a beast in everything

Game devs are using more than 4 threads becaus when I built my 4790k system everyone was saying how much of a wasted it was over the i5 lol 

boy were they wrong 

and now games are using more and more threads it's just a fact :) 

sorry dint mo where this rant came from 

also (1600) 

20 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

GTA v I hover around the 110 mark with ultra settings 

my 4790k hovered around 80 

this is actual gameplay not benchmark 

mark so it's just a beast in everything

Game devs are using more than 4 threads becaus when I built my 4790k system everyone was saying how much of a wasted it was over the i5 lol 

boy were they wrong 

and now games are using more and more threads it's just a fact :) 

Yeah definitely can't complain with those numbers. I'll have a look some more at the 1600 reviews and do some numbers. 

So far this is what I'm looking at. I really want the Flare X ram but with this case I have compatibility issue hitting the H100i with anything other than low profile ram. I am going to make sure this is the go and there isn't a work around to get the Flare X in there while still having the AIO up the top. Half the reason I went the ROG board is it has the CPU and ram in a lower spot than 95% of the other board out there and it's going to give me the most chance of fitting them in there.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7fZrf8

3 minutes ago, bpw87 said:

Yeah definitely can't complain with those numbers. I'll have a look some more at the 1600 reviews and do some numbers. 

So far this is what I'm looking at. I really want the Flare X ram but with this case I have compatibility issue hitting the H100i with anything other than low profile ram. I am going to make sure this is the go and there isn't a work around to get the Flare X in there while still having the AIO up the top. Half the reason I went the ROG board is it has the CPU and ram in a lower spot than 95% of the other board out there and it's going to give me the most chance of fitting them in there.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7fZrf8

U can't get windows ten ket for about 30 on kinguin :) 

also (1600)