Looking to expand Wifi at business.

MajSpork
Go to solution Solved by ProjectBox153,

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Access/dp/B01LLAK1UG/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493050307&sr=1-6&keywords=wireless+access+point

This one looks decent. It supports POE if you have the equipment for it, otherwise it is able to powered separately. 

I work for a bookstore and we recently acquired a new space below and behind the store that we will be using for the online and shipping section of the business. Our current router has decent coverage of the store but it gets spotty in the back and is near non-existent in the new space, We will likely have 2-4 computers in the new space as well as a couple cell phones on and off and I've been asked to figure out a solution.  Based on some googling and research it seems like my best bet will be to buy a 2nd router and connected it to the original via Ethernet and then set it up as a repeater, this will also give the option to hook up computers directly via Ethernet if need be. The router we have currently is a Netgear N600 Wireless Router - Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700). We will need to run the cable approximately 180 feet so I'm going to buy a 200ft Ethernet cable. The router I was looking at as a 2nd that could either replace the old one as the base router or be the Repeater was the NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400). So my questions are. With the planned routers will I be able to make the system work? Is there a better option than the one I'm planning? Is it difficult to set up a second router as a repeater, I've done some research and it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks in advance and let me know if I've left anything out.

Try to get something like an access point. You would run ethernet from the main router to it, and it would broadcast a wireless signal. Or just use another router, but that can cause conflicts sometimes. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Try to get something like an access point. You would run ethernet from the main router to it, and it would broadcast a wireless signal. Or just use another router, but that can cause conflicts sometimes. 

Do you have any examples of access points? I'm new to networking.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Access/dp/B01LLAK1UG/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493050307&sr=1-6&keywords=wireless+access+point

This one looks decent. It supports POE if you have the equipment for it, otherwise it is able to powered separately. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

So for this I'd just run the Ethernet cable from the router to this?

5 minutes ago, Superspeed07 said:

meraki access points are your friend.

The Meraki access points look nice but my boss is looking to spend a bit less on the solution. $550 is a bit much.

2 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

So for this I'd just run the Ethernet cable from the router to this?

And power from the wall to the AP, unless you are using POE (I'd assume not). 

21 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

it seems like my best bet will be to buy a 2nd router and connected it to the original via Ethernet and then set it up as a repeater

This would be less than desirable because it would create two separate networks inside the building. This would ruin any internal network communication between the 2nd router and the internal network. You're better off either running a POE wireless AP which would give you an access point and keep you on the same internal network or run a physical cable and a switch back there and run everything off copper cable. (with the exception of wireless only devices)

You can use Ubiquiti Unifi AP's to create multiple SSID's [work & guests] very easily and the free controller software to mange them all.  I currently use them for a Hotel with 30 rooms as well as supporting 2 restaurants.  If you are going to use two different wireless antennas (routers) your SSID's will be separate even if you create the same SSID name on both.  Running 2 different routers/antennas can create issues where a device may stay attached to the SSID that is further away and give you a bad connection.  Unifi spreads the same SSID over all the devices and so your signal can be handed off to the closest AP. 

here is the model number you can look up at amazon : UAP-AC-PRO-US

Linus did a video of installing these at his neighbors house while dressed as a Canadian pimp and a further vid of his new studio..

"Cheapness is not a skill"