Help me solve my lazy request

Foontas

I'm happy with my audio solution.

I have a Sony HiFi constantly connected to my PC only ever outputting PC audio.

But I hate having to turn on and off the HiFi..... I know, right? :D (it's under the table)

Is there an audio solution that will turn on and off with my PC?

I don't mind keeping the Sony speakers and I have thought about opening the HiFi up and connecting the power switch either to somewhere more convenient or to the PC itself.

I am also open to alternatives and interesting solutions. (I thought about dismantling the HiFi down to it's Aux input only components and powering it with the PC PSU but I'm no experienced electrician)

Thanks for reading!

Do you like soldering and electronics? Because you could take a power line such as a spare molex, feed it into a relay and use that to switch your gear.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You could buy a power strip with remote on/off switch (using wireless, or bluetooth or infrared).

Here's an example of a cheap product (didn't test it personally, don't know how well it works) : https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-WRC101-Wireless-Control-Automation/dp/B000HAVVKG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493037545

Lots of others like this, just search for the right words .. here's another one : https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/

This will cut the mains power from the product, or give it power ... it's like plugging the audio system in the mains socket. If the thing goes in stand-by and you have to bend down to push the button again then a solution like this won't help you.

If the audio system has a stand-by button then you'd probably have to hack your audio system some way .. for example opening it up and soldering two wires to where the button usually is .. most buttons simply connect two wires together temporarily or disconnect two wires.

So you could solder two wires on the tiny board that holds that button, then bring the wires all the way to your desk and make a sort of wired remote control by soldering the ends of the wires to another button

Ah yes, I like both of your ideas and yes, the HiFi's power button is a standby.

Hacking a molex cable into a relay sounds like a good plan, just need to test that standby button.

The problem with cutting power off completely is that when the HiFi powers on again it doesn't default into the Aux but instead the untuned FM radio.....

I'm not opposed to purchasing new audio gear if it gets me what i want :P

58 minutes ago, Foontas said:

Ah yes, I like both of your ideas and yes, the HiFi's power button is a standby.

Hacking a molex cable into a relay sounds like a good plan, just need to test that standby button.

The problem with cutting power off completely is that when the HiFi powers on again it doesn't default into the Aux but instead the untuned FM radio.....

I'm not opposed to purchasing new audio gear if it gets me what i want :P

Quite a few speakers have a system that when they haven't received audio for a certain amount of time they turn off until they get audio. I know most the KRK speakers do it.