Ideas to put computes to use

mkessler9

Hello. I just picked up some more used computers and don't know what to do with all of them. One I'm using as a file server and not sure what to do with the others. I don't want to do bitcoin mining(at least not yet) as it is to much work for right now. And no I will not give these away. Or destroy them or anything. I just want some ideas on want I can use them for. Got a idea? Please share :D Thanks. Edit: Folding is a idea but will put it on some of them later

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Hello. I just picked up some more used computers and don't know what to do with all of them. One I'm using as a file server and not sure what to do with the others. I don't want to do bitcoin mining(at least not yet) as it is to much work for right now. And no I will not give these away. Or destroy them or anything. I just want some ideas on want I can use them for. Got a idea? Please share :D Thanks.

folding ?

folding ?

Maybe at some point but I need to buy some more Ethernet cables in order to put all the computers to use.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

fold boinc bitcoin etc.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

PF sense box (computer turned into a router)

NAS

HTPC

VOIP server

Minecraft server

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

PF sense box (computer turned into a router)

NAS

HTPC

VOIP server

Minecraft server

Thanks. What's a voip server?

Thanks. What's a voip server?

Stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, online voice chat like teamspeak.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, online voice chat like teamspeak.

Oh. Ok. Cool. Thanks. Also do you know if you have to have 2 ethernet ports for a pfsense server?

I have the exact same situation. i have 2 old pcs that were given to me and idk what to really do with them.

Motherboard- P8Z77V-LK CPU- i5 3570K @4.3 RAM- 8gb of Corsair Vengence GPU- MSI 660ti Power Edition PSU- CX750M SSD- Samsung 840t HDD- 1tb of WD Black Case- Modded Bitfenix Shinobi Cooling- H80i and Bitfenix Spectre fans and Bitfenix LED fans

Oh. Ok. Cool. Thanks. Also do you know if you have to have 2 ethernet ports for a pfsense server?

Yes, one in from the modem and then one or more out ( you can get a NIC and use that). This might help:

Yes, one in from the modem and then one or more out ( you can get a NIC and use that). This might help:

Yea. That's what I thought. Well I can't use it as a pfsense box then because I don't have a extra nic and all the other pc's have onboard nics. Any other uses besides the ones you said?

Yea. That's what I thought. Well I can't use it as a pfsense box then because I don't have a extra nic and all the other pc's have onboard nics. Any other uses besides the ones you said?

Just get a used nic on ebay (really cheap)

You could always use one or more of them to learn Linux or BSD, or both. 

Or as said pfsense (grab a cheap NIC off ebay) 

Folding may or may not be an option depending on the age of the machine. If it is older than core 2, you will be spending a lot to run it (in power that is) with very few points gained. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Just get a used nic on ebay (really cheap)

I will. I think a 10/100 nic would be fine but if I get a gigabit nic I could use it for future file servers

Hello. I just picked up some more used computers and don't know what to do with all of them. One I'm using as a file server and not sure what to do with the others. I don't want to do bitcoin mining(at least not yet) as it is to much work for right now. And no I will not give these away. Or destroy them or anything. I just want some ideas on want I can use them for. Got a idea? Please share :D Thanks. Edit: Folding is a idea but will put it on some of them later

give one to mee plzz.... lol

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

give one to me plz... lol

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

I would see how much I could flog them for. Go to an old person and sell them it.

Compatible with Windows 95