Where Do You Guys Get All Your Media From?

TLDR

Hi,

I am looking to build up a media library and have a ton of music, a few movies and a few shows. 

I was wondering where you guys get all your Plex media from especially videos?

I'm looking for legal methods!!!

Tbh Plex stuff would mostly be pirated. That said, Bandcamp is a great option for legal, high-quality music, particularly from independent artists. They let you choose from basically any format you would ever want when you download. Lots of artists' and labels' Web sites also have similar systems. You're kind of screwed in terms of DRM-free video, though, as that's very uncommon. I believe you can download some indie movies from Vimeo DRM-free, but that's about it besides weird cases like Louis CK's self-published shows.

from various websites which i will not list on this site.

I have over 1500 movies all in 1080p and about 21 in 4K. and about 130 tv series all up to date to current episodes.

Do the hard work and it will pay off, but don't expect anyone to tell you where to get them on here.

1 minute ago, lieder1987 said:

Ripped my own DVDs / blurays and i buy a lot from iTunes.

Yeah, ripping is the main (mostly) legal way to get DRM-free movies and TV shows.

- I download music from youtube and spotify. 

- I watch documentaries mostly from BBC and sometimes on youtube

- Movies from "illegal" streams but I barely watch them

I do not have other media scoures.

20 hours ago, TLDR said:

--SNIP--

I was wondering where you guys get all your Plex media from especially videos?

--SNIP--

Nice try, MPAA. :P

Seriously though, most of my TV and movie media is ripped from my expansive DVD and BluRay collection. Music comes from our family CD collection, but more so now from Spotify because it's very convenient to pay $15 / month to let everyone stream music. Less work on my end.

In Canada, it's still legal to make recordings of anything broadcast over-the-air or on a cable subscription you pay for, as long as it's for personal use, such as watching later when you have the time, or cutting parts of it up for a documentary or parody. (aka Fair Use.) How I acquire said recordings is my business, but as long as I've legally been able to watch it via any form of broadcast that I pay for (or is free) then it doesn't matter. (Although the distributors would try to argue otherwise.)

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Please consult your local counsel in your area.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

30 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Nice try, MPAA. :P

Seriously though, most of my TV and movie media is ripped from my expansive DVD and BluRay collection. Music comes from our family CD collection, but more so now from Spotify because it's very convenient to pay $15 / month to let everyone stream music. Less work on my end.

In Canada, it's still legal to make recordings of anything broadcast over-the-air or on a cable subscription you pay for, as long as it's for personal use, such as watching later when you have the time, or cutting parts of it up for a documentary or parody. (aka Fair Use.) How I acquire said recordings is my business, but as long as I've legally been able to watch it via any form of broadcast that I pay for (or is free) then it doesn't matter. (Although the distributors would try to argue otherwise.)

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Please consult your local counsel in your area.

Thanks for your response. :)

I'm pretty sure in Australia it's still legal to keep recordings for personal use so I will do some research on that along with the fair use if it is then I'm off to a good start.

i pirate most everything honestly.

everything else gets ripped from redbox.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

ShowRSS

Great way to get TV shows day+1, good addition to a Netflix/Amazon subscription (because their shows are released on their platforms only). You can automate it with a Plex library pretty easily.

[Insert smart comment here]

2 sites that start with "you" and neither one of them ends with tube;)

Streaming only here.  Used to pirate movies bout that was before i got a job now i just use Netflix or rent movies from my isp wich is also my tv and phone providor