Screenagers RANT

hardtofindinthefuture
Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Aerospace huh. That's actually pretty cool. Where do you work?

i know somebody else on this forum who works in the same company, this will destroy my privacy. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i know somebody else on this forum who works in the same company, this will destroy my privacy. 

Ah ok. My bad.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's BS, efficiency is the reason our brain has shrunk. 

That's dangerous thinking. Who's to say that our brains won't shrink past the point of no return? Will we literally make technology so advanced that the answers will be predicted before we even ask the question?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i sadly only have masters in mechanical engineering graduated with only 4.0( so bad i know, i work so hard for it), currently working in an aerospace. 

Then start acting like it.  If you re-read my original statement you'd find that your comments and mine align except that you were 

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

If you have a college education, or, for that matter, are anywhere above 14 years old, then I will (figuratively) eat my hat

And you were not sarcastic. If you were, you certainly did not convey it well, as it seemed to me as you were being maybe just a little itty bitty teeny tiny bit condescending?

And ah, the old "Oh you're stupid, here's a meme to convey my lack of debate skills". I got the point perfectly well. I simply pointed out that you were being overly wordy, as though you were a 14 year old who had just learned what big words are, and on the highest of horses possible.

I have two Bachelors of science, one in Psychology and the other in Political science, with the former being why i am versed as i am on the topic i was commenting on. 

Also i was not actually saying i was the one being sarcastic as i was pointing out that your "sarcastic comment" failed to be humorous. 

sarcasm.png.9e3285effbbf5d80ea722805543949c7.png

It is rather ironic that you thought i was being condescending for using words like "non sequitur" and "propaganda", in a response to a person who claimed i was spreading" propaganda".  

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That's dangerous thinking. Who's to say that our brains won't shrink past the point of no return? Will we literally make technology so advanced that the answers will be predicted before we even ask the question?

that's the negative side of AI, google database already can predict so much.the last question is worth reading- http://multivax.com/last_question.html

Just now, Thunderpup said:

I have two Bachelors of science, one in Psychology and the other in Political science, with the former being why i am versed as i am on the topic i was commenting on. 

Also i was not actually saying i was the one being sarcastic as i was pointing out that your "sarcastic comment" failed to be humorous. 

sarcasm.png.9e3285effbbf5d80ea722805543949c7.png

It is rather ironic that you thought i was being condescending for using words like "non sequitur" and "propaganda", in a response to a person who claimed i was spreading" propaganda".  

I somehow doubt that, but i'll take your word for it

What is and is not humorous is simply opinion. For example, i'm sure someone out there thinks you're an absolute riot, and i'm the dullest person ever. And vice versa.

I fail to see how it is ironic that I said it seemed as though you were using large words in an attempt to seem smart.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I somehow doubt that, but i'll take your word for it

What is and is not humorous is simply opinion. For example, i'm sure someone out there thinks you're an absolute riot, and i'm the dullest person ever. And vice versa.

I fail to see how it is ironic that I said it seemed as though you were using large words in an attempt to seem smart.

I thought you were both being sarcastic while attempting to prove various, or more precisely, debate, why certain opinions were correct. If TP is 14, then he is extremely well versed in psychology and social sciences. Not that the age matters if the points are valid. I'd fathom a guess he is a bit older than that, and has no reason to fib about education regarding his chosen field of study in this type of forum.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Just now, crzyces said:

I thought you were both being sarcastic while attempting to prove various, or more precisely, debate, why certain opinions were correct. If TP is 14, then he is extremely well versed in psychology and social sciences. Not that the age matters if the points are valid. I'd fathom a guess he is a bit older than that, and has no reason to fib about education regarding his chosen field of study in this type of forum.

Sarcasm is the essence of humor imho.

And assuming he is, yes, relatively. He would be well informed. For a 14 year old. But that does not matter. Me referring to him as a 14 year old who picked up a dictionary was simply a joke, and wasn't meant to be part of the actual argument.

And you'd most likely be correct on his age. And you'd be surprised at what people will lie over. It's the internet.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Sarcasm is the essence of humor imho.

And assuming he is, yes, relatively. He would be well informed. For a 14 year old. But that does not matter. Me referring to him as a 14 year old who picked up a dictionary was simply a joke, and wasn't meant to be part of the actual argument.

And you'd most likely be correct on his age. And you'd be surprised at what people will lie over. It's the internet.

I gave a thumbs up on the 14, as I took it as humor, not an "F you", just as I was taking his posts. Serious with flare. Better than bullet points with drab.

Just now, crzyces said:

I gave a thumbs up on the 14, as I took it as humor, not an "F you", just as I was taking his posts. Serious with flare. Better than bullet points with drab.

Serious talk with a bit of humor mixed in is the best kind. But bullet points and drab can be good for presenting a point simply, and presenting it quickly

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

29 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I called it ironic because you did not apply the same standard to the person i was replying to.

16 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

The flip side of this is you'd be surprised what sort of stuff people are truthful about when they think their posts are private or among like minded company.   Either way a person's faith in humanity gets shaken. 

41 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

This is solid advice for any user of social media.  Why i don't let Anyone at work add me as a fb friend. 

Just now, Thunderpup said:

I called it ironic because you did not apply the same standard to the person i was replying to.

The flip side of this is you'd be surprised what sort of stuff people are truthful about when they think their posts are private or among like minded company.   Either way a person's faith in humanity gets shaken.

Because he was not overly wordy like you.

When anonymity is an option, humanity truly is a cesspool

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Because he was not overly wordy like you.

When anonymity is an option, humanity truly is a cesspool

We can agree to disagree on your first point,  but on your second you are 100% correct. 

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

We can agree to disagree on your first point,  but on your second you are 100% correct. 

this argument is stupid, you are are not going to get anything out of arguing. 

i offer these 2 high res baby sloth 

Spoiler

346C10D700000578-0-image-a-81_1463758781999.jpg.e90b87d4a34abca117b98c2d6f879d40.jpg

Spoiler

01_slothlove_leaves.thumb.jpg.135f22e0e5ec88951dbaf4371b6289ee.jpg

2 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Yes, we can. And anonymity brings out the best and worst in everyone. For instance, I believe it was a guy on 4chan who first brought Steffan Karl's pancreatic cancer to light, and started telling people to donate to his gofundme, but then again it was 4chan who decided it'd be a great idea to publicly humiliate a girl online over pizza

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i offer these 2 high res baby sloth 

Hide contents

346C10D700000578-0-image-a-81_1463758781999.jpg.e90b87d4a34abca117b98c2d6f879d40.jpg

Hide contents

01_slothlove_leaves.thumb.jpg.135f22e0e5ec88951dbaf4371b6289ee.jpg

Sloth/10 Not enough sloth. Best post on this site so far

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

23 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Yes, we can. And anonymity brings out the best and worst in everyone. For instance, I believe it was a guy on 4chan who first brought Steffan Karl's pancreatic cancer to light, and started telling people to donate to his gofundme, but then again it was 4chan who decided it'd be a great idea to publicly humiliate a girl online over pizza

Not familiar with either of those Reddit instances, but I've seen similar good and bad before on social media.   Though i don't see either now that I've deactivated my FB page

19 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Not familiar with either of those Reddit instances, but I've seen similar good and bad before on social media.   Though i don't see either now that I've deactivated my FB page

I only use Facebook for meme pages anymore. Even then it's shallow and vapid and I despise it.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

19 hours ago, crzyces said:

Huh? No reason to remember it? That's a joke right? I don't think we want a bunch of walking retarded people (I am using the word retarded by definition; a skill, ability, physical or mental capacity that is underdeveloped. Look, I recalled that on my own ;^)  who's main access to basic information is through a google search. Details on certain things may be useless in your normal life, but memory is still pretty important.

On a happy note, I'm of the opinion that video games help with memory, spacial recognition, pattern recognition, high twitch reflexes and deductive reasoning. When applied to other aspects of a balanced life, it can be beneficial to most people.

Never said memory is unimportant. I never said that there is no reason to remember, I think you are reading too much into my statement. I said people are losing their ability to use their memory because information is readily available. People aren't choosing to not remember, they just don't have to as often or as much and its having and it's likely having an effect.

I also think video games can and often are important for developing and exercising of higher cognitive functions

21 hours ago, Spork829 said:

2. Cyberbullying

Literally better in every way than actual bullying. There is no block button in real life. 

Remember, cyberbullying isn't as simple as you might think. It's not sending a Facebook message of "YOU SUCK LOL," it's bigger than that. Social media is dangerous in terms of how easy it is to spread rumors, use smear tactics and deface somebody's social life. If somebody makes fun of you IRL, it's whatever. If somebody leaks embarrassing photos of you to everybody in school.. you could be bullied by way more than just the one kid that shared it.

I used to be quite active here.

Let me tell you that as an adult, I don't remember the hundreds of hours that I played Sim City 3000 for but I do remember bike rides with my friends, going to the zoo, having my first kiss, going on walks in the countryside etc. All of which are unlikely to happen in front of the computer.

So get yourself some friends and go out, have fun. You'll look back on those years as amazing times of your life. Spend it inside and you'll be fucking miserable.

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Remember, cyberbullying isn't as simple as you might think. It's not sending a Facebook message of "YOU SUCK LOL," it's bigger than that. Social media is dangerous in terms of how easy it is to spread rumors, use smear tactics and deface somebody's social life. If somebody makes fun of you IRL, it's whatever. If somebody leaks embarrassing photos of you to everybody in school.. you could be bullied by way more than just the one kid that shared it.

If you have true friends, it's a non-issue. Thing is that kids aren't true friends; they're sheep, you need to be a lion.

4 hours ago, Kobathor said:

IMO you can spread embarrassing photos/rumors/whatever about someone with or without the internet just as easily. Maybe it'll take a couple days instead of a couple hours.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

4 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Here is the thing you and I have to remember, we both seem to have more of a 1990's-2005 view of bullying. Once I lost weight and grew, then actually got in "OK" shape. Not like now, but I played sports (I was always good, but shied away because I was so fat, and getting made fun of constantly sucked. Plus having no one to watch kinda blew too, or if someone was there they were fall down drunk.), got faster and stronger, so if someone did fart on my head in the middle of an assembly (That actually happened), I'd just turn around and hit them. It didn't matter who it was, if I got in trouble (I never did in high school, as we didn't tell on each other, a teacher would have to see it happen)., or if I had to fight again when there were no teachers around. Kids can't do that now. They hit someone back, they get in just as much trouble as the person who caused it (in my mind I believe someone farting on your head in front of hundreds of people deserves to be hit when you are a kid; same with someone who continuously harassing you online or in person. I don't mean name calling, but if someone abuses you so much you are thinking about hurting yourself, well, shoot, if you would rather hurt yourself than work up the nerve to hit them (hit, not stab/shoot/whack with a crowbar) then tell your parents and see a therapist because something is wrong.

I wish someone would have givin a shit enough to tell me to go see a councilor or psychiatrist when I was younger, because I was sad every day. I was afraid every day. At home, at school, everywhere I might see someone from school or my immediate family (besides my dad). I wish someone who didn't treat me like shit and call me names suggest I get in shape. Not "You fat fuck, have a brownie with some bleach to wash it down." If kids are too thin, eat more and pick up heavy things every day for a few months. If you are overweight, eat less, move more, and pick up heavy things for a few months. If you're a girl, I can't speak for everyone, but if you think you're too fat, well, maybe you are, so the same advice applies, but don't drop to the point where we can see your ribs, because at that point, it starts to become unattractive. Physically fit, cool (not Sareena Williams I can bench press you fit though, that's a bit much), but normal. A semi-flat stomach does not mean it indents beneath your hip bones. Most models don't look hot in person at the beach. Well maybe because of the sun (get it,hot, whatever, lame, anyway), so don't shoot for that. Seriously, you can keep every hobby you have, and if you get in shape, the bullying will drop dramatically.

As you get older, stupid rumors won't mean a damn thing unless they affect you at work or family relationships. They really don't mean anything now, unless you give someone the power to upset you. You choose how to react, and are the only person you can truly control. Another cool thing to do is to stick up for other people who are getting bullied. Take the brunt of it for them, make you look good in front of the lots of people who do have a conscience (you'd be surprised how many people who laughed at you all of a sudden look at the bully in disgust when they see the behavior pointed out, by of all people, a person who is normally bullied).

So some people get shit talked online, made fun of at school, and have embarrassing pics posted; the latter to me is the least worrisome, as it can be brushed off with a laugh and a "Oh man, that was wicked stupid" along with a sheepish grin and shake of the head. Heh, I still think you should be able to punch people in the face though, some people deserve it, especially when words CAN hurt more than any left hook I've ever taken.

Get in shape, stick up for someone else, don't be afraid of getting suspended for sticking up for yourself (No college ever brought it up with me, and I was suspended 5 times I believe. For all things, skipping school! Great solution. "He doesn't want to come to school so we will send him home for three days". Idiots. Lastly, if you are that sad, talk to a professional shrink if it gets that bad, and you've already gotten rid of Facebook, Twitter, Line, Instagram, whatever else they can f with you on besides face to face. If you can't deal alone, get help. Better than being miserable all the time. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work, and for an hour or two a week you didn't have to worry about anything. Hurting yourself just makes it worse, and usually hurts you and the people who really do give a shit, not the douchebags bullying you. Going on a shooting spree hurts everyone. You (I've never been in real jail; well intake at the Dartmouth House of Correction, but not population, and numerous overnight stints in a cell for being at parties and the police just locked as many people as they could catch up) go to jail for at best, a decade if no one dies, your family is crushed (You know, the ones who don't care, don't understand, but spend most of their money on you throughout your young life. Things like a place to live,clothes, computers, food, electricity etc; none of it is free, you guys are expensive, and worth every fricken penny +. I promise, they will blame themselves forever), the people you scar physically and emotionally, and their families, who have to figure out how their child could have possibly done something that may have helped lead to something like that. All over things that only matter because you let them.