Screenagers RANT

hardtofindinthefuture

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On 4/22/2017 at 2:40 AM, ArduinoBen said:

We are saving ink, trees, and time by writing shorthand.  Saving the environment and our lives.....

Cut trees can be replanted. It's a problem with a relatively easy solution.

On the other hand, the idea that anything with a charger is "environmentally friendly" is rather naïve...

10 hours ago, crzyces said:

I'll take posts about me any day over a dirty beating and being made fun of and laughed at by 25 people to my face, knowing the next day was going to be more of the same.

While you are right about that, the main problem with cyber-bulling is not "pure cyber" bulling (like trading insults in this forum), but the cyber-bulling that is entwined with physical bulling (one of the "headline" cases last year or so was about a girl committing suicide. She suffered "normal" bullying at school, and then the same people harassed her online. She moved to a different school -even different state I think-. but the original bullies used the internet to spread the bullying to her new school.)

I guess what I'm saying is that we don't really have two separate types of bullying, but rather additional tools for the same, single bullying. And that takes me to a discussion of technology more generally: technology (not just this technology, but any technology, from starting fires to the wheel and onwards) enhances our capabilities. We are the same apes, but we have augmented possibilities. If we were murderers with sticks and stones, we can remain murderers with massive bombs, but we kill more people. If we were assholes before, we will be assholes now, but we have additional channels to exercise our assholeness (?). 
And this is not a Luddite argument against technology. It's more of a "tech neutrality" argument: we do good and bad things on our own, and technology allows us to make more powerful good and bad things. The balance of good and bad stuff is still ours, can't blame it on the tools.

1 hour ago, EPENEX said:

I don't think that kids under 12 should be allowed on a computer device, it's just harmful for them. I also believe that smartphones should not be allowed in school, for peoples own good. It was sad to see my peers distracting themselves while I was the only one in the class paying attention.

I don't think children should be allowed to use a computer without monitoring. ei. I can punch up my son's tablet and see where he is (physically), what site he is on, has visited etc. The computer is a bit trickier. He may only be 7, but he needs it for school. Lots of his classes incorporate coding (Now just BASIC and Windows functions) and many of these assignments are given out through his school email address. Yep, they gave him an email address last year in Kindergarten. Now I'm usually helping, as BASIC was the language I started with anyway, and doing homework with him is just another project we can do the 3.5 days we have together.

As for regular browsing, 9 times out of 10 we are either playing games together, he is watching me play (He loves that. Says I'm more fun than Scampy? Now that's high praise indeed from your kid. As far as his own games, well obviously I check them out first. At 12? IDK, I know he's going to look at things he shouldn't, say things he shouldn't, probably sneak a few smokes with his friends and get sick, split a 6 pack with 3 of his friends and think he is smashed...Not something I encourage, but if he didn't do any of these things, I might be a little worried. No one is perfect.

Don't get me wrong, he'll have a VB or other discreet code embedded in his pc/tablet/laptop so I can see whatever he does. I'll just set all the viri/malware/cleanup programs to ignore it, so he doesn't notice. Yeah, keeping him off at 12 unless I am attached to his hip isn't cool.

Smartphones in school...I agree, until they have the skills down. ei there is no reason someone in advanced physics should be writing out basic algebra equations they learned at 10 and solving them on paper, step by step, to get to an end result 5 pages later. But an 8th grader should not be pulling up an equation tool to do an assignment. Learn it first, then it's all good.

People should leave their phones in the car for most social occasions UNLESS there is family or work that may have to get a hold of them. No reason to be checking Twitter at dinner, or texting people you play game ... with in the middle of your nephew's/niece's/son's/daughter's birthday party. That shit is just rude. The world does not explode if your internet is unused for 2-3 hours while you are awake. Heh, and if you can't resist, make a bathroom trip, don't try to sneak texts under the table, as everyone exchanges looks, and kinda shakes their heads, as it really is disrespectful.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

I believe withholding children from technology in general is a bad idea when the modern, "first world" society runs on it. Well, it's especially bad if the parents use technology all the time but it's some kind of forbidden fruit for the child.

Anyway, on another bit, a hilarious headline popped up on my news feed: Children who mod or cheat at games are in danger of becoming cyber criminals.

Welp. I guess I'm on the track of becoming the next LulzSec for installing that Half-Life mod or for inputting those Game Shark codes in my PS1.

40 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

we will be assholes now, but we have additional channels to exercise our assholeness (?). 

I don't want to think about assholes exercising... Just no...

Agreed on the rest. I think we're forgetting the fact that the internet follows people around. You can move to another state, but your Facebook is still there. It isn't like you deleted your e-accounts and made new ones just for the sake of moving.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

39 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

but the cyber-bulling that is entwined with physical bulling (one of the "headline" cases last year or so was about a girl committing suicide. She suffered "normal" bullying at school, and then the same people harassed her online. She moved to a different school -even different state I think-. but the original bullies used the internet to spread the bullying to her new school.)

Great way to teach a child to deal with bullying. Move. This goes back to my earlier post.

1. The assholes doing the bullying to begin with (and kids should be allowed to *swing back* so to speak, whether verbal or physical, without worrying about getting in just as much trouble as the person/people who did it first, especially if it turns physical. (Not run around stabbing people, but if someone pushes you, that's assault in real life, and if the little guy tosses a juice box up in the air and bashes the original bully who's watching the juice box sail up in the air, well good on the little guy, who should get detention, but not suspended with parent conferences and extra guidance counseling. Bullies really bully less when they get it thrown back at them. Even if the little guy gets beat up, the chances of that person persistently trying to hurt them, knowing that they are probably going to get hurt a little bit too drops the urge to bully dramatically.

2. The parenting. Take your kids seriously. It may seem like bullshit to you, but it isn't to them. Like a baby stubs his toe and cries, while a 13 year old does it and curses, then goes about his/her day (pain is relative too). Don't teach them to always walk away (or move to another fricken state), but encourage and listen. Don't one up them. I'd never tell my son "I fought almost every day from 1rst grade through freshman year, was called a fat f every day, oh, your mom was too drunk to pick you up from Little League again? Ted said he saw her **** when she stumbled out of the room trashed at your sleepover. How's dad doing? In jail or rehab? I forget what my mom told me. Was it jail? Nice K-mart sneakers (Like a cheaper version of Walmart 7-30 years ago). Are those holes new? Remember when we asked you to get the kickball when it went behind the dumpster and Steve was waiting and pissed on you? That was so funny. What fatty, something to say?" Kid's don't need to hear "My bullying was worse than yours", they need to hear "I get it", and be helped with dealing with it. Do not, do not, do not, one up them, because it insignifies their feelings. Letting them know you understand and care is what matters. The one up just invalidates them. They get that enough from peers, they don't need it from the people/person who cares and loves them the most.

3. The psych underlying issues that lead to drastic harm being inflicted on themselves or others, which is triggered (I hate the way that word is tossed around) and acted on irrationally.

A normal, hurt and beat up psyche does not snap and intentionally kill/try to kill themselves or others. They may think "No one cares, if I was dead they'd miss me", or "I swear I want to grab a *pick a weapon* and just go postal on everyone", which is also normal. The important part is, thinking that is normal, and kids need to know that. It doesn't make them nuts. It doesn't mean the people making fun of them are right in any way. Doing it is not normal, and it's our job as adults to stop it way before it gets to that point.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I believe withholding children from technology in general is a bad idea when the modern, "first world" society runs on it. Well, it's especially bad if the parents use technology all the time but it's some kind of forbidden fruit for the child.

Anyway, on another bit, a hilarious headline popped up on my news feed: Children who mod or cheat at games are in danger of becoming cyber criminals.

Welp. I guess I'm on the track of becoming the next LulzSec for installing that Half-Life mod or for inputting those Game Shark codes in my PS1.

Oh man, I added extra RAM to my C64 turning a $300 keyboard into a $425 one. And I used the all 7's cheat in Final Fantasy 7 once I stumbled on it. I cheated my first golden Chocobo,mod all my Bethesda games, wrote new heartbeat scripts for a bunch of old infinity engine Bioware games since some of the NPC's patterns were so boring, and often open up console commands in every game, especially if the camera is locked or travel is boring and slow).

I'm screwed too. Hey M.Yuri, maybe we can get jobs as paid consultants with the NSA?

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't want to think about assholes exercising... Just no...

Agreed on the rest. I think we're forgetting the fact that the internet follows people around. You can move to another state, but your Facebook is still there. It isn't like you deleted your e-accounts and made new ones just for the sake of moving.

Why wouldn't you delete them? If you are at the point where your family packs up and moves? You are at the delete accounts stage waaaaaay before that. The kill yourself or others stage? Yeah, delete the page, and put up a new one using a nickname. Unless people are really good, or you are really bad at hiding, they won't find you. Let's face it, the people with the skills to do it probably aren't bullies anyway, and the one's smart enough to figure it out but are bullies have better things to do, like lie about who they slept with.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:47 PM, v0nn_toaster said:

For one, How the fuck will playing GTA 5 turn me into a mass murderer isis rapist hitler tron5000

I feel ya on this one.  After Columbine it was learned that the two killers played a lot of Doom (original) and listened to heavy metal, namely groups like Marilyn Manson and Ramstein.  So instead of blaming their parents or other more logical sources; instead they blamed a video game and some musical groups.

When GTA vice city came out and it was discovered that you could have sex with hookers then beat the hooker up to get your money back; folks flipped their shit again.  This is a pattern that repeats itself endlessly with something new always taking the place of society's escape goat.

For kicks you should put in google "Moms against" and just see what google offers as a suggestion after that.

And how will using my phone lower my IQ?? 

These claims are so fucking retarded, i lost braincells watching it

and dumb people actually belive this

This is all false technology is only making our lives easier,

Hate to say it but this one is technically true.  As a society we have grown reliant on technology for things that we used to have to do the hard way. Our phones are essentially mobile computers and instead of committing things to memory, such as phone numbers/directions/addresses etc..., we rely on our phones to store all of that information.  This is very convenient but at the same time it takes its toll on our brain development as it gets less of a cognitive workout especially in the formative years.

Because of technology human brains have actually shrunk over time and are continuing to shrink.  This is due to humans no longer being subject to the dangers of the wild. Famine, wild animals, weather etc...  It isn't necessarily a bad thing mind you, but it is a thing that is on going.

16 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Because of technology human brains have actually shrunk over time and are continuing to shrink.  This is due to humans no longer being subject to the dangers of the wild. Famine, wild animals, weather etc...  It isn't necessarily a bad thing mind you, but it is a thing that is on going.

that's BS, efficiency is the reason our brain has shrunk. 

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

Great way to teach a child to deal with bullying. Move.

If that's your take out from my post, I suggest you read it again, but this time for real.

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's BS, efficiency is the reason our brain has shrunk. 

You are correct that the human body's obsession with efficiency is the reason, but that reason is made possible by the continued progression of technology.  Without the latter you wouldn't have the former. 

Just now, Thunderpup said:

You are correct that the human body's obsession with efficiency is the reason, but that reason is made possible by the continued progression of technology.  Without the latter you wouldn't have the former. 

we loose parts we don't use, tech is the greatest thing that can happen to mankind, propaganda won't help society evolve.

46 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

For kicks you should put in google "Moms against" and just see what google offers as a suggestion after that.

3 minutes in Google and 1 in Photoshop (hence the awful text)

momismadces.jpg

19 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

we loose parts we don't use, tech is the greatest thing that can happen to mankind, propaganda won't help society evolve.

It's funny, 
Both of your posts have affirmed my original statement; yet you appear convinced that you are instead countering my original statement.  

I also find it amusing that you used the word propaganda as if i were on some anti-technology kick; which isn't supported anywhere in my original comment to the OP. 

Lastly your comment "tech is the greatest thing that can happen to mankind" is a non sequitur.  As without mankind there would be no "tech" therefore "tech" cannot "happen to mankind".

Of course  for the purposes of this conversation i am omitting the primitive technology employed by other primate species. 

Just now, crzyces said:

3 minutes in Google and 1 in Photoshop (hence the awful text)

momismadces.jpg

The internet is fun sometimes!

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Lastly your comment "tech is the greatest thing that can happen to mankind" is a non sequitur.  As without mankind there would be no "tech" therefore "tech" cannot "happen to mankind".

you are the greatest 14-year-old philosopher that ever existed. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

#rekt

xgz9nkR.gif

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

13 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

It's funny, 
Both of your posts have affirmed my original statement; yet you appear convinced that you are instead countering my original statement.  

I also find it amusing that you used the word propaganda as if i were on some anti-technology kick; which isn't supported anywhere in my original comment to the OP. 

Of course  for the purposes of this conversation i am omitting the primitive technology employed by other primate species.

Oh how wise you are. You picked up a dictionary and learned phrases such as "non sequitur", and "primate". Please, tell us more about your great and amazing intellect, oh overlord

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

large.jpg

Damn it feel good 2 be gangsta

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

9 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

It's called a college education and i highly suggest you obtain one.  Given your obsession with "tech" i suggest something STEM related.  

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Oh how wise you are. You picked up a dictionary and learned phrases such as "non sequitur", and "propaganda". Please, tell us more about your great and amazing intellect, oh overlord

The whole point of sarcasm is to convey a message while also being humorous in some degree. Toward that end i offer the below image; which is simple enough so that even you can understand.

Image result for missed the point

4 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

It's called a college education and i highly suggest you obtain one.  Given your obsession with "tech" i suggest something STEM related.  

i sadly only have masters in mechanical engineering graduated with only 4.0( so bad i know, i work so hard for it), currently working in an aerospace. 

6 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

The whole point of sarcasm is to convey a message while also being humorous in some degree. Toward that end i offer the below image; which is simple enough so that even you can understand.

If you have a college education, or, for that matter, are anywhere above 14 years old, then I will (figuratively) eat my hat

And you were not sarcastic. If you were, you certainly did not convey it well, as it seemed to me as you were being maybe just a little itty bitty teeny tiny bit condescending? (that right there is sarcasm ;))

And ah, the old "Oh you're stupid, here's a meme to convey my lack of debate skills". I got the point perfectly well. I simply pointed out that you were being overly wordy, as though you were a 14 year old who had just learned what big words are, and on the highest of horses possible.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i sadly only have masters in mechanical engineering graduated with only 4.0( so bad i know, i work so hard for it), currently working in an aerospace. 

Aerospace huh. That's actually pretty cool. Where do you work?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540