Cleaning off thermal paste without alcohol

Got a new cpu cooler and I don't know what to clean the thermal paste with. Can't find isopropyl alcohol anywhere in my country, are there any other good ways to clean off thermal paste without damaging the cpu? Is 40% vodka okay?

Frankly you can just wipe it off with a paper towel by itself if you're able to.

Nail varnish remover, its the same thing.

wet the paper first than rub off the last of the paste, will evaporate, than use a clean paper towel after leaving it sit in the air for a minute or two.

hope that helps

1 minute ago, redirish said:

Nail varnish remover, its the same thing.

Nail polish remover is most commonly acetone which is functionally similar, but not the same. But as long as it's pure acetone, it's probably a decent choice for cleaning a CPU. It's often used to clean lab equipment.

Just now, typographie said:

Nail polish remover is most commonly acetone which is functionally similar, but not the same. But as long as it's pure acetone, it's probably a decent choice for cleaning a CPU. It's often used to clean lab equipment.

Alright found some Nail polish remover in my house, should i put just a bit on top of some toilet paper and clean it off? The ingredients are: acetone, aqua and panthenol.

Not toilet paper its breaks up when wet, don't want pieces of it remaining.

You can use a cotton cloth or a tee shirt etc.

Paper towel does not mush up so easily.

1 minute ago, redirish said:

Not toilet paper its breaks up when wet, don't want pieces of it remaining.

You can use a cotton cloth or a tee shirt etc.

Paper towel does not mush up so easily.

How about paper tissues? The same thing?

I use the blue shop paper towels. Solvent if it's a curing type paste.

tissues can mush up too.

Just saying that the paste may be very sticky, better to use cotton or kitchen paper towels.

48 minutes ago, Maxtadas said:

The ingredients are: acetone, aqua and panthenol.

While acetone is probably fine, the panthenol worries me a bit. It's used in consumer products as a moisturizer, and it may not evaporate completely off of your CPU. 

You can use water if you have to, just be very careful with it. Avoid getting it on anything but the heat spreader surface, and make sure it's completely evaporated before you put the cooler back on or run any electricity through it.

I might try with just the paper towels then, don't have anything else. And I'm quite scared of using water.

4 hours ago, Splodge1231 said:

Just watch that you don't scratch the surface

Should be fine even with minor scratches. The thermal paste will fill those in.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

3 hours ago, typographie said:

As long as you are careful to not get it on anything plastic or painted (as it's an organic solvent) then it's fine to use. Alcohol is still a better choice though.

IMO the best option is to grab a box of Kimwipes on Amazon (like $3-5 for 280 wipes) and use 90-95% Isopropyl alcohol. They're both dirt cheap, last forever, and can be used for a ton of other random things.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

I just used isopropyl alcohol on my CPU yesterday, just put it on a microfiber cloth and it gets it off fine.

4 hours ago, Maxtadas said:

Can't find isopropyl alcohol anywhere in my country, are there any other good ways to clean off thermal paste without damaging the cpu?

Wipe it off dry with a paper towel, Kleenex (tissue), coffee filter, or some disposable material like that. rubbing alcohol is merely to make the process easier and quicker as well as to help get really fine residue out (as well as leaving none behind since it will all evaporate). Its more of a recommendation, and its certainly not necessary. Just wipe off the CPU until the visible stuff is gone, then grab another paper towel and continue wiping (you will notice the paper towel, or whatever you're using, is still turning grey as you wipe). repeat this process until there is no more grey residue left on the paper tower when you wipe the CPU.

If nobody said it so far, you could use cleaning petrol too.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)