CPU War

Hey all,

Wounder if you could help settle a little debate between my mate and myself about our CPU's. We both have very simular pc's. My build is asus z97i plus MB Intel 4790k (4ghz), EVGA GTX 980, 16GB ram, Samsung Evo, WD Black 2TB HD. My mates build 10gb ram, asus gtx 980, samsung evo pro ssd with intel 980x CPU.

My mate is rufusing to compare any benchmark with mine but still says his PC is so much faster. But the way i see it is the 980x is bit old now, getting on 7 years even with 6 core. Am i right in thinking my CPU is better? Any links to sites proving this would be great as i shall send them to him lol

Cheers all

the 4790k is nearly 50% faster in single threaded operations, so even though its only a 4 core, it still comes out about ~30% faster when all is considered.

And comparing single core performance? Might as well compare your 4790k to an fx8350 in all honesty, iirc the 980x is only like 10-15% faster than an 8350 when all cores are fully utilized, and that thing gets totally blown away by the 4790k lol.

Intel may be barely making any change from generation to generation as it is now, but that little bit adds up after you know... 4-5 generations.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

the 4790k is nearly 50% faster in single threaded operations, so even though its only a 4 core, it still comes out about ~30% faster when all cores can be fully levied.

And comparing single core performance? Might as well compare your 4790k to an fx8350 in all honesty, iirc the 980x is only like 10-15% faster than an 8350 when all cores are fully utilized, and that thing gets totally blown away by the 4790k lol.

Thought as much cheers. Although i forgot to mention that he has overclocked it and his CPU is running 4.2ghz. But thats not goin to make much difference is it?

12 minutes ago, Pedro3755 said:

My mate is rufusing to compare any benchmark with mine but still says his PC is so much faster

Let me quote: " Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" :D

So true and this statement is written over 100 years ago (1850-1910)

4 minutes ago, Pedro3755 said:

Thought as much cheers. Although i forgot to mention that he has overclocked it and his CPU is running 4.2ghz. But thats not goin to make much difference is it?

4.2 is a respectable overclock from its 3.6 turbo, so it will make a pretty hefty difference. But it won't make up nearly enough for it to come out faster in single core, or up to 8 threads. 

When the entire cpu itself can be utilized, then you might see a pretty damn tight margin between the two, but you still likely come out just on top. Like I said early, intel may not do a lot in the short term, but in the long term they have made progress. Just not enough in my opinion :L

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

9 minutes ago, Pedro3755 said:

Actually, when we're talking overclocked, overall multithreaded potential of the 980X might be around the same as yours due to much lower IPC but having 2 cores / 4 threads more. You're winning on Singlethreaded performance quite a bit though (35-45% depending on clock speeds) so your CPU is just better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Actually, when we're talking overclocked, overall multithreaded potential of the 980X might be around the same as yours due to much lower IPC but having 2 cores / 4 threads more. You're winning on Singlethreaded performance quite a bit though (35-45% depending on clock speeds) so your CPU is just better.

Don't forget the power consumption of the 980X either-that would be far higher.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-X-980-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/m1822vs2384

980x might be 5% better at multithreaded workload when overclocked.

But in genral I would pick 4790k any day. Even if it has bad thermals ... still better that this old ancient x 980.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

This surprised me. Is the 980x that powerful after all these years still?

However, it is a close one.

In Cinebench R10 tests I found these results:

980x:

• Stock: 25881
  • 4.4Ghz: 35004

• Stock 33033
  • Couldn't find anything overclocked.

Sorry for the lack of benchmarks, but it's hard to find apples to apples comparisons. Here are a few from Anandtech:

Capture.PNG.e727257c3e9a56c6f757946444ecab7a.PNG

But please bear in mind that his processor has a ~26% overclock on it. So you need to att something like 20% (maybe more) to the 980X scores.

So his CPU will be:

Way behind in single threaded Cinebench.

Come out slightly ahead (might as well call it a draw) in multithreaded Cinebench.

Be slightly behind in the first pass of x264.

Be slightly ahead in the second pass of x264.

Be way ahead in the 7-zip benchmark.

Personally I'd say yours is better, because programs which actually scales this well with more than 4 cores are rare, but in those programs your processor and his are fairly even. Your processor also runs cooler, uses way less power and has some extra features like QuickSync and support for things like AVX.

But on the other hand, his has way more PCIe lanes (he probably don't use).

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

-snip

But on the other hand, his has way more PCIe lanes (he probably don't use).

And those PCIe lanes are only Gen 2.0

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL